X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

What were they thinking????

OY VEY!!!! After seeing photos of Lindberg's I-53 kit, I'm not going to hold my breath hoping that the I-20 is any better. At this point, I'm going to sit back & wait until I see some actual photos of the kit before committing to my pre-order. Those "cupcake" sized bolt heads & hatches that could double as coasters for a beer stein blew me away!

That said, the photos of their prototype do look much more representative of the actual C1 profile but who knows what will be in the box. Lets hope its not another product from the sausage making party that came up with the I-53! :wink:

Chuck

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Chuck, I'm with you. As far as purchasing the I-53 as a fair representation of its class .... forget it. Damn!

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

shame shame shame, what a waste of time if it is as bad as the 53
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• herrmill
          Commander
          • Dec 2008

Photos of Assembled Kit

Has anyone seen the pics Dave S. posted of his assembled I-53?

Perhaps its just me, but that kit screams Hindenberg to me. Or Dilbert.
          Last edited by herrmill; 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

LOL. Ugh!

I'm building up two of those things now. One for Mr. Petite for the trade-show circuit. The other one goes to Mike one I r/c the damn thing.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
              Commander
              • Apr 2009

I've seen in the forum that the Lindenburg Jap sub I53 is not a true representation of that sub at all. But it is a sub and the Gato S/D will fit. So what the hell, I want one. For the fun of building, painting and trying to get the thing to act like a sub in the pool it will be worth it. Obviously I'm not a purest. Just like modeling R/C subs.

What I would really like is Revell to produce a 1/72 plastic German type IXD2. Revell does a super job with the models. They must be thinking R/C.

jack

Comment

• herrmill
                Commander
                • Dec 2008

Here's some really depressing news that I saw today on Fine Scale Modeler's forum:

I got a reply from REVELL.....

They have no plans to produce any more 1/72 subs.

FineScale Modeler magazine - Essential magazine for scale model builders, model kit reviews, how-to scale modeling, and scale modeling products.

Let's hope that's not correct.

Comment

• herrmill
                  Commander
                  • Dec 2008

Wouldn't that be nice. Unfortunately, I saw a recent comment on the FSM forum that Revell has no plans for additional 1/72 sub kits. Lets hope thats just another bad rumor.

Comment

• keltos
                    Ensign
                    • Dec 2009

Hi

first post here... erm.

I model IJN subs for the Subsim community and am looking for pictures, good resolution blueprints, in a word for anything that might help us build up our fleet.

I have quite a few books myself.

my blueprints link :

My Jyunsen B mod link :

thanks

keltos

Comment

• herrmill
                      Commander
                      • Dec 2008

Keltos,

Nice to see you slumming with us! :wink:

Your work is looking good as ever. Perhaps Lindberg's modeler should more time playing SH4 since your mods are more accurate to an IJN sub than anything they've released.

Chuck

Comment

• Shipwreckhunter
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Nov 2011

How is your I-53 project coming along ?? I have bought a 1/72 I-53 to convert to a C-3 I-52.. I work with Paul Tidwell on the salvage project of the 2 tons of gold on the I-52... Working on changing the conning tower today...

Comment

Working...