Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

The Ark Model SONG Submarine

I managed to get to look over the kit supplied by Ark Model today. We now have several in stock - see SONG

I was a little disappointed that the hull was cut in half vertically, but having cut a couple of similar hulls now, it's just another job in the building of a model. The boat is very solid, thicker construction than the usual Revell injection molded models.

The photo etch plates are spectacular with a great deal of detail. At first I thought the detail on the boat was rather coarse and clumsy, but later realised that the recesses were to be cut out and the photo etched installed.

The propeller looks like it's made of nylon, and is probably quite serviceable, but I suspect the purists would prefer a brass one. I'll have to look at the Raboesch catalog to see which one is suitable.

The instruction manual is in Chinese and English and has loads of diagrams and photos. It looks pretty easy to follow.

The kit needs nothing else, no Fittings Kits etc. as all the control surfaces are designed for R/C. A single 585 suppressed motor is supplied.

For $395.00 this model is, in my opinion, good value and an easy build.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Thanks Mike for the info. Your link shows a completed model with a brass prop so there must be one available somewhere. Its also roughly 40" long, Skipjack territory. Can you take a couple of snap shots of it as it comes before assm. and post them here?
    Last edited by greenman407; 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Could be a plastic prop painted up to look like a metal job.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
        I managed to get to look over the kit supplied by Ark Model today. We now have several in stock - see SONG

I was a little disappointed that the hull was cut in half vertically, but having cut a couple of similar hulls now, it's just another job in the building of a model. The boat is very solid, thicker construction than the usual Revell injection molded models.

The photo etch plates are spectacular with a great deal of detail. At first I thought the detail on the boat was rather coarse and clumsy, but later realised that the recesses were to be cut out and the photo etched installed.

The propeller looks like it's made of nylon, and is probably quite serviceable, but I suspect the purists would prefer a brass one. I'll have to look at the Raboesch catalog to see which one is suitable.

The instruction manual is in Chinese and English and has loads of diagrams and photos. It looks pretty easy to follow.

The kit needs nothing else, no Fittings Kits etc. as all the control surfaces are designed for R/C. A single 585 suppressed motor is supplied.

For $395.00 this model is, in my opinion, good value and an easy build.

Mike re the vertical half cut.
        Their photo of the completed boat (wet on the stand) clearly shows this cut being the intended demarcation. With that in mind I am puzzled to what the intended water tight cylinder is they have for this and more to the point how you'd access control surface linkages? Is this more designed along the lines of a dry hulled type RC sub?

Also - remembering the Revell Gato and how much material that boat had on top that had to be removed for good in water stability, what is the weight like of the hull itself? (I only mention that re your comment regarding the thicker construction - thicker than Revell).

Thanks
        J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• herrmill
          Commander
          • Dec 2008

The prop is painted nylon & the kit is designed around Ark's RCABS WTC which, mind you, ain't the best around. I'd recommend David get his hands on a kit & you see what can be done in terms of a quality S-D for this boat if you intend to be selling them.

If you do go stock, you will want to gear down the motor since the sub runs like a hot torpedo on steroids! Mine is one of the early ARTR builds by Ark & is currently decommissioned awaiting spares.

I'll dig mine out & take some pics for you this week but I'm sure you can find some posted elsewhere by CMPANG.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Hermill, I beleive that this is a picture of your boat. Is that true?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	song 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	75759
              Last edited by greenman407; 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM.
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

That is one good looking model. Well done, Feng!
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• herrmill
                  Commander
                  • Dec 2008

Yup, took the photo myself.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I like the case too!
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

I have two Arkmodel Song models in stock, but unfortunately, they were never listed on the web page.

Collecting dust and got to go.

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

All my inventory is now sold. Thanks folks!

Comment

Working...