72/75 MHZ going out of business? Nah!
Collapse
X
-
The plug-in modules are just tuners. If they're crystal based, you should still be able to swap them out (probably using wfly crystals), if synthesized, you can adjust the frequency either using hardware switches or software. -
Hi Tim
the wfly transmitter does not use a simple crystal. it has a module about the same size as the receiver that plugs into the back of it, and that module can be one of many types, from a 2.4ghz module to a 27mhz module, the basic module includes both the crystal and the RF circuit. buy the module that works for your country. the thought here is that you could buy one for every distinct frequency you want to use, and pop in the one you want, if you cross from surface to air frequencies, you don't have to send the radio in to have it re-tuned. If you can find something like the hitec spectra for the distinct frequency band you need, then you will only have to buy one module, and it will synthesize any frequency you want, this allows you to change frequencies by dialiing a knob, and you don't have to buy additional crystals or modules.
Tim
can you please give me more details about this module in the Transmitter.
A question I have is say for argument sake I order this as a 36MHZ Radio. Does the radio then allow me to then tell it what 36MHZ frequency I want like or will the radio come (like a crystal radio) with a specific 36.XXX frequency? The reason being is say I need to change frequency to 36.YYY - I would hope I could buy a simple crystal for the TX to do this rather than buy a new 36MHZ module OR are you saying that in this situation I need to buy a new 36MHZ Module.
There is a quite a bit of e-mail discussion occurring re this amongst some of the Aussie guys, and the key question is if we need to change channels where do we get TX crystals or modules from.
Thanks
JohnLeave a comment:
-
Must resist- I barely stretch the capabilities of the FC16, and I'm running out of room!
I use three lithium ion batteries in my FC16- compact and light with very low self discharge. They're rated at 1700mAH and that is enough to keep you going for about 10 hours or more- the electronics don't seem to complain about the increased voltage. I have made up two packs with balancing connectors, both were made up of batteries that were ex-equipment (handheld computers) so I had to break them out of hard plastic cases and then wire them up and cover with heatshrink. Note it's important to use Lithium Ion as opposed to Lithium polymer, as the on-board low voltage detector doesn't kick in until 8.5 volts and the batteries would be knackered. However lithium-ion are fine down to 2.5 volts per cell, so it's all good.Leave a comment:
-
I got the Multiplex Cockpit Sx recently. As Andy says its a very light weight, well built set and the one I use most often on my basic subs. It has a built synthesizer and optional channel checker to show you if the frequency you want is being used already. Its a 7 channel set but I find that only 6 channels are really usable for subs. It is a basic model (flexabilty, cheaper gimbals etc) compared to their high end Royal Pro Tx's. I picked it up when they were EUR 89 from HobbyDirkt (German) and a bunch of receivers which were also reduced.
For larger more more complicated subs like the Typhoon I use my bigger set - Graupner MC-19 which also has a synthesizer. This is a 12channel set with rather more flexibilty than the basic Multiplex with freely asign able channels, and every knob, stick and trim lever can be assigned a channel. All servo throws displayed graphically in real time on the screen at once (nice for proportional piston tanks). It has a built in Software nautic module to allow you to expand 1 channel to 16 switched function and use any switch or trim lever to activated the switched fuction. As well as rather more functions and mixes than I would know what to do with. This is a bigger & heavier set (ships with a 3000mAh SubC battery pack) and really needs to be used with a neck stap or transmitter tray to take the weight off you hands after a while. This I think will be the best Marine/Sub radios ever built in the FM frequencies - all the newer high end models are 2.4Ghz only (Graupner/ Futaba/ Spectrum/ Multiplex/ Jeti all do 2.4Ghz modules specifically for the Mc-19/22 if I ever want to to take to the air with it). With that in mind I started 'protecting' my investment by not using it too much and sticking with the Multiplex for everything other than the more complex subs. However one too many successful Ebay sorties recently means I have have ended up with 3 of the things! 2 Mc-19's and a MC-22s (not shown). Andy, fancy a shiny new in box MC19 to go with those receivers :wink:?
