X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Creeper Motors

I'm curious as to how the creeper motors on the Alfa class were used?
    Did they use it as a silent way of stalking American subs ( but wasn't the Alfa designed as sort of interceptor that would sprint off at full speed to attack enemy boats ) or was it used during handling dockside like the SPM on US boats?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The ALFA creeper-motors? Principally for getting to and away from the pier. And as a back-up if something terrible happens to the running gear.

Norman Polmar says the ALFA was a dash-in-dash-out kind of weapons system, designed to engage Battle Groups, it's ASW utility of secondary importance. I suppose they could slink around using the creepers -- but that damned liquid metal coolant of theirs would require constant use of the primary circulation pumps regardless of the load, so those noise makers would negate the supposed stealth of getting the propulsion turbine off the line.

Just maneuvering and emergency come-home use is my call about the creeper-motors.

David,

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0168.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	60750
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

I used to work for the people who made the Brit creaper motors and primary circ pumps. was impossible to tell either were running, except they felt slightly warm to the touch, couldn't even feel a vibration from them, even using nail contact ;)
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...