Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Tote Box for your pond-side stuff!

Is there any interest in this unit. It looks like the cradle is adjustable for boats and planes.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • g2tiger
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2008

interested, possibly

What info do you have on this box?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

A wet boat sitting in that cradle will spill water all over your transmitter and other goodies, Mike.

You people!

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• g2tiger
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Sep 2008

He's right you know!

Still, perhaps the cradel could be off set so that water won't be as likely to get into the main box...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by g2tiger
          He's right you know!

Still, perhaps the cradel could be off set so that water won't be as likely to get into the main box...
          Agreed.

But I think Mr. Caswell is trying to purchase an established product (intended for the model aircraft crowd). It would become a prohibitively expensive product if we demanded a modification of the product to offset the cradle portion from the box so water would not rain down on the box contents.

How bout it, Mike? Any sources out there with a cradle-box combination that won't get water on the transmitter and spare batteries?

(I bet Mr. Caswell is already talking to his cardboard box guy about a purpose-built model submarine caddy -- any takers?).

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
            Agreed.

But I think Mr. Caswell is trying to purchase an established product (intended for the model aircraft crowd). It would become a prohibitively expensive product if we demanded a modification of the product to offset the cradle portion from the box so water would not rain down on the box contents.

How bout it, Mike? Any sources out there with a cradle-box combination that won't get water on the transmitter and spare batteries?

(I bet Mr. Caswell is already talking to his cardboard box guy about a purpose-built model submarine caddy -- any takers?).

David,

That's a bloody good idea! What about some designs that I can put forward?
            What exactly does this box need to carry?
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
              That's a bloody good idea! What about some designs that I can put forward?
              What exactly does this box need to carry?
              As a field box it has to contain the consumables, tools, and other stuff needed to get the model operational and keep it in that condition at the boating site.

Consumables: Can of Propellant for the gas ballast sub-system; spare batteries; electrician's tape, CA and RTV type adhesives, rubber bands, spare fasteners (you always loose the hull fastener in the sand or grass!); sun-tan location, etc.

Tools: piers; hemostats; Allen wrenches; screw drivers (Phillip's and blade); jeweler's files; sanding sticks; tire-valve wrench; X-Acto knife and blades, etc.

Other Stuff: Transmitter(s); torpedoes; camera; cell-phone; rosary; rabbit's foot; copy of the Koran, etc.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Kinda hard to carry this around with a sub on the cradle over the carrying handle. lol.

I can see that the U-shaped cradle are held on only by wing nuts. You can simply remove them and put them on a new base. This way you get a boat stand and a tote box and your stuffs stay dry :wink:
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• pjdog
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2009

That should be easy. I'll build another U-552 (See album for first sub) type box only not as tall sense I used the fittings kit and the conning tower comes off and the snorkel lowers. Put a draw under the box for those consumables, screw drives, screws, extra batteries, etc, etc. A cradle on the end to hold the radio. A box on the other end to hold the propel, etc. Paint it battleship gray. Put U-295 on it and call it my new subs travel box.

Somebody said "hell it's just a box". Build it.

Jack

Comment

• Bill Harris
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Sep 2009

Here is what I think. At the field (or pondside) you need to tote a Transmitter, extra batteries, a chair and the boat. Good idea to take along spare parts, tools and other emergency items, but that is not needed every time so that can stay in the car. A separate workstand would work best with a wet, drippy boat.

I saw this on RC Groups the other day. Looks like a good, portable and rugged workstand that might do well with subs and boats...

Earl Brown Custom Airplane and Helicopter Assembly Stand
                    RCGroups Review

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Mike,

I have a dismantlable plastic stand I use pond / pool side - great for letting the boat drip dry prior to putting on to a display stand.

I'll try and get some photos - am fairly sure its a product I got from a US supplier.

J
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

Working...