Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Making Up The Kerf

Cutting the hull is one thing. Making up the material lost to the cutting blade (known as kerf) is another.I'll address here how to make a straight and true cut using a well controlled diamond wheel saw and how to back-fill the resulting kerf with one of several materials.

Regardless of the material the hull is made of -- polystyrene, wood, or GRP -- cutting the hull is the same process: The hull is secured over a work table so that the hull separation plane (the cut line) is parallel with the work tables surface. Then, using a diamond disc spun by a moto-tool, the horizontal cuts need to separate the upper from the lower hull half are made.

CUTTING THE HULL AND MAKING UP THE KERF WITH PLASTIC STRIP

The hull is secured to the work table with straps of heavy twin. under the keel and glued to the work table are strips of #100 sandpaper that keeps the keel from sliding along the table once the twine straps are made up and cinched down. The hull is shimmed till the proposed separation plane is parallel with the surface plane of the work table. Note that the hull cut stops near each securing twine strap -- that material is latter cut with a hand-held hack saw blade after the hull is removed from the work table.
    ]

Take a humble moto-tool equipped with a diamond saw wheel, mount the moto-tool into a fixture that holds the blade at a specific height over the work table and horizontal, wax the bottom of the fixture, and you have the means of making a precise equatorial cut around the model submarines hull. As long as the hull is held securely to the work table and the cutting fixture slides easily over the surface of the work table, all is good!

Once all the horizontal hull separation cuts are completed with the diamond saw (less those portions under the securing twine straps), the hull is taken off the work table and the equatorial cut is finished with a hand-held hack saw blade. The required vertical cuts are made with a very thin razor saw (very narrow kerf), separating the two hull halves.

Since the substrate to this Revell 1/72 GATO plastic model kit is polystyrene I elected, with this particular kit, to make up the lost kerf with strips of polystyrene -- thickness of the strip just a bit more than the thickness of the cutting wheel. Got to account for slop. You can either adhere the strip to the hull edges with CA or weld the strips to the hull with a solvent type cement. I'm the impatient type ... I went with the CA.

CUTTING THE HULL AND MAKING UP THE KERF WITH CA REINFORCED BONDO

I've assembled four Revell GATO's to date. On this one I went with a different means of making up the material lost to kerf. I laid on masking tape to the outside and inside of the hull, with the upper edge of the tape extending past the edge of the lower hull by about 3/32", the mean thickness of kerf lost to the diamond wheel.
    A two part automotive filler was catalyzed and pushed into the space between the two tape strips and left to cure hard.

Very carefully, the outboard strip of tap was removed and thin formula CA was applied over the outboard face of the filler. The very porous filler becomes saturated with the CA. The result is an enhanced bond between filler and edge of the lower hull. This thin strip of filler, now bonded to the edges of the lower hull, assumes about the same surface hardness as the surrounding polystyrene.

The inboard strip of masking tape is removed and the CA treatment repeated. The CA also enhances the bond between filler and plastic model.

The completed hull separation task. The cuts made and plastic lost to kerf made up with automotive filler strengthened with CA adhesive.

After outfitting the upper and lower hull with indexing tabs, filler was mixed up and applied on and near the seam line between the assembled upper and lower hull. Before the filler cured hard, a knife blade was run along the seam to prevent the filler from sticking the two hull halves together. After the filler cured hard, I went at it with a soft sanding block. This is how you get a tight, barely visible seam between the two hull halves.

And here you have the two hull halves, material lost to kerf built back up to produce a very tight seam between the two. Note the use of sheet styrene indexing tabs, there to insure a tight, well registered fit.

Who is John Galt?
    • Aug 2008

After outfitting the upper and lower hull with indexing tabs, filler was mixed up and applied on and near the seam line between the assembled upper and lower hull. Before the filler cured hard, a knife blade was run along the seam to prevent the filler from sticking the two hull halves together. After the filler cured hard, I went at it with a soft sanding block. This is how you get a tight, barely visible seam between the two hull halves.

And here you have the two hull halves, material lost to kerf built back up to produce a very tight seam between the two. Note the use of sheet styrene indexing tabs, there to insure a tight, well registered fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	112
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	107696

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	111
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	107697

The completed GATO plastic model kit, converted to r/c operation.
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-05-2015, 08:04 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Great article Dave! Very useful. I dont know how you did it but you got your pictures to blow up real nice. Mine are still coming out too small.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        Great article Dave! Very useful. I dont know how you did it but you got your pictures to blow up real nice. Mine are still coming out too small.

Neither do I, Pal. Some are big, others small -- still learning how to drive this crazy car!

