Name:	DSCN0185..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	58489Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0178..JPG
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	58490
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

V-tail + ADF

Originally posted by Outrider

As to the V-tail mixer, I think your Transmitter determines what you need. Some Transmitters have V-tail options built in. (You pay for this in both the cost of the transmitter and the difficulty in programming it.) I think that you can use the V-tail adapter even if your transmitter has the V-tail mixing built in. [Assuming you want to use an ADF--and who wouldn't--you must use the V-tail mixer and can not use the software V-tail mixing function in the transmitter. - Ed]
      Please help me understand this business about the V-tail mixer. I have a Futaba 9C which has the V-tail option. OK, so far. Buy I want to also use an ADF so now I should buy the V-tail mixer mentioned in the original posting. OK.

What I don't understand is how to hook up the ADF. In between one of the servos and the V-tail mixer? Maybe we should use two ADF's, one for each channel off of the V-tail mixer.

Norbert Brüggen uses 4 servos with his combo X-tail/ADF regulator, one for each control surface. I can see this working but I just don't get how 2 servos can do both at the same time.

Obviously, I need help.

Dan
      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
        Please help me understand this business about the V-tail mixer. I have a Futaba 9C which has the V-tail option. OK, so far. Buy I want to also use an ADF so now I should buy the V-tail mixer mentioned in the original posting. OK.

What I don't understand is how to hook up the ADF. In between one of the servos and the V-tail mixer? Maybe we should use two ADF's, one for each channel off of the V-tail mixer.

Norbert Brüggen uses 4 servos with his combo X-tail/ADF regulator, one for each control surface. I can see this working but I just don't get how 2 servos can do both at the same time.

Obviously, I need help.

Dan

[Gosh to Daisies], Dan! You're making this tougher than it has to be.

Yes, forget the transmitter mixing. Don't do it.

Yes, you need a V/X-tail mixer, but only one.

You will hook up one of the two three-wire mixer input cables to the receivers channel-1 (rudder) port. You'll hook up the ADF between the other mixer input cable and the receivers channel-2 (elevator/stern plane) port. The two mixer output pins make up to the two servo cables.

Which mixer cables and pins go to what receiver/ADF pins/cables? Beats the [h-e-double toothpicks] out of me, Dan.

The variables here that make you easter-egg which-set-of-wires-goes-to-which-set-of-pins includes: What kind of inverting is going on in the mixer; the direction of servo bell-crank travel for a specific command; orientation of the ADF to the gravity line; on what side of the control surface operating shaft is its bell-crank situated; and on how skillful you are applying Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle as it relates to your specific latitude!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	58522 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	58524Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	58523

[Fiddlesticks] ... I don't know! Just keep swapping wires till the [darned] thing works right, OK?! Leave me alone!

When you're at the hobby-shop looking for the mixer, know this: The V-tail mixer is the same thing as an X-tail mixer. And that it's an electronic integrator that inputs two independent, distinct electrical commands (pitch and yaw) and works by outputting a vector sum of those commands to operate the control surfaces (no matter how many separate surfaces) so that they all work together to achieve the commanded degree of pitch and yaw motion. All V and X tail surfaces perform both pitch and yaw forces. Sometimes separately, often together -- depends on your commands at the transmitter and those commands originating at the ADF/APC.

As I arrange the linkages on my Type-212's: When the two stern control surface servos work collectively --Both pushrods traveling in the same direction -- the two sets of control surfaces (arranged 45-degrees from the normal vertical and horizontal reference plane and 90-degrees from one another) produce a pure yaw force. When the two servos produce a differential motion --pushrods traveling in opposite directions -- a pure pitch force is produced at the control surfaces. Degree of servo motion and direction of the two servos is what produces the infinite variety of pitch-yaw motions within the limits of control surface travel (typically 35-degrees either side of centerline).

This is the simplified means of attaining X-tail performance from only two actuators. If you want to gain the ability to work the four control surfaces to produce roll forces, you need four actuators/servos.

