X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2013

Battery minder use

how is this wired in a submarine application?
    and also for surface ships?
    i used LIPO GUARD and knows how it is hooked up. bur this one i cannot figure out.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Are you referring to the BLM (battery link monitor)?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Like David, I assume you're referring to the BLM.

The BLM monitors two things: battery voltage and radio signal. The unit is designed to output a signal to a servo or other device upon one of two scenarios:

1.) loss of viable radio signal
      2.) voltage drop below minimum acceptable threshold

If either situation occurs, the unit outputs a signal to the relevant accessory (servo, etc), which moves into a pre-determined position. For a submarine, the output is typically "Blow ballast", bringing the sub to the surface. I'm not sure what you'd use it for in a surface ship, except perhaps to output to an onboard LED light, so you can see if/when your batteries are low?

Comment

• cliffhanger67
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2013

Yes, BLM.
        I wanted to use it for surface ships to monitor battery so that it will stop battery use at a predetermined voltage. I have built my fantasy submarines, 3 now so I wish to move on onto other types of boats. Sometimes I end up running the boats too long or too aggressive that my LIPO Batts go bad. So how do I wire it so that the motor stops running at a preset voltage? Thanks to the replies.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

The BLM triggers an output when the battery reaches a low voltage state. It won't shut anything down (unless you wire it to a relay, of course), but it could sound an alarm, flash lights, or anything else you can think of.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
            Lieutenant
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by SubHuman
            The BLM triggers an output when the battery reaches a low voltage state. It won't shut anything down (unless you wire it to a relay, of course), but it could sound an alarm, flash lights, or anything else you can think of.
            Ok, there are 3 terminals on the BLM: A-power, B-input signal, C-failsafe. A will be connected to the power bus. What about B and C? Thank you for the assist. i wanted to use on my surface boats to prevent LIPO Batt damage by running too low voltage.
            Last edited by cliffhanger67; 04-29-2020, 06:58 AM. Reason: clarify use

Comment

Working...