Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

Me:) Yes, i'm still alive ... just dormant these days. I have both the Sub version and the small tug boat version. I can swap the modules out at will. If you want a diesel sound, i'd go with the small tug. If you just want the "dive and ping" sounds go with the sub module.

Now, I will say this ... the sub module comes with a very nice small speaker that should fit a lot of our subs that we build here (maybe not the smaller ones). but the small tug comes with a much larger speaker that will more than likely not fit any sub unless you built it to ride on 8)
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

If I may suggest, since the diesel sound is only for surface running, The 20mm mylar speakers can be mounted from inside the wtc with RTV so only the mylar circle is exposed with the openings on the top, below the main deck. Open the flood holes or get a pe deck for the sound to resonate in the open area between the pressure hull and deck. Basiclly how the Boze dynamics work, with the reflex design. As for the pinger sound, put a set of speakers with the tx operator, on the surface and run both sounds thru them. I assume you can wire the sound chip to the same balast commands on the xmitter.Click image for larger version

Name:	20mm-small-waterproof-mylar-speaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	93052

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

The snag is that a 20mm speaker is going to give very poor low frequency output, and the diesel engine will more closely resemble a bee in can.

Also the diaphragm's will compress as speakers are extremely squishy. Depending on how fine you trim your boat this could compromise the trim, allowing a few grams of displacment will help, but you would need to ensure the speakers are place directly over the boats C.G, else the longitudinal trim will be put out of whack.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Subculture
          The snag is that a 20mm speaker is going to give very poor low frequency output, and the diesel engine will more closely resemble a bee in can.

Also the diaphragm's will compress as speakers are extremely squishy. Depending on how fine you trim your boat this could compromise the trim, allowing a few grams of displacment will help, but you would need to ensure the speakers are place directly over the boats C.G, else the longitudinal trim will be put out of whack.
          Quality, low freek, bass sound from small speakers is already available. Take forinstance, the Waterproof bicycle bluetooth attachment speekers. With the micro mylars that come in various round or ovals the rear of the speaker can be waterproofed at the magnet contacts. It doesnt have to be disturbing the air in the wtc, if they are mounted in the space under the deck. If you put a micro speaker in a beer can, it will sound like a bee in a can. The key to the resonance is the box outside the driver. If there is no resonator with the little 20mm driver, It will only direct the sound perpindicular. You can do an experiment with an ols set of headphones. Plug them into a sterio radio ect, and listen to them turned up from a distance with them just laying down. Then det a 10x10 in cardboard box with the top open and put the headphones on the sides of the box, and note the differance in fidelity. Like the differance between the same guitar strings at the same tention on an unamplified electric guitar, and the an accustic guitar is due to the sound box. Or perhaps the differance in a grand piano's sound from the big open top door, verses the same harp board mounted in a grand upright with the little door on the top where the sound comes out. Im not an audio expert, but I do know quit a bit, being a professional musician for over 60years and having done extensive studio recording work. Pothagorous figgured out that concept when he stuck the bow string on the gourd and made the first instrument. Besides being the father of math, he was the father of music as well.

Comment

Working...