X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

SUBFEST 2022 Official Event Thread

This thread will provide information and updates to the SUBFEST 2022 event in Cohutta, Georgia on September 16th to 18th, 2022

Click image for larger version  Name:	SUBFEST2022_color.jpg Views:	61 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	163669

WHAT is SUBFEST?
    SUBFEST 2022 will be third annual, tremendously successful RC submarine event.

It is an opportunity for RC submarine enthusiasts to gather together to run their boats, see each other's projects, learn from each other, attend seminars, win prizes, compete against one another, and generally.... have an awesome time.

SUBFEST is not only for sub skippers. Anyone is welcome and there is no better way to "get your feet wet" if you're thinking about getting into the hobby than coming in, talking about subs with experienced owners, and getting your hands on the sticks of a real, working RC submarine.

WHEN is SUBFEST?
    SUBFEST 2022 will be taking place from Friday, September 16th to Sunday, September 18th, 2022. Events run throughout the day, and the event schedule will be posted as we get closer to the event.

WHERE is SUBFEST?
    SUBFEST 2022 will be re-visiting the amazing Red Clay Resort in Cohutta Georgia. The facility is absolutely perfect for the event and features crystal clear spring fed water with concrete bottom and shoreline, grassy area surrounds, covered picnic areas, concession stands, washrooms, nearby parking and much more. There is RV parking on-site if you want to set up a motorhome or tent on site (though there is no power/water hookups, so come prepared!).

WHERE do we stay?
    SUBFEST 2022 is located approximately half an hour east of the Chatanooga, TN airport, and 20 minutes south of Cleveland, TN. Both cities offer multiple options for hotel accommodations, and staying in east Chatanooga or south Cleveland will cut your commute time down even further. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options in close proximity to the event, but realistically, you will only be commuting once in the morning and once in the evening, so this isn't a major issue at all. There are food options onsite, so you won't have to leave the resort until you're subbed out (as if that could happen).

One of our past attendees has let me know that he highly recommends Hampton Inn Ringgold-Ft. Oglethorpe. Here are his comments:

Me and the wife stayed here last year. Great place and a nice restaurant just across the street. 20 minutes away from the subrun. I don’t tolerate bad hotels, but this one I can recommend. I’ve already booked my reservation.

WHAT happens at SUBFEST?
    SUBFEST 2022 will feature three days of RC submarine action.
    • Unlimited access to the crystal clear waters of the Red Clay Resort's spring-fed pool
    • In-person demonstrations, seminars and Q&A sessions with some of the hobby's most experienced builders
    • Event Donations including a FULL RC submarine builder's package ($1500 value!)
    • T-shirts for all submarine skippers
    • Contests for navigation, engineering and scale
    • Skipper networking
    • Evening on-site dinners (let's hope for the same amazing seafood boil as last year!)
    • SO MUCH MORE!

AGENDA: (subject to change)

Thursday, September 15th, 2022:
    • 12:00-17:00: Attendee/exhibitor arrival, general meet and greet
    • 18:00: Dinner at local restaurant - details TBA

Friday, September 16th, 2022
    • 08:00: Gates open / Registration / t-shirts / raffle tickets
    • 09:30: Event Announcements and roll call
    • 10:00: Obstacle Course overview and demo
    • 11:00: Seminar #1: Sub Operations 101
    • 12:00: Lunch served from on site concession stand
    • 14:00: Seminar #2: High frequency radios in submarines
    • 18:00: Dinner at Venue: Low Country Boil

Saturday, September 17th, 2022:
    • 08:00: Gates open / Registration / t-shirts
    • 09:00: Event Announcements and roll call
    • 09:30-12:00: Sub Skipper interviews, Obstacle course opens for trials
    • 11:00: Seminar #3: Topic TBA
    • 12:00: Lunch from onsite concession stand
    • 13:00: Open forum / Q&A and RC Submarine discussions with experts
    • 14:00: Group photos/video
    • 16:00: The Great Submarine Oval Race
    • 17:00:
      • Bottom Gun achievement list,
      • Winners of awards announced
      • Raffle prize and donor overview. Last chance for tickets
      • Live raffle drawing
    • 18:00: Dinner at venue: Steak and potatoes
    • 20:00: Night run open to all boats. Glow sticks provided

