X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Miniature railings construction?

Whittled this out a while back from scraps of mdf and foamed pvc. It's a small 80ft tugboat called Garnock built in the mid 50's, which is now part of a maritime museum collection on the West coast of Scotland. I've worked to 1/150th scale, so it comes out at around 6 1/4" long, so quite a small model.

Pictured are the bucks which once detailed I'll pull some tools from and mould in epoxy glass, got most of the remaining parts construction sussed, but the railings that go round the lower superstructure are going to be tricky, less than ten thou thick. Am thinking of photoetching the whole lot, as turning ball stanchions at this scale is out of the question for me.

Anyone got some experience of making railings for something similar at this scale?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Thanks Dave. I'll have to etch jig I think, it's just too tiny to try and align things otherwise. Haven't got a resistance soldering rig- they're a lot of dough for what is little more than variable tapped transformer.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Andy,
          You're a brilliant man. There are DIY resistance soldering instructions, I am sure you can create your own.
          Peace,
          tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Peter W
            Captain
            • May 2011

Full range of model ship stanchions from Maritime Models. 1 - 3 hole stanchions

I assume these are just too big ?

Peter

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Sadly yes. Need three hole stanchions just over 6mm high, and the smallest they do are 10mm. Would be interesting to see how they machine such tiny stuff.

Comment

• Peter W
                Captain
                • May 2011

Laboriously I would imagine !

Peter

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

I doubt it- they'd have to charge a lot more for them if they were time consuming.

Comment

• Scott T
                    Commander
                    • May 2009

Maybe you could source some railing from an N-scale locomotive. I have seen some that are tough springy plastic.

Comment

Working...