• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ir3aus
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

Square Peg, Round Holes

Hi Dave,

The stern planes for the Revell Type VII SD kit came with round holes (old school planes). This kit has the square tubing for the stern planes shaft. Can you supply me with the stern planes that have the square shaft holes molded in. OOPS, my error, should be the Revell Type VII Fittings kit!!!

Thanks,

Iran Ausley
    Last edited by ir3aus; 08-26-2011, 02:09 PM. Reason: Error in description of problem
    There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
    Hi Dave,

The stern planes for the Revell Type VII SD kit came with round holes (old school planes). This kit has the square tubing for the stern planes shaft. Can you supply me with the stern planes that have the square shaft holes molded in. OOPS, my error, should be the Revell Type VII Fittings kit!!!

Thanks,

Iran Ausley
    This is a case where you jam the square peg (stern plane operating shaft) into the round hole (stern plane bore). If need be, reduce the diameter of the stern plane holes with a coating of thick formula CA, catalize, then insert the operating shaft.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2010

Stern Plane Bell Crank Problem

Hi David,

Just about finished with the rudders and stern planes and found that the fit of the bell crank on the square tube is pretty sloppy causing considerable backlash (not so sure that this term applies in this application). Any way to fix this problem or perhaps I can get another bell crank. BTW, the rudder gearing system is great. Easy to install and operate very smoothly.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
        Hi David,

Just about finished with the rudders and stern planes and found that the fit of the bell crank on the square tube is pretty sloppy causing considerable backlash (not so sure that this term applies in this application). Any way to fix this problem or perhaps I can get another bell crank. BTW, the rudder gearing system is great. Easy to install and operate very smoothly.

Thanks,

Iran
        If you run the stern plane bell-crank set-screw all the way down onto a flat of the square tube stern plane operating shaft, that should fix the bell-crank firmly in place. If not I'll send you a new set right away. May I have a picture of the set-up your having problems with, Iran?

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2010

Hi Dave,

Here is a pic of the bellcrank and dive planes.

IranClick image for larger version

Name:	Calypso 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	63987

Comment

• Aug 2008

I was in was in error when I advised you to tighten the 'set-screw' on the stern plane bell-crank ... THERE IS NO SET-SCREW!
            I was thinking SEAVIEW, when the discussion was about Type-7.

(Again, I talked before checking things out; making sure I got the fact straight before pumping out (bad in this case) information. Sorry. Your picture reminded me of how the thing works, and is much appreciated).

OK, the problem is that the bell-crank square hole is too large for the stern plane operating shaft -- it's sloppy; there is 'play' between it and the operating shaft.

Here's a trick: On an anvil, place the bell-crank on its side, and lightly (underline LIGHTLY) tap the hole with a light-weight hammer (such a tool unknown to all Torpedomen!). The white-metal bell-crank square hole will diminish in size slightly with each blow. Check for the fit between the bell-crank and operating shaft after each blow of the hammer. The objective is to produce the required tight fit between the two so that the bell-crank will not rotate about the operating shaft when the two are assembled together.

Failing that, I'll forward you another one.

Oh, and your kind comment about the rudder operating mechanism: Credit goes to Rick Teskey who saw my initial design, identified some flaws, and showed me how to do it right. Thanks, Rick! Not the first time he's bailed me out with a mechanical problem.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2010

Hi Dave,

Bingo. I now have stern planes with no backlash.

Thanks,

Iran

Comment

• Aug 2008

hammer time!
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...