Specifically for you TM1(SS), YEAH you know of whom I speak WEBSTER boy......

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Specifically for you TM1(SS), YEAH you know of whom I speak WEBSTER boy......

Rolling an idea around in my head that I want to propose to the rest of us LawnguyLand boys.

What RC Sub events might you folks have down/around your "Backwater" "Tidewater" "Whatever-water" area during late Summer/early Fall?

See if I can convince these LI mugs to join me on a trip and break free of their NY/CT bonds.

I mean why should you get all the "endless hours of driving" fun??
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

WEBSTER-Boy!?....

That's TM2(SS/DV) to you, NavCenter pussy-boy!

Anyway ....

During the summer we operate at the Nauticus Coy ponds every third-Saturday of the month. Let's see ... we have them July 15, August 19, and the last one of the year is September 16.

Just outside the museum are three big Coy ponds that they let us use to run our r/c ships and submarines. There are three foot-bridges that traverse over the water which are great viewing sites from which drivers and spectators can view the goings-ons.

I'm the fat-guy in red, that's Kevin Rimrodt sitting, and Gene Berger standing at the end of the launch/recovery dock. Depth of water is about two-feet and perfect for our use.

We maintain our models on the deck just outside the museum doors. Notice that the rest of the club keeps at least one-table length away from my work-station. Wonder why that is?

A typical Elite Fleet model boat club outing at the Norfolk city Nauticus maritime museum. A roofed outdoor deck provides plenty of display and preparation s...

The big-deal of the year over here, Ed, is the Fall Festival at Newport News. A weekend event it runs October 7-8. If you're going to make a trip like this, this is the event you want to attend.

A big fresh-water reservoir with a finger-pier we use to observe the models on and under the water.

We set-up Friday and carry through till late Sunday afternoon. A great model boating site. And plenty of vendors at the event (we are but one of hundreds of vendor-craft tents). Plenty of cheap lodging in the Newport News area, Ed.

Darrel Peterson. This guy is a crazy-good scratch-builder, as are most of the swinging-dicks of our club, the Elite-Fleet. You can make out the lake behind our display tent.

At the Newport News Fall Festival of Folklife (old Hippie's selling stuff) our club, the Elite Fleet put on an r/c model boat demonstration -- both static di...

Another big-deal regatta you might consider is two-hours south of here at the City Lake, Rocky Mount, North Carolina. It's a big 1/96-only scale ship-submarine 'fleet-run'. it's on the weekend after the Fall Festival event. Make it a two-week stay-over and you get two fun-runs for the price of one, Ed.

Ellie and I hooked up with friend Kevin Rimrodt at the N.C., Rocky Mount, City Lake for a delightful fun-run of our model ships and submarines. Weather was p...

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      WEBSTER-Boy!?....

That's TM2(SS/DV) to you, NavCenter pussy-boy!
      As that LTjg on the Conn always use to seem to say.."I stand corrected sir." Humbly in my case lol!!

I'm meeting up with Ray, Irving and maybe two more this weekend, so I'll plant a seed and feel them out.

We often talked about roaming in the past, and now that the bug is back I'm hoping to "feed the beast."

Regardless a seed is planted in my mind and if Beth and I can't swing more vacation time this year (we really just stay local due to her aircraft phobia), next year gives us a Vacation goal.

After all "Virginia is for lovers", or so I'm told!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• SSN687
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Nov 2015

22 June 2017

David,
        I think that you have a typo in the “the City Lake, Rocky Mount, South Carolina” should be North Carolina.

Ernie

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSN687
          22 June 2017

David,
          I think that you have a typo in the “the City Lake, Rocky Mount, South Carolina” should be North Carolina.

Ernie
          OMG. I'm an idiot. You're right. Thanks for the correction.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...