Ahoy Fellow Captains and Crews To The Yard!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AQUASUB
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

Ahoy Fellow Captains and Crews To The Yard!!

Mike Caswell has given me the honor to have my own forum and I am delighted and thank you!!!

I promise I will not get into a tizzy just for the heck of it, but I do defend my builds and others if warranted as any other good Captain and designer/innovator, builder would. Similar experiences have happened to the Wright Brothers to Admiral Richover with his attitude he was disliked but he made it happen and safely something thought to be impossible.

I have always enjoyed to innovate as it is a true challenge to find what works and not, sometimes the hard way , but with patience and a drive that never gives up no matter what is said. Out of the box, off the wall thinking with a budget always in mind, it will eventually come out fine, for on the high seas is where it is proven and with telemetry that is the acsepted scientific means to demonstrate important findings in any prototype. Not" its warm or hot" or "feels like its under alot of pressure feely things", I like hard facts not bull.

So with that said I invite all, no matter your skill level or devices , or even if it does not pertain to RC Subs, one never knows it might become useful in the future for that is an important part of innovation to discuss the possibilities. Always feel free to ask why, or to enter your own ideas diagrams ,pictures etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I will start with the refitting of my Type XXI by Robbe , it was built some time ago and was greatly modified to enhance its capabilities to static dive. I could not figure out why a sub of this size and cost was not a static diver, or had a better means to retract the dive planes. So off I went to see what could be done and it came out pretty good, not perfect but at least she performed as I had wanted her to. Even with that all done to her she weighed dry less than the original out of the box would have.

Well after several years of missions came the Aquacasing and another build of the Type XXI for a client and that is where I had a chance to really do a complete redesign of the casing, no more single bolt method, but something much better. I have seen many complaints about them breaking when closed up and that's no fun to fix on this great sub!

I will post what I have done in the past, and what is going on now with up to date improvements in casing design and mini hydraulics .
    Hydraulics what a fun field that is in RC Subs it can be applied to so many things like masts,doors, stabilization or trimming to retracting arms or dive planes, its cheap durable and very strong but most of all extremely scale like!

I hope we can all have some fun here and exchange ideas enjoy!

Dave Amur Sub Yard
    Last edited by Kazzer; 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM.
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt
  • AQUASUB
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	type21 new 002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	59211Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	59210Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	59209Click image for larger version

Name:	type21 new 009.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	59208Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	59207Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	59206Click image for larger version

Name:	aV1sBI49-5b887cd9675d9d81427f484696e81bdb.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	59205Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	59204Click image for larger version

Name:	TYPE XXI HYDRO LAYOUT.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	59203Some pics durring and after build of both subs
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2010

Name:	AFT CASING INSTALL.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	59226

Name:	DIVE P SIDE.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	59225

Name:	ANCKOR WINCH.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	59224

Name:	4ee7_1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	59223

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	59222

I plan on using this setup for the masts, its easy to make and has worked well on other subs.

I will be experimenting with hydraulic fluids that are more system friendly as the antifreeze and water mix used before is not lubricating the syringes well enough over time. I will post results as they come.

The diagrams show what I have done to the second XXI I built for a client, it was very advanced in that the mechanisms employed worked very well like the retracting planes and the way they operated while extended is totally different than the original way, by employing Lego gear box the motion is reversed and moved 4 inches higher from the casings forward end cap that houses the servo. A magnet on both ends of the jointing shafts connect and disconnect the shafts when the casing is removed from the sub, no tools and always aligns perfectly.
      Another addition will be the anchor winch and anchor that works via the radio.

Dave
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Kazzer; 11-04-2010, 06:42 AM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
        Lieutenant
        • Nov 2010

A video that shows the operation, it can also move much slower for true scale effect!

Last edited by Kazzer; 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2010

Name:	331120532406_0_BG.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	59229I intend to raise the derelict!
          Scuttled by the Germans now to sail under the seas again!:biggrin:
          Last edited by Kazzer; 11-04-2010, 06:48 AM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Dave, really good stuff and welcome aboard!!!
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• AQUASUB
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2010

Thank you Capitan!

