X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tugfan
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2010

Kilo flood grate pattern

Anyone have a template for the Trumpeter Kilo flood grates on the bottom of the sub?
  • Rpmtech1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2009

In all my searchings and collection of pictures i have yet to see any picts of these. I would be interested to know too.

Comment

• Outrider
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

Is this still an open item? David Merriman came up with a pattern he would probably call more practical than authentic. That would be of practical use. But the basic question remains... Does anybody have info on the flooding/venting openings on any of the Kilo variants?

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

If you are still talking about details on the bottom of the sub, I dont have anything. Except Ive got a picture of a Oscar grill on the bottom rear I believe, perhaps itll be similar? If you are talking about above waterline holes, perhaps one or two of my pictures will help. Ill search for that Oscar picture and post it here later.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kursk_14.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	61968
          Probably not much help but here it is.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
            Is this still an open item? David Merriman came up with a pattern he would probably call more practical than authentic. That would be of practical use. But the basic question remains... Does anybody have info on the flooding/venting openings on any of the Kilo variants?
            It's pretty much scale -- I have a profile drawing that just captures the flood-drain holes. So, longitudinally I have their length and location on the KILO pretty close. But, as to their distance from keel (CL), that was impossible to pick-off with any precession -- best guess there.

This is, Captain Anal .... over and out.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]7211[/ATTACH]
              Probably not much help but here it is.

The square holes under the keel block foundations are flood-drain holes (with gratings). And I would think are representative of Soviet/Russian practice.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Dave, In the picture I posted of the underside of an Oscar , what are the double lines heavily cut into the hull? You can see a set right next to the big round grate. They are all over my Oscar. As im repairing and touching them up, Im asking myself......what are these things?

Comment

• Outrider
                  Commander
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                  It's pretty much scale -- I have a profile drawing that just captures the flood-drain holes. So, longitudinally I have their length and location on the KILO pretty close. But, as to their distance from keel (CL), that was impossible to pick-off with any precession -- best guess there.

This is, Captain Anal .... over and out.

David,
                  Wait a second... these aren't in the Cabal reports... How are your customers supposed to sort this out? There are some good photos of you on the drill press, but no actual pattern... I've got to watch over a 14 year old with a Dremel tool here. Keeping the secrets to yourself again, huh? I see how it is...

Profile drawing? Is there a source you can point us to?
                  Last edited by Outrider; 04-13-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Dave, In the picture I posted of the underside of an Oscar , what are the double lines heavily cut into the hull? You can see a set right next to the big round grate. They are all over my Oscar. As im repairing and touching them up, Im asking myself......what are these things?
                    At first I wanted to suggest that they were big-ass fillet welds -- but that does not make sense since the outer hull plating is likely 1/2" or so. Expansion breaks? Don't know.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
                      Commander
                      • Feb 2009

I've always suspected that these are some form of sensor, but exactly what they're sensing I have no idea. I've noticed the same structures on Akula and DELTA IV to name a few...
                      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                      KMc Designs

Comment

• Outrider
                        Commander
                        • Aug 2008

As to the Oscar...

How's about a channel for a degaussing cable? These beasts are huge chunks of metal...

Comment

Working...