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Avera
          Lieutenant
          • May 2012

I have a question regarding the saw wheel. You mention its a diamond saw wheel, but the image of the wheel attached to the Dremel looks like a regular saw wheel. The diamond saw wheels I have seen does not have any "teeth". Can you clarify the blade used? I am working on a Revell plastic sub 1/96 and looking to cut the hull without melting it.

Also which tool do you use for the vertical hull cuts?

Thanks.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Avera
            I have a question regarding the saw wheel. You mention its a diamond saw wheel, but the image of the wheel attached to the Dremel looks like a regular saw wheel. The diamond saw wheels I have seen does not have any "teeth". Can you clarify the blade used? I am working on a Revell plastic sub 1/96 and looking to cut the hull without melting it.

Thanks.

I've used saw, diamond, and abrasive wheels to cut polystyrene. They all work if you keep the feed rate very, very low. Diamond wheels work the best as it is the thinnest wheel I can find, which means minimal kerf lost to the cut.

Use a fresh (never has seen GRP or metal) razor saw for the radial cuts.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Hello
              Reg. your use of automotive filler, is it flexible when it has dried? With the hull flexing when installing and removing the WTC, anychance of filler cracking?
              George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
                Hello
                Reg. your use of automotive filler, is it flexible when it has dried? With the hull flexing when installing and removing the WTC, anychance of filler cracking?
                George

Yeah, it'll flex fine. But not if you fail to sand the hull with #240 before laying down the goo. After the filler hardens and you've made your passes with file and sandpaper, coat the face and edges of the filler with thin formula CA to seal and strengthen the bond between filler and styrene. Sand smooth. It'll flex enough not to crack. Trust me.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Thanks.
                  1/96 Revell sub? Which one, pray tell.

Comment

• Avera
                    Lieutenant
                    • May 2012

Wilhelm Bauer Type XXI. Hopefully a dynamic diver. Want to do it on the cheap as more of learning exercise

Comment

• Avera
                      Lieutenant
                      • May 2012

Another question(s) regarding the filler and CA technique:

The way I read the process is that you first tape and fill the lower hull with the body putty (Evercoat 425 Metal Glaze Ultra 30oz pumptainer with Fiberglass Evercost 359 cream hardener - blue)

After hardening, remove the outer tape and apply thin CA (I presume here that you are holding the lower hull upside or angled down to prevent CA dripping down the hull) How high is the tape top from the cut, 2-3mm?

After hardening, do the same to the inside part.

Mate the top hull with the lower hull then sand the top ridge of the lower hull a bit to insure close fit in case the height of the tape s too tall lifting the upper hull higher than you want.

Once the lower hull kerf is corrected and the two hulls are mated again, fill the space of the kerf (now to account for any upper hull gap) with body putty.

use a razor to cut a separation line between the hulls.

Sand once fully harden.

Now what about the vertical kerf? Does that get the same treatment?

Which technique produces the best and strongest results the putty/CA or polystyrene strip and CA? Seems the putty/CA is subject to chipping vs a strip which may possibly break free (in a longer piece) from the hull on impact

In reference to the polystyrene strip do you start out flush with the outer or inner hull before sanding? I presume that you are laying the thickest part of the strip against the cut so that the width exceeds the width (thickest) of the hull. I guess this may not matter if the strip is square.

Thanks for your reply,

Andrew
                      Last edited by Avera; 12-18-2015, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

You re-build to only one-half the hull. Note that I marked two closely spaced, parallel lines, with the saw cut in the middle of the lines. After separating the two hull halves both hull edges are sanded to the line. and the kerf made up to only one hull half.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Avera
                          Lieutenant
                          • May 2012

Thanks for clarifying the horizontal kerf and especially for the double parallel lines, but what about the vertical cuts? I actually had several questions embedded in the prior response. Sorry to bother, but this is perhaps one of the most critical steps in the entire building process.

Again thanks....

Andrew

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks for clarifying the horizontal kerf and especially for the double parallel lines, but what about the vertical cuts? I actually had several questions embedded in the prior response. Sorry to bother, but this is perhaps one of the most critical steps in the entire building process.

Again thanks....

Andrew

The radial breaks get the same treatment as the horizontal, Andrew.

No sweat. Ask away.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Andrew, I resisted doing a horizontal cut on my first sub, but since that time, I have done them. The hardest part is just cutting it (fear factor). Fixing any hiccups will just happen and make more sense to you once the cut is done. Do not get paralysis by analysis. You may get a great cut and a strip of styrene will be all you need. You will not know what you will need until you do it on a first time cut. Cut it, come back with pictures, we will all laugh, well at least my cuts brought on laughter, and have a better idea how to guide you with what you have.
                              Radial cuts were the easiest for me once I drew the cut line. I use a jeweler scoping saw, but there are other ways.

Peace,
                              Tom
                              Last edited by trout; 12-19-2015, 03:35 AM.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...