1:1 scale question -How do single screw subs manoeuvre alongside a pier or dock?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

1:1 scale question -How do single screw subs manoeuvre alongside a pier or dock?

A question about real world subs.
    I came across this great photo of a Sturgeon close to the pier on the FAS site:

Its a great photo (I just love these cold war heroes).

Whilst I am not sure if the sub is docking or leaving - a question sprang to mind - how do subs like this, (with one main screw) manoeuvre along side a pier or dock?
    Do auxiliary propulsion units play a role? Or is it just the skill of the guy at the helm?
    Or are tugs required?

PS..The photo looks like a Pacific Island port - perhaps Suva in Fiji or Hawaii? Does it look familiar to anyone? It is 1973.
    Thanks

John
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

I guess they use the Secondary Propulsion Motor.
    Here's an article on the LA class shiphandling.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Our boats use tugs for help with docking. The Vanguard class has a retractable auxilliary thruster near the stern, which I believe is nicknamed the 'egg whisk'. This is primarily for emergency use, as it's powered by diesel and for use in limp home mode should something occur that knocks out the reactor and associated kit.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Thanks guys
        John
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• 639mpa
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2010

I was an Officer of the Deck on the USS Tautog SS(N)639. The ship was outfitted with an Extendable Propulsion Motor (Outboard). The motor could rotate 360 Degrees. If the ship were docked with the Port side to dock, the outboard was extended and trained to 270 and started. The stern lines were slacked while the bow lines were held. The stern pushed away from the dock. Just before the desired angle to the dock was achieved the outboard was stopped and at the desired angle the stern lines were made fast. When the ship was still the order all(Yes all with only one screw) back 1/3 was given with appropriate rudder commands and the ship backed away from the dock. All lines were let go. The outboard was housed.Docking was usually the reverse of the above.
          We also used tugs on occasion but they had to be fitted with special bows for subs. Our CO rarely had us use them but they stood by during most docking/underway evolutions. The order "House the outboard" was answered over the headphones as "it's pretty good today". Get it How's not house. That's how we did it 1970-1976.
          One SSN which lost its lower rudder was steered with a combination of rudder, speed, anchor, and training the extended outboard and did it that way back to port.
          In some shallow ports you had to be careful not to stick it in the mud.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 639mpa
            I was an Officer of the Deck on the USS Tautog SS(N)639. The ship was outfitted with an Extendable Propulsion Motor (Outboard). The motor could rotate 360 Degrees. If the ship were docked with the Port side to dock, the outboard was extended and trained to 270 and started. The stern lines were slacked while the bow lines were held. The stern pushed away from the dock. Just before the desired angle to the dock was achieved the outboard was stopped and at the desired angle the stern lines were made fast. When the ship was still the order all(Yes all with only one screw) back 1/3 was given with appropriate rudder commands and the ship backed away from the dock. All lines were let go. The outboard was housed.Docking was usually the reverse of the above.
            We also used tugs on occasion but they had to be fitted with special bows for subs. Our CO rarely had us use them but they stood by during most docking/underway evolutions. The order "House the outboard" was answered over the headphones as "it's pretty good today". Get it How's not house. That's how we did it 1970-1976.
            One SSN which lost its lower rudder was steered with a combination of rudder, speed, anchor, and training the extended outboard and did it that way back to port.
            In some shallow ports you had to be careful not to stick it in the mud.
            Wow what an insightful post - thanks for contributing and welcome to Sub Drivers.
            Given that you served on my favourite sub class of all times, can I ask when Tautog and the other Sturgeons receive the towed array and its fairing?
            I have seen some Sturgeons mid 1970's without it and some early 1980's with it?

Best
            J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• 639mpa
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2010

I arrived on Tautog 9/71. At that time we had a connector "pigtail" that was attached to the stabilizer in port just before we went to sea. The pigtail was secured to the top of the hull. Once we were out of Pearl a service craft connected the STASS to the pigtail. Needless to say it had to be pretty calm. In those cold war days the STASS and pigtail were in limited supply and were rotated around the boats as the mission dictated. We were limited in the ports we could visit because they had to be capable of removing it and not all were. Our first overhaul (non-refueling) in 1973 did not get us the fairing so it had to be at the next overhaul maybe in 78. It depended on the overhaul cycle as to when you got it. I left the boat 2/75 after I qualified engineer.
              Bob

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Thanks Bob, so the STASS was this the fairing containing the TB-16 towed array that can be seen on the 637 class's upper port side casing or is that the pigtail?
                Sorry just not familiar with the "STASS" and "pigtail" terminology.

I did read in the this text below and elsewhere - that initially the array was in short supply and could be "clipped" on.
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...