Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Direct link. Glad to see the 808 eyepod is still proving its worth. Are you strapping it directly to the boat for some of the shots or using another enclosure for that?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture

Direct link. Glad to see the 808 eyepod is still proving its worth. Are you strapping it directly to the boat for some of the shots or using another enclosure for that?

Your enclosure has never failed me -- its the perfect watertight case for the 808 camera, Andy. The absolute smallest, streamlined enclosure of its type on the planet. The only modification I made was the addition of a ring-stabilizer to keep the unit stable while towing.

And, yes, I mounted your enclosure to the after deck of the 1/96 KILO with some rubber bands for some of those shots -- dirt simple! Just took off the ring-stabilizer, banded the thing to the model, and I was off to the races.

I would be remise if I did not mention the 808 video camera watertight housing developed by Tom Chalfant. Seen here being outfitted with watertight rubber 'push-button' extensions that permit me to turn the camera on and off without the need of opening up the enclosure to do so. As you can see, the geometry of this enclosure is ideal for mounting on the deck of the model submarine.

I also worked up a practical 808 camera enclosure. This one a variant of our original 'up periscope' enclosure initially used with the Swann camera-transmitter system that permitted first person view (FPV); real time viewing through the use of virtual goggles.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

The 808 was the go to camera a few years ago, but in the last year or two these little SQ rascals have come out, with dimensions better suited for our purposes, same performance if not a bit better, 2k is good enough for me 4k is hassle to edit unless you have a very modern computer, and you won't see the difference unless you have a huge screen. Dirt cheap on ebay.

Last edited by Subculture; 06-19-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

The 808 was the go to camera a few years ago, but in the last year or two these little SQ rascals have come out, with dimensions better suited for our purposes, same performance if not a bit better, 2k is good enough for me 4k is hassle to edit unless you have a very modern computer, and you won't see the difference unless you have a huge screen. Dirt cheap on ebay.

https://tinyurl.com/y6lcjvgw
          Holy smokes, Andy! And so cheap, too! I just ordered three of these tiny cameras. Thanks for the steer. You have been most helpful, as usual.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Not Gopro quality, but not Gopro prices either. Underwater is a great leveller and what you have in frame tends to make the movie over the finest definition.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Andy, have you used these?
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• bwi 971
                Captain
                • Jan 2015

https://tinyurl.com/y6lcjvgw
                Thks Andy.....that is awesome.

Grtz,
                Bart
                Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trout
                  Andy, have you used these?
                  An earlier model, but they’’re much the same. They’’re onto sq12 now, but they’re a bit more expensive, and no major difference between them.
                  Last edited by Subculture; 06-20-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• bwi 971
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2015

Found a youtube video about it

Amazon Links Buy it here: http://geni.us/WlFWLVNRecommended: http://geni.us/JustVladsSPYCAM - This mini camera captures 1080p digital video footage and is ne...

Grtz,
                    Bart
                    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Bart, Good catch on that review!
                      Andy, that resolution will probably be fine for our usage!
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

The SQ11 offers best bang for buck. This vid gives some comparison between the models, they also offer an SQ13, which I was unaware of, but the main difference appears to be field of view with later models giving a very wide angle. This may suit some operators, but I prefer something with a little less lens distortion. Some sellers are offering the SQ12 with a watertight box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDaXMUMbK8

Comment

Working...