Sunday, September 18th, 2022:
    • 08:00: Gates open, pond open to all for last runs, fond farewells
    • 12:00: Venue closed to attendees
    Last edited by RCSubGuy; 08-19-2022, 07:49 AM.
  • RCSubGuy
    • Aug 2009

The World's
    BEST RC SUBMARINE EVENT
    Returns!

Subfest 2022 is now only five weeks away, and the time to register and make plans for attendance is now!

This year is shaping up to be better than ever, with more events, more prizes, more attendees and more fun. You absolutely don't need to be an expert skipper to show up and have fun. Submarine enthusiasts of all skill levels are welcome, and there will be boats available for anyone wanting to try their hand at operating this amazing craft!

We fully understand that many people won't be able to make it to the event in person, which is why we are going to go out of our way to bring as many LIVE event streams as possible.

Additionally, we have opened up the ability for you to help support this and future SUBFEST events through donations, and as an added incentive for helping out, each donation is entitled to entries in our prize drawing taking place on Saturday, September 17th. You do not have to be in attendance to win!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      • Aug 2009

This year's event will also feature a SUBSWAP table, open to all skippers and attendees.

Do you have some RC submarine goodies or kits that have been collecting dust? Lost interest in a project? Looking to get into something different? Bring your stuff to the event and get it sold or traded!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        • Aug 2009

Thursday evening dinner:
        Cold Creek Restaurant:

101 N Oak Dr #1, Dalton, GA 30721
        Thursday, September 15th at 6:00PM

The restaurant is located just 18 minutes south of the event venue and 30 minutes from east Chattanooga. Info posted to the Event Page on nautilusdrydocks.com.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

One can only hope it will stay this way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20220908-123410_AccuWeather.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	164534

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Bring your sunscreen. I concur, sunny and mid 80’s. Perfect.
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Weather is still looking good. I will have everything needed to watch movies each night for those interested. Limited selection but every movie has submarines in it. I am also bringing a fire pit so we can sit around a fire. I am going to be maxed out on what I am bringing but it is going to be an awesome time. I also picked up a tug to play with. 1/50th scale so it is close to 1/48.
              Last edited by SubDude; 09-11-2022, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubDude
                Weather is still looking good. I will have everything needed to watch movies each night for those interested. Limited selection but every movie has submarines in it. I am also bringing a fire pit so we can sit around a fire. I am going to be maxed out on what I am bringing but it is going to be an awesome time. I also picked up a tug to play with. 1/50th scale so it is close to 1/48.
                I'll bring my copy of Hell and High Water.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

You have it on a thumb drive? These modern laptops don't use DVD players anymore.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Scratch that....I got you covered if it's on DVD. ;O)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubDude
                      Scratch that....I got you covered if it's on DVD. ;O)
                      Would it help if I brought my 16mm film projector?

David
                      From the Land of Dinosaurs
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

It might the way these computers are going these days...

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                          • Aug 2009

Things are all go so far. I'm finishing up at the shop today, then packing up Wednesday AM and heading out, likely stopping about 8 hours into the drive for the night, then ending up in Cohutta around noonish Thursday. Google tells me it's just over 13 hours of drive time.

At least I'll have Gracie and Jason to keep me company on the way there. Then Jason is bailing and flying home while I slog it back in the vehicle.

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Safe travels everyone. See you at the event.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'll be at Red Clay Thursday noon time for set-up and final pre-missions. The Bronco 1/35 Type-23 will be my FPV platform, and that system is working fine -- should provide us with well-aimed footage for the eventual event YouTube video.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...