Gruesome and debilitating sub-building injuries! Post 'em up!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Gruesome and debilitating sub-building injuries! Post 'em up!

I blame it on lack of sleep after the hurricane, but for whatever reason I absolutely mauled my hands with hobby knives and utility knives a few weeks ago. 1/2" cuts on my right thumb, right palm, and left middle finger. I've burned my fingers soldering, glued them together quasi-permanently, and come this close to amputating my finger in my band saw.

I figured it would be fun to compare war stories of sub-building injuries.

RULES:

1.) It has to have actually happened, not almost happened
    2.) It has to have occurred during the actual construction process of your fleet. We don't need to know about your medical history.
    3.) Best war story gets a prize. I dunno what, but I'll make it worthwhile. Note the active word "story". Maybe you got a blister, but hell.. if you can spin an entertaining yarn, you might just win.

Bob
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I blame it on raw stupidity.

I sawed through my left thumb with a band-saw -- no feeling at the tip now (don't talk while cutting).

Ellie actually cut off the tip of here index finger on the mini table-saw (I removed the safety fence to speed production -- she was not amused).

I burned a hole atop my left foot while metal casting (don't metal cast in socks)

I sprayed molten white-metal into both eyes (eye protection safely secured in the drawer at the time, and I left the spray shield off the machine).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	123353
    "Eye protection?! ... Eye protection???? I got your eye protection right here, pal!"

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Ah, damage occured during the build, tried to grab a max rev spinning dremel tool when she fell of the workingbench.
      I have to say, a diamantcutting wheel slices the flesh like butter, made a deep cut between my right middle and index finger, lost the sense of feeling in both fingers, it ripped my nerves to pieces.
      Only disadvantage is, when i cut into those fingers, i first find my parts covered in blood before i discover the wound.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
        Ah, damage occured during the build, tried to grab a max rev spinning dremel tool when she fell of the workingbench.
        I have to say, a diamantcutting wheel slices the flesh like butter, made a deep cut between my right middle and index finger, lost the sense of feeling in both fingers, it ripped my nerves to pieces.
        Only disadvantage is, when i cut into those fingers, i first find my parts covered in blood before i discover the wound.

Manfred.
        ... and I thought I was a dumb-ass!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

You still are, you bum

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

You still are, you bum

Manfred.
            A reality I prove on a daily bases with sickening assurance.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

I still hate you, no excuses

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Well, the one tiny gash I got, Ellie Merriman called me a P_cat_y. Does mental abuse count?
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                  Well, the one tiny gash I got, Ellie Merriman called me a P_cat_y. Does mental abuse count?
                  try 40 years of that, pal!

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	123376

David
                  (hoping to Christ she does not read this)
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-22-2017, 07:59 PM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Hah, you are doomed David, lettuce for the rest of your live, and pooking with a stick while you do your afternoon nap, go get him girl.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hah, you are doomed David, lettuce for the rest of your live, and pooking with a stick while you do your afternoon nap, go get him girl.

Manfred.
                      First words out of the Preacher's mouth when Ellie and I went through the marriage ceremony: "She'll put you on the straight-and-narrow!". But, to be fair, in time she turned this nasty Torpedoman-Diver into a pretty fair Craftsman.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Halleluhah
                        I went underground

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          Welcome to my underwater realm!
                          • Aug 2009

Opening this up one last go-round for anyone interested in playing!

I'll pick the best story and the winner gets a free remote on/off switch (no more busting into your model to turn it on or off!). I'll pay shipping for anyone domestic, but for those of you across the respective ponds, just pay shipping and I'll send the unit at no charge.

Deadline is Friday!

Bob

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

This is embarrasing. I rammed a piece of stainless steel tubing into the end of my thumb whilst making a radio mast last year. No big deal really except that when I pulled it out it produced a wonderful stream of pulsing, bright red blood which shot all over the work shop. I ran upstairs to show She Who Must Be Obeyed what a great job I'd done and she was so impressed. Stupid AND messy, but not too bad.

However, THIS tiny littly speck on my finger -

Name:	IMG_1624.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	123689

is all that now remains as evidence of the most painful thing that I have done to myself in a long time. I say this from the perspective of a man who once jumped off his tank (15 feet ish) to the ground whilst wearing a set of binoculars around his neck. Feet hit ground, knees flex, binoculars swing down and hit bollocks! Body immediately snaps back to attention, binoculars swing up and slap man in face, man hunches forward, binoculars swing down and slap man in bollocks again etc etc. My crew begged me to do it again but I really couldn't move after this little episode.

Back to the finger. I was drilling some holes, (sound familiar), holding the drill with my right hand and clearing the swarf with my left, when, due to an amazing level of co-ordination, my left index finger touched the end of the spinning drill at an oblique angle. It immediately caught the skin and BURRIED itself in my finger - about half way through and well into the bone. I have been shot, blown up and bitten by an ocean going sized Indonesian centipede but nothing that I remember ever felt as bad as this. It was like my finger had been snap frozed and then hit with a hammer. SWMBO was very symathetic as well! Not!
                            At least I have this huge battle scar to help me remember.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Oh I do not feel so bad about posting my image. I crawled into a corner after Mrs. M shamed me..... I tried to explain it was days old, but Mr. M kept wanting proof. LOL

Name:	IMG_4944.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	123692
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...