Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Some new models

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	115996 I guess a few folks have already heard of Zero Bubble models, but I'm going to give them a plug here. I'm hoping HWSNBN can tell us which Sub-drivers to use on these boats. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	115994

Model kits for Radio control Submarines. Principally dealing with Cold war era Nuclear submarines. These kits are fibreglass and are scale models of full size vessels.
    Last edited by Kazzer; 09-11-2016, 06:30 PM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Glad to see that somebody is making submarine kits.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

David Hughes i have know for many years. Tirelessly building his own models. Great to see these coming along.
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

I just received one of each of Dave's kits. Kudos to him for managing to do what so few have done in mastering, molding and casting his own boats.

Dave is the first one to admit that his work is not "professional grade". When you get your kit you'll find that the hull will be slightly warped (nothing that some internal bracing won't correct), the surface texture will be rough and the scribing a bit crude. Having said all of that, you just paid $150 for a fiberglass sub hull, so there is no need to bellyache. A bit of diligence with some fine grit paper and a file will see the hulls cleaned up and absolutely serviceable.

I plan on dropping in a nice 2.5" cylinder that I have laying around here just to see what these boats will build into. Hopefully within a month or so it might be done and I'll have a full video review of the kit and process.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to order. You get what you pay for. In this case, you get something pretty good and with some unique subjects to boot!

Bob.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

I just did up a quick review of the two kits that I received. Feel free to check it out!:

This is a quick overview of my first impressions of the new kit offerings by David Hughes of Zero Bubble Model design out of Australia. David currently offer...

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Good review there Bob. Are you going to do a build on these? I would be interested to see how you go about taking these models up to the First class work that you are known for.
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Davidh
              Captain
              • Nov 2010

Hello All,

I just stumbled across Bobs YouTube critique of the two kits that I sent him. I was disappointed, .. Not with Bob, not with the video as such, but with how the Resolution kit looked. The air pocket damage At the front is frustrating. It did'nt leave the workshop like that. Another thing to work on.

Bob informed me that the video presentation would not sugar coat my work and it certainly did'nt, for that I am thankful. Bob has done a good and balanced video. I am frustrated with my own level of work.. I appreciate Bobs efforts.

I have started this endeavour simply because I enjoy building and creating these kind of models. As mentioned I am up front with people that they are basic kits and they are far from perfect. They are cheap simply because I cannot justify a higher price even though I put several hours into post mould processing. Yes my next kit sold will pay for the vacuum pump..

This is is a slow road of development and I am grateful to the 4 customers I have had the pleasure of supplying kits to. I really do hope they enjoy making their models and really look forward to seeing pics of them on the water. This is a small operation I am a one man show and envisage only small volume. It will never be a full time job, I have chosen unique boats because no-one else seems to be doing them and I believe these boats deserve to be modelled. If I can help someone get into the hobby with a unique and reasonably priced kit, then great. As we know there isn't a lot of people giving this a go so I thought I would.

I have been putting myself through the Merriman school of hard knocks. With each new kit I will get better. That's what I've been told anyway,
              what I do know is that if you are willing to work with my boats and do some corrective work ,you will end up with a nice sub...

thank you , everyone,

regards

David Hughes
              zero bubble model design.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davidh
                Hello All,

I just stumbled across Bobs YouTube critique of the two kits that I sent him. I was disappointed, .. Not with Bob, not with the video as such, but with how the Resolution kit looked. The air pocket damage At the front is frustrating. It did'nt leave the workshop like that. Another thing to work on.

Bob informed me that the video presentation would not sugar coat my work and it certainly did'nt, for that I am thankful. Bob has done a good and balanced video. I am frustrated with my own level of work.. I appreciate Bobs efforts.

I have started this endeavour simply because I enjoy building and creating these kind of models. As mentioned I am up front with people that they are basic kits and they are far from perfect. They are cheap simply because I cannot justify a higher price even though I put several hours into post mould processing. Yes my next kit sold will pay for the vacuum pump..

This is is a slow road of development and I am grateful to the 4 customers I have had the pleasure of supplying kits to. I really do hope they enjoy making their models and really look forward to seeing pics of them on the water. This is a small operation I am a one man show and envisage only small volume. It will never be a full time job, I have chosen unique boats because no-one else seems to be doing them and I believe these boats deserve to be modelled. If I can help someone get into the hobby with a unique and reasonably priced kit, then great. As we know there isn't a lot of people giving this a go so I thought I would.

I have been putting myself through the Merriman school of hard knocks. With each new kit I will get better. That's what I've been told anyway,
                what I do know is that if you are willing to work with my boats and do some corrective work ,you will end up with a nice sub...

thank you , everyone,

regards

David Hughes
                zero bubble model design.
                I stand ready, with whip in hand, to take your through the processes and techniques you need to employ to make better masters and proper tooling (sound of snapping latex as I slip on and seat the gloves).

Simply put down one-word "I need to know more about this" notes -- one at a time -- in this forum and I'll provide answers in the form of narrative and pictures.

Class is in session!

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

David, I would not beat yourself up so much. You are just beginning and what you produced is a very good start. You see areas you can improve and that is what you do improve. For the price, no one can complain. It is a great value. Just wait and see. When Bob is done, people will want your sub.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bwi 971
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I stand ready, with whip in hand, to take your through the processes and techniques you need to employ to make better masters and proper tooling (sound of snapping latex as I slip on and seat the gloves).

M
                    Ok that' it..........I have to sit for at least one year on a Himalaya mountain to get this erased.....damn you.

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

Ok that' it..........I have to sit for at least one year on a Himalaya mountain to get this erased.....damn you.
                      you're welcome.

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...