Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Torpedo Installation Instructions

The instructions for the Caswell/Merriman 1:72 Torpedoes are now completed and available here.

These are a darned good read, lots of detailed photos and written up in typical Merriman Cabal Report style.

If you would like to comment on them, you can do so with our new system when you download the file.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

Now we know what you've been doing with the Wiz, who's been abnormally quiet for a while...

Twenty nine pages!

All silence is forgiven, but what's next on the slipway?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
      Now we know what you've been doing with the Wiz, who's been abnormally quiet for a while...

Twenty nine pages!

All silence is forgiven, but what's next on the slipway?
      David's wife is ill, and he's tied up with that at present and has been for a couple of months. So patience please everyone as we get through this.
      1:32 scale torpedoes are next.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Outrider
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

One thing worth drawing attention to is the minimal buoyancy effects of this system, which David does discuss in his instructions. That's pretty impressive given the size, weight and volume of the materials being used. This is a benefit of David's many years of work in trying to perfect these systems.

He's got the bow tubes done... Stern tubes, anyone? (David would pick a boat with a total of 10 tubes...mere mortals would have a first go at something less complex.)
        Last edited by Outrider; 10-09-2010, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• ir3aus
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2010

Sorry to say, I am just one of the boys. If David eventually produces the 6 torpedo launcher and all of the other parts that he so skillfully produced into one or more kits, I would certainly be interested.

Iran Ausley
          There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
            Sorry to say, I am just one of the boys. If David eventually produces the 6 torpedo launcher and all of the other parts that he so skillfully produced into one or more kits, I would certainly be interested.

Iran Ausley
            Iran,

What, specifically do you mean?

If you mean the resin pieces needed to mount the launchers, as I illustrated in the instructions -- then, yes, we will be introducing such kits. The GATO will be the first: resin parts for the muzzle bulkhead and shutter-door piece, bow nest foundation, stern nest foundation and stern muzzle bulkhead will be included.

Are these the products you mean?

David,

Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	59132 Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	59133Click image for larger version

Name:	048.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	59134Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	59135
            Attached Files
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Just a quick up-date: I was in the shop taking pictures of the GATO for another thread. While I was at it, I took some better shots of the shutter door assembly I made and installed in my GATO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	051.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	59167Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	59169Click image for larger version

Name:	058.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	59172Click image for larger version

Name:	047.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	59173

The model is far from finished, just the basic paint scheme. Eventually the open muzzle doors will be a dark-bronze and there will be a lot of weathering going on. But, these shots to show off the structure.

David
              Attached Files
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

What, no stern shot?

There is much to amaze about US WWII Fleet Boats, but the tube count is pretty awesome. Makes you wonder what could have been done with wire guided weapons...

Indexing indicator (and system) is beyond cool for this set-up.
                Last edited by Outrider; 10-22-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
                  What, no stern shot?

There is much to amaze about US WWII Fleet Boats, but the tube count is pretty awesome. Makes you wonder what could have been done with wire guided weapons...

Indexing indicator (and system) is beyond cool for this set-up.

Having served in both rooms of the TRUTTA (a TENCH class boat) I can assure you that with a mixed bag of MK14's and MK37-2's (no MK16'S, THANK GOD!!) we had one hell of a punch! At that time (very early 70's) the navy was just getting comfortable with a wire-guidance-dispenser that permitted radical submarine maneuvers even with a wire-guided weapon in the water. The thing was a pain in the ass to rig and was hell on the muzzle tube gasket, but gave the Skipper the ability to dodge around to some degree without too much fear of breaking the wire.

Any way ... soon as I get some way-past-due work done I'll perfect a four-tube launcher for the stern nest on my GATO -- a little surprise for those slinking around in my baffles.

Yeah ... **** with me. Go ahead! (It will be hard to get guys to play tag with me at next years subregatta).

Ten practical tubes, that'll be a record in this hobby if I'm not mistaken. No, damit, I forgot: Gene Berger had ten working tubes on his magnificent 1/32 GATO nearly fifteen years ago. Nuts.

I was just plain showing off with that ratchet operated gizmo, wasn't I? I call it, "ode to Rube Goldberg"

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...