David,
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?
  • Rick Teskey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2009

gearing

Hi Dave
    I love watching your thought process while I sit back and critique every step, makes me feel like I am part of the process!
    Why do you need a large driver on the intermediate "idler" gear?
    Would 3 gears ( 1 driver/ idler) and 2 driven with a longer moment arm on the driver do the same trick?
    I am not doubting your design using gear ratios just wondered if the 3 pcs. would accomplish the same goal with less parts?
    In awe of your magnificant splendor.
    Humbly yours
    A nosy Canadian twit.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
      Hi Dave
      I love watching your thought process while I sit back and critique every step, makes me feel like I am part of the process!
      Why do you need a large driver on the intermediate "ideler" gear?
      Would 3 gears ( 1 driver/ ideler) and 2 driven with a longer moment arm on the driver do the same trick?
      I am not doubting your design using gear ratios just wondered if the 3 pcs. would accomplish the same goal with less parts?
      In awe of your magnifacent splendor.
      Humbly yours
      A nosy Canadian twit.

Dear pain-in-the-ass, nosy, idiot, can't-mind-his-own-business, squid-throwing, beer-guzzling, Canadian twit:

(What's with this damn things filter thingy, anyway. Can't seem to keep you bums from the great white north off my screen. I'm busy here!)

Yeah, Rick, I tried going with the three same sized gears as you observed, but got into gear reach problems without the little idler gear in the center.

You've caught me doing stupid stuff before: wait a minute while I go and check the three, verses four, gear arrangement again ...

.... Oh, Nuts!

You're right!

After a more carefully gear tooth count I find you're absolutely right: I can fit just the three gears in that train and achieve the objective of the device: turn the rudders through 80 degrees without component contact with the inner hull. I initially tried that but found (mistakenly, as it turns out) that I would run out of teeth to the gears attached to the rudder operating shafts. But, that's not the case at all. Damn you!

Oh, not to worry. I'll just hit the delete button and no one will be the wiser that you pulled my butt out of the fire (again!), Rick. Can't have people thinking you're smarter than me, can we?!

I hate you.

(Ellie said, "Good on Rick, you fat-head!").

Sigh...

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jan 2009

Squid

Arent navy guy's squids?
        Hell I don't throw them , I cook em , calamari with spicy dipping sauce, a good source of protin and low in carbs!
        Hope both you and Ellie make the trek too Indy this year, we can dream up other bits of semi truths too post on the web. ( If you have not noticed that on the bosses web site , under the lipo battery page , some how the notion that cling wrap keeps batteriers charged/ fresher ) has made it into public folk lore . Altho Glad wrap does keep squid and meat loaf fresh for days there is no solid scientific proof it will keep lipo's freasher unless you count the slowed decay rate of of electrons in the polymer matrix on a sub atomic level.
        I blame this on you, Rick Gallinson, Kevin McLeod and myself when we were sitting around the pool watching the kids frolic and the teenagers fornicate , we put this idea on the table and I did post it on the SCR web site.
        It might be a good idea too this delete this statement from the advertisement .

"Fat , drunk and stupid is no way too go through life son."
        Dean Wormer
        Animal House
        Last edited by Rick Teskey; 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Outrider
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

I just want to see how you're going to get the dive planes to work. Neither looks easy, but the linkage to the forward set should be a challenge.

Once you get really good at this small scale stuff, the capstone is going to be a 1:72 Japanese Ko-hyoteki midget. I have two Fine Molds kits just waiting for you to get really, really good at miniaturization.

Comment

• Outrider
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

Any news on the Type VII fittings? How about cabal notes? I think you're getting "behind" on your sweeping, too.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
              Any news on the Type VII fittings? How about cabal notes? I think you're getting "behind" on your sweeping, too.
              Mr. Caswell dropped a big purchase order on me last week, so I've been busy filling that. However, before that I had just about completed all the Type-7 fittings kit masters -- all that is left is to work out the masters for the deck-to-hull interface pieces and I can start tool making, with fittings kit production following closely on the heels of that.

I'll finish the current PO tasks tomorrow, which will leave me the entire weekend to work on the Type-7 job. Almost there, rounding the final turn.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

I can certainly see one of these VII kits on my future budget list. :)

Did some posts get deleted from this thread? Seems there were more here before? Or Maybe I just dreamed it or maybe worrying with these torpedos is effecting me more than I thought? :D LOL :D
                Last edited by toppack; 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM.
                Rick L.
                --------------------------------------------
                * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Aug 2008

More pretty pictures of the type-7 masters ... and friend

David,
                  Attached Files
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nuke Power
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

David David David. When I left you that kit was in a pretty good condition to hit the market. What did you do that it is taking so long? I see you decided to go ahead and do the propellers anyway. Is that just because you are the prop master??? If it was a matter of poor thrust I would disagree very strongly.

Comment

• JohnG
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Feb 2009

Nice job there David, I guess I'll have to dig out all my kooky 57" DeBoers Seaview progress shots & make a mess on this forum. Season 4 volume 1 of Voyage just came out so it's a great time to be inspired by your work as well.

Weather is getting better & time to invade the patio with large submarine construction.....Oh yeah, that 80 inch Seaview will be this year too. (think giant propulsors)
                      John
                      "I don't like mysteries, they give me a belly ache & right now I've got a beaut!"

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

80 Inches! :eek: Now, That's my Kind'a Model! I'll drink to THAT!
                        I like 'em so they can be seen from Orbit. :D
                        Rick L.

Comment

• JohnG
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Feb 2009

Yep--- see: http://www.deboerhulls.com/ it's a re-issue of his earlier 80".
                          All the kits I have represent the 17 ft studio miniature, this one looks much more like the 8 foot studio mini which would be great to have in the collection. Too bad DeBoers didn't go ahead & make an 8 footer for us!

However the 80 inch makes it about 1/60th scale, just happens the Aurora/monogram Flying Sub kit is 1/60th so there could be some interesting possibilities.

John
                          "I don't like mysteries, they give me a belly ache & right now I've got a beaut!"

Comment

• toppack
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Nov 2008

$1,800 +........................Oh, well!
                            Another hopeful off my list. :rolleyes:
                            Last edited by toppack; 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM.
                            Rick L.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

im surprised you didnt scream rip off like usual

Comment

Working...