Norbert is a master-mind. I think he's not of this Earth (if you know what I mean). He and his German buddies invented this game. We're not qualified to engage four servos on four stern control surfaces. Put that out of your mind!

Two servos operating four control surfaces is enough for us, [friend. Okily Dokily?]

David,
        Last edited by Outrider; 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM. Reason: I thought making him sound like Ned Flanders might work better than giving him the pink shorts treatment!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

David,

OK, I submit but I do love it when you talk dirty.

BTW, your attached pictures aren't showing up on my computer.

Dan (reaching for the sackcloth and ashes)

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
            David,

OK, I submit but I do love it when you talk dirty.

BTW, your attached pictures aren't showing up on my computer.

Dan (reaching for the sackcloth and ashes)
            You're right. Nuts. Let me see what I can do about the pictures ....

... How's that, Dan?

David,
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
              Captain
              • Sep 2008

Final rev of instructions?

David,

Pictures are now OK.

I have downloaded the instructions for the 212. They seem to be dated 3/28/2010. Is this the final rev.? These instructions end with the final(?) coat of primer put on but without any final color appearance coat. I want to wait until the instructions are finalized before ordering.

Dan

Comment

• Outrider
                Commander
                • Aug 2008

The 212 instructions should be considered a living document, at least for the time being. David has just added several different threads addressing the Type 212's final finish in his cabal reports section and he added zinc sacrificial anodes very recently, too. None of these has made it into his instructions. There is also the matter of instructions for the associated SubDriver. These are "to do list" items at present. It may be sensible just to buy the preassembled WTC if you have any concern about rigging one up.

Comment

• roedj
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2008

Two sizes of cradles - which WTC?

I see from the pictures that Mike posted that the kit comes with two different sizes of WTC cradles. If we order the WTC with the 212 do we still get both sizes of cradles or are there two different sizes of WTC's?

Dan

Comment

• Outrider
                    Commander
                    • Aug 2008

The kit comes with two saddles, one for use with an older SubDriver and the other for a SubDriver specific to the Type 212. Since you're ordering new, get the 212 version.

Comment

• roedj
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2008

Thanks for your help.

I have downloaded the latest instructions, the -3 version and in there in mentions (page 37 of 41) that the plans for the 212 are stored on the Caswell site. As I have been unable to find them so far, please tell me where they are stored.

Dan

Comment

• Outrider
                        Commander
                        • Aug 2008

I can't upload the file directly, so try this link:

As noted, this is a work in progress. The instructions are now 64 pages, but are likely to be further refined. The .pdf is compressed because the larger version is 396 MB.

Comment

• roedj
                          Captain
                          • Sep 2008

Thanks for the new instructions. They are quite clear. The .pdf file of the plans is mentioned on page 56 of 64, 2nd para as being stored on the Caswell site. Is this correct? Please tell me where this file is.

Dan

Comment

• Outrider
                            Commander
                            • Aug 2008

Here's the file:

For all who read this thread, please remember the intended use for these plans, which is to help you better assemble the D&E Type 212 from Caswell. Olivier Brillet generously offered his plans for this use--and only this use. Please do not misuse these plans--use them only as a guide to assembling a model purchased from Caswell. This is a small community and trust is key to its functioning well.
                            Last edited by Outrider; 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• roedj
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2008

Thanks for the file. I wanted to enlarge it to full kit size on my monitor (85% after rotating it clockwise) just to see how big it was and how it would fit in my hands.

I ABSOLUTELY promise you that this file will not be misused by me in any way.

Dan

Comment

• Outrider
                                Commander
                                • Aug 2008

Here's a YouTube video link to some footage of the U-32, an early Type 212:

U-32 (S182) is the second Type 212A submarine of the German Navy.U-32 is powered by one diesel engine and an electric motor driven by two fuel cells and feat...

Should be useful to anybody who wants to build the D&E GRP or the Revell polystyrene versions.

Comment

Working...