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Dave - can you explain the workings of the diagram on the rising and retracting scopes a little more.
                Thanks
                John
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• AQUASUB
                  Lieutenant
                  • Nov 2010

Hello down under!

This is a video that shows how it works in an Aquacasing, but it can be installed in antifreeze. I am currently experimenting with a better fluid. It must not damage the lines nor syringes as mineral oil will cause swelling and jam up the syringe. It is also possible to use air actuators like 'Bimba' by simply leaving one inlet open to the water.

The system is super easy to use. No electronics are needed to limit the syringes operation. One bottoms out while the other extends. Simply reverse the pump and go again. Its speed can be fully adjustable. It is also very strong and super smooth.

Dave
                  Same system without basterry on top.Notice the speed is faster.The stop at both ends of travel is adjusted bt where the 2 scres are placed and the amont of f...
                  Last edited by Kazzer; 11-07-2010, 05:43 PM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                    Lieutenant
                    • Nov 2010

Here a 12v gel cell is being lifted, notice how smooth it is. Any speed desired is possible by employing an ESC , an inexpensive one will do.

Components are a 12v gear pump, large silicone fuel line, 3/16 aluminum tubing, ESC or reversing switch and 2 or more actuators or syringes.

What is interesting is that multiple masts or doors can be moved with just one channel, as the syringes fill one by one the pressure is transferred to then ext. I had up to 6 syringes working in series and with plenty of reserve pressure to operate multiple masts or doors.
                    When retracting, the fluid must go some place, hence the counter syringes. No need for a reservoir and air never enters the system.
                    When the mast has gone all the way down it bottoms out locking out any more movement and the gear pump is not damaged as it allows for "blow-by" until it is turned off. The same is done when the masts are up, no damage to structures or hydraulics as the syringes have "locked out" any further movement. Just cut the syringes and install screw stops at the desired point of extension.
                    These syringes can be cut very short for say cleats that retract, or where limited space is required.
                    In my 5 ft Alfa, a radio mast had to extend very high and started from the keel about 2 ft. It was done with K and S tubes and rods and no ESC.

You will find that mini hydraulics is loads of fun and brings a hole new range of capabilities to your sub not possible without spending a lot more and far more complex less reliable methods.

Here is a short clip on the hydraulic masts mechanism that I made for the Arkmodel 212A .It uses 2 syringes an ESC and fule tubbing anda micro gear pump.The ...
                    Last edited by Kazzer; 11-08-2010, 06:54 AM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                      Lieutenant
                      • Nov 2010

Oops

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

President Roosevelt

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Hi Dave,
                        many thanks for sharing this great information.
                        If I may I have a suggestion, could you perhaps consider putting up different threads for the different subjects / items that you are sharing. Might be a bit easier to follow that way.

Many thanks

John
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• AQUASUB
                          Lieutenant
                          • Nov 2010

Yes I thought about that in the beginning. I will have to ask Mike if he could set it up.

Thanks John
                          Last edited by Kazzer; 11-08-2010, 12:54 PM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• AQUASUB
                            Lieutenant
                            • Nov 2010

Name:	14037_71_1.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	59249Click image for larger version

Name:	LATERAL DIVE PLAINS.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	59248Click image for larger version

Name:	MASTS TYPE XXXXI.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	59247Click image for larger version

Name:	Pq139_qr-5b887cd9675d9d81427f484696e81bdb.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	59246Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	59245

Name:	TRIMMING SYSTEM.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	59244Click image for larger version

Name:	PUMP CONTROL SW.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	59242

The pump I found that works well and can be sealed and submerged is a Volvo washer pump costs 8 bucks at NAPA Auto. Even laterally retracting dive planes as on the 5ft Alfa.

Just imagine what can be done with Mini Hydraulic systems!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy_ivqFO8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy_ivqFO8I
                            Dave
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Kazzer; 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM.

President Roosevelt

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Dave, That seems like a very economical and reliable way to tackle a difficult problem of moving periscopes and other cool stuff. If I only had the space.
                              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...