X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Large hole in battery compartment end cap

I realize that this is just another test - but what is intended to go in the large hole in the end cap for the battery compartment? I was originally thinking Schrader valve but there's already one in the other end. It's probably not a port hole for the crew so what...?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hole in battery end cap 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	76848

Dan (grovelling)
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

LOL. He Who Must Be BLAMED!!!!

The Impudence! Me first, Manfred!

As to the servo thing, Dan. You're right, the micro sized servo is too small for the 3.5 SD. Should be the mini sized servos in there. I'll check the catalog listing and if the recommended servos are not right we'll make a correction. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, pal.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
        I realize that this is just another test - but what is intended to go in the large hole in the end cap for the battery compartment? I was originally thinking Schrader valve but there's already one in the other end. It's probably not a port hole for the crew so what...?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19571[/ATTACH]

Dan (grovelling)

Who is this ... really!

RedBoat????

It's for the larger toggle-switch, Dan. Every now and then the bigger ESC's will spike the current when you switch on, so I recommend a switch that can take at least 20 Ampere's at the recommended 12-volts. You can get these real cheap at Lowe's and such.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

So I should NOT use the toggle switch that's included with the electronics kit but instead purchase a larger amperage one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	toggle switch.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	76849

OK, I see what you mean. The supplied switch is only good for 5A @ 12VAC. I'll either get a heavier duty one or go the magnetic switch route.

My mistake. The actual spec, 5A @ 125VAC - not 12VAC - appears to be sufficient for the task at hand....Click image for larger version

Name:	toggle switch specs.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	76850

Mea culpa,

Dan
          Last edited by roedj; 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM. Reason: added picture of toggle switch and specs for supplied switch + correct the spec

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Don't forget the AC current ratings of contacts are far more generous than the DC ratings. I don't know the exact current rating of that toggle switch, but I'd expect little more than about 1A. That could be on the hairy edge for a power switch for anything other than very small models.

You can get a double pole switch of similar size, and parallel the contacts, that will give you 24 watts, plenty unless you're building a speed machine!

Comment

• roedj
              Captain
              • Sep 2008

Thanks for your advice. It turns out it's a moot point anyway as the supplied switch is way too small physically to be mounted in the hole. As you say, I should probably go in search of a larger, more current tolerant model.

Or, I may just go the magnetic switch route ala Engel.

Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
                Thanks for your advice. It turns out it's a moot point anyway as the supplied switch is way too small physically to be mounted in the hole. As you say, I should probably go in search of a larger, more current tolerant model.

Or, I may just go the magnetic switch route ala Engel.

Dan

Careful. The magnetic switch itself is useless by itself in anything but the most modest of current loads. It is usually used to controls a latching type relay -- insure that the relay contacts can take a 20 Ampere spike without welding closed.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2008

Advice noted - thanks.

Dan

Comment

• Capt_Christo
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Jul 2009

Ahoy Mr Merriman,

I recieved the Subdriver that I ordered along with the fittings kit but I have 2 questions.

1. There was some parts in a re-sealable plastic bag and some floating around loose in the WTC. I asked myself when the loose parts went pinging all over the floor why you did not put all the parts in the bag. I then noticed the 1" tear in the bag which answered my question. Sub question... If I find I have not located all the little bits, can I order the replacements from you?

2. I noticed there was not a copy of the build instructions included so I automatically assumed that you have to down load them like the excellent instructions for assembling the kit. From where do I download these please?

Cheers.
                    Mostly Harmless

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Capt_Christo
                      Ahoy Mr Merriman,

2. I noticed there was not a copy of the build instructions included so I automatically assumed that you have to down load them like the excellent instructions for assembling the kit. From where do I download these please?

Cheers.
                      Hi there
                      if it helps I was looking today for the instructions and found the download PDF file is at this link.

Best

John
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Capt_Christo
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Jul 2009

Thanks John. Thats the same instructions that I downloaded. Are there instructions for assembling the subdriver?

I am so looking forward to getting the sub ready for October
                        Last edited by Capt_Christo; 06-03-2013, 07:32 AM.
                        Mostly Harmless

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Capt_Christo
                          Thanks John. Thats the same instructions that I downloaded. Are there instructions for assembling the subdriver?

I am so looking forward to getting the sub ready for October
                          No problems Chris. I'll help anyway I can. You made the right choice for your first boat. This is an easy put together assembly. The SD you bought is largely pre-assembled. You won't find an easier - more comprehensive boat on the market.
                          In fact I like it so much I'm contemplating buying one of my own too.

Jim in QLD tells me a few guys up there are bring Skipjacks so we might have more at the Regatta, than those built in 1/1 scale.

Best

John
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• roedj
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2008

Chris,

Also, you may want to take a look at this thread:

RC Submarines - New Moeibus 1:72 Skipjack - Thought this might be of interest of which Dave Merriman was the lead designer. Debuted this week at iHobby 2012. Due early next year with $120.0 MSRP. More info & photos on SD forum: http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...reatest-moment !!!!!!!

on the RC Universe site. Not only does it show a lot of info on the Skipjack but starting at post #20, or so, good hints on the 3.5" SAS SD as well.

Dan - Commander Counseling

Comment

• alad61
                              Commander
                              • Jan 2012

G'day Chris,

John right it is a very easy kit to assemble and combined with the subdriver and fittings kit you have a very doable first boat. John, mine will be there in October allong side Jims. Hopefully with some more water passed over her bow...
                              Cheers,
                              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Capt_Christo
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Jul 2009

Thanks Dan. That's more like what I was looking for.
                                Mostly Harmless

Comment

Working...