Last edited by Mankster; 06-27-2011, 03:37 AM.Leave a comment:
-
Here is a really good site about the Multiplex sets- http://www.rc-soar.com/multiplex/index.htmLeave a comment:
-
Nope. Robbe FC16 here, but if I was buying a new set today, it would be Multiplex, no question. The Royal Evo is the daddy, but the cockpit sx set is very nice, with a very comfy ergonomical design. Ramesh has one of these, and dare I say, since he purchased it, I've seen it far more often than his uber Graupner/JR rig.Leave a comment:
-
Andy - I take it your using Multiplex? If so what model, where from, how much?We use 35mhz here in the UK, not 36mhz, and this is for aircraft only. 40mhz is exclusively for ground use. You can still use 27mhz and 433mhz if you build your own set.
Robbe FC16's and Graupner sets are far from ubiquitous, in fact quite a rare sight. Futaba sets are popular, as are Hitec. The best sets for submarine use IMO are Multiplex- lots of nice features and controls for the submariner built in, like slider pots and configurable mixers. Also they do fully synthesized tuners with their sets- very nice indeed.
Thanks
JLeave a comment:
-
-
Thanks - I'll check that out.whilst this post is about US Frequencies, I have come across a few specials with regard to 36meg
The Hobby Headquarters in Sydney now has a factory outlet (basically they are selling limited items to the public.)
I have misplaced the brochure but they have limited numbers of
36meg 5 or 6 channel sets with servos for around $90. the set is made by futaba but badged as somethig else. From memory the set is on aircraft frequencies but they have crystals for sale between $2- $10 .
They are clearing out all the crystals - basically a business decision.
I have done an audit of all my frequencies and am intending to top up my crystal box
JLeave a comment:
-
-
You could fit a an internal 2.4ghz module to your existing 40mhz radio and switch between the 2 via a switch on the Tx. The big Euro radio manufactures seem to be winding down their multi channel/higer end 40Mhz gear in favour of 2.4Ghz and every now an again there are some stonking deals. They all offer synthesized receivers and transmitters (no need to worry about crystals) on the 40Mhz range and they should work with any PPM FM receiver or Transmitter.
Grupner and mutiplex have 2.4 Ghz upgrade units for their 35/40Mhz gear that allows you to keep the FM frequency and swich to 2.4 at the flick of a switch on the Tx for the best of both worlds.Leave a comment:
-
Leave a comment:
-
Cheap Radios
whilst this post is about US Frequencies, I have come across a few specials with regard to 36meg
The Hobby Headquarters in Sydney now has a factory outlet (basically they are selling limited items to the public.)
I have misplaced the brochure but they have limited numbers of
36meg 5 or 6 channel sets with servos for around $90. the set is made by futaba but badged as somethig else. From memory the set is on aircraft frequencies but they have crystals for sale between $2- $10 .
They are clearing out all the crystals - basically a business decision.
I have done an audit of all my frequencies and am intending to top up my crystal boxLeave a comment:
-
Tim
thanks for that. The issue here is does Sombra Labs has a compatible RX? We know they do for the US freqs. They state on their website a Euro Freq version was to be released in Spring 2008.
JLeave a comment:
-
John,
I don't know if Mr. Caswell frowns on posting links to other website stores, but...
I did find that wfly seems to make 40mhz versions of the wfly, this particular website seems to carry them, but is currently out of stock.
transmitter:
40Mhz WFT08 8-Channel PCM/PPM Radio System from manufacturer WFLY, in category 7 - 9 Channel Radios, Radio Sets.
module:
WFLY 40MHz RF MODULE Type WFTRF01-FM from manufacturer WFLY, in category 6 Channel Radios, Radio Sets.
based on what i see here and on that website, wfly appears to make modules for the WFT08 in 2.4ghz, 75mhz, 72mhz, 40mhz, 36mhz, and 35mhz
TimLeave a comment:
Leave a comment: