Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Must resist- I barely stretch the capabilities of the FC16, and I'm running out of room!

I use three lithium ion batteries in my FC16- compact and light with very low self discharge. They're rated at 1700mAH and that is enough to keep you going for about 10 hours or more- the electronics don't seem to complain about the increased voltage. I have made up two packs with balancing connectors, both were made up of batteries that were ex-equipment (handheld computers) so I had to break them out of hard plastic cases and then wire them up and cover with heatshrink. Note it's important to use Lithium Ion as opposed to Lithium polymer, as the on-board low voltage detector doesn't kick in until 8.5 volts and the batteries would be knackered. However lithium-ion are fine down to 2.5 volts per cell, so it's all good.

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tsenecal

the wfly transmitter does not use a simple crystal. it has a module about the same size as the receiver that plugs into the back of it, and that module can be one of many types, from a 2.4ghz module to a 27mhz module, the basic module includes both the crystal and the RF circuit. buy the module that works for your country. the thought here is that you could buy one for every distinct frequency you want to use, and pop in the one you want, if you cross from surface to air frequencies, you don't have to send the radio in to have it re-tuned. If you can find something like the hitec spectra for the distinct frequency band you need, then you will only have to buy one module, and it will synthesize any frequency you want, this allows you to change frequencies by dialiing a knob, and you don't have to buy additional crystals or modules.

Tim
      Hi Tim
      can you please give me more details about this module in the Transmitter.

A question I have is say for argument sake I order this as a 36MHZ Radio. Does the radio then allow me to then tell it what 36MHZ frequency I want like or will the radio come (like a crystal radio) with a specific 36.XXX frequency? The reason being is say I need to change frequency to 36.YYY - I would hope I could buy a simple crystal for the TX to do this rather than buy a new 36MHZ module OR are you saying that in this situation I need to buy a new 36MHZ Module.

There is a quite a bit of e-mail discussion occurring re this amongst some of the Aussie guys, and the key question is if we need to change channels where do we get TX crystals or modules from.

Thanks

John
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

The plug-in modules are just tuners. If they're crystal based, you should still be able to swap them out (probably using wfly crystals), if synthesized, you can adjust the frequency either using hardware switches or software.

Comment

• Bradv
          Ensign
          • Jun 2011

Does anyone know which of the major Tx crystal types the WYFLY8's default tuner (esp. for 36 MHz) is compatible with, eg. Futaba, JR, Hitec etc. ?

Thanks!
          Brad
          Triple "S" Model Boat Group - http://triple-s.org.au

Comment

• tsenecal
            Lieutenant
            • Dec 2009

Slats,

sadly, if you buy a module that is a single frequency (not synthesized) the entire module is swapped out. depending on the manufacturer, some of the modules are glued together, some are screwed together. I presume the ones that are screwed together would be accessible. if they are crystal based decks, one might be able to swap out the crystal. In addition to being much more elaborate than simply a crystal, that also means they are much more expensive than just a crystal. (the module actually includes the RF deck, and the 2.4ghz modules include the antenna as well) I have no idea whose crystals would be able to be used if you started disassembling the WFLY modules. All in all, the modules are only favorable to a crystal if you did what i did, and that is to abandon individual frequency modules for the synthesized modules. you could spend a fortune buying all the single frequency modules you would need to replicate a single synthesized module.

Comment

• Mankster
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Apr 2009

I really would be surprised if the removable RF module only came in a fixed frequency. Just about every removal module I have come across from all the majors have some way of changing frequency - either via a crystal or a synthesiser to dial in the frequency (like the Spectra unit)

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Well the next obvious question therefore is does anyone know if you can use JR or Futaba crystals in the WFLY TX?
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Slats,

sadly, if you buy a module that is a single frequency (not synthesized) the entire module is swapped out. depending on the manufacturer, some of the modules are glued together, some are screwed together. I presume the ones that are screwed together would be accessible. if they are crystal based decks, one might be able to swap out the crystal. In addition to being much more elaborate than simply a crystal, that also means they are much more expensive than just a crystal. (the module actually includes the RF deck, and the 2.4ghz modules include the antenna as well) I have no idea whose crystals would be able to be used if you started disassembling the WFLY modules. All in all, the modules are only favorable to a crystal if you did what i did, and that is to abandon individual frequency modules for the synthesized modules. you could spend a fortune buying all the single frequency modules you would need to replicate a single synthesized module.
                  Well this is the thing that is confusing the heck out of me.
                  If I buy the WFLY Radio am I buying a Module that is synthesised OR am I buying a module with a specific removable channel crystal? Or do I need to order it from Mike with a synthesised module?

I have no doubt this is a great radio - but what we need is a straight forward explanation as to what this radio IS and more importantly what it IS'NT. Could I please suggest that someone posts a few more photos of the module and / or crystals, this might help to. Mike's indicated that he needs a bit of bulk order for the 36MHZ we seek here in Australia (which is fair enough), so before half a dozen of us take that plunge, I really want to be 100% clear on understanding this. - Hence the all the questions.

Thanks
                  J
                  Last edited by Slats; 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM.
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• tsenecal
                    Lieutenant
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Slats
                    Well this is the thing that is confusing the heck out of me.
                    If I buy the WFLY Radio am I buying a Module that is synthesised OR am I buying a module with a specific removable channel crystal? Or do I need to order it from Mike with a synthesised module?

I have no doubt this is a great radio - but what we need is a straight forward explanation as to what this radio IS and more importantly what it IS'NT.

Thanks
                    J
                    i ASSUME you will be getting something identical to what i got when i bought my futaba:

a transmitter that has a module in/with it for a specific frequency, and a receiver that has a matching crystal.

what is contained in the module only the manufacturer knows (and possibly you 15 minutes after you start disassembling it).

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

i ASSUME you will be getting something identical to what i got when i bought my futaba:

a transmitter that has a module in/with it for a specific frequency, and a receiver that has a matching crystal.

what is contained in the module only the manufacturer knows (and possibly you 15 minutes after you start disassembling it).
                      Sorry that is not good enough...

The idea from the outset is to not assume anything and not disassemble anything.
                      We want an off the shelf Radio on 36MHZ that works. Period. We don't want to buy something we then have to modify or then come back to Mike with a multitude of please explains. Can you see Mike taking refunds for end users modifying a set - to do so is unreasonable.

Gents - The questions I am asking here go to compatibility with common Futaba and JR equipment are sound. Some of us face a big bill if the new Radio means changing out all of our RXs etc.

The questions I am asking here also go to the nub of what we order....that is if there is 36MHZ synthesised TX module - can the WFLY radio be bought WITH THIS, rather than having to buy another one separately.
                      Do indeed WFLY make this module? Or is there a compatible module we can buy elsewhere? Where do we buy such modules? What are the compatible RXs (synthesised or otherwise) that can be used?

I for one won't be the local guinea pig on this. Sourcing and or selling a radio should not be as frustrating or uninformed as passing on snake oil solutions like RETARDS experimental kits.

In Australia we face a very real problem - there are no local retailers or even wholesalers who are selling 36MHZ sets. 40 MHZ whilst legal here is pretty much full. 36MHZ is ideal for sub use, as the fliers and boaters have transitioned to 2.4GHZ leaving this pretty much as an empty band. For new entrants here we need a supply of 36MHZ radios period. For established sub drivers looking to grab a second radio again we need a source.

Can we please have someone post some photos here of what the TX module looks like? Can someone please answer the questions so dumb arses like my self know up from down.

J
                      Last edited by Slats; 06-29-2011, 11:43 PM.
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• tsenecal
                        Lieutenant
                        • Dec 2009

Slats,

I for one won't be the local guinea pig on this...

if not you, then who?

as to the wfly transmitter working with your current receivers - i can't answer that, but there is considerable precedent that it WILL work. the fact that you are using schultze receivers with your current transmitters is proof that different systems work well. I see no reason why they shouldn't work with the wfly.

as to what the module looks like, page 2, 3, & 4 of the manual show what the transmitter front, back, and wfly module look like:

as to the look of the hitec module: identical to the wfly module except for the dials to set the frequency channel (tiny yellow dials on upper side):
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tsenecal; 06-30-2011, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

If the pinout for wfly module conforms to the futaba standard, you can use the Hitec spectra module, which conforms to the same standard.

They have some funny laws about this sort of thing in the States that say you can't do this, but thankfully here in the Uk the law is different- not sure what the score down under is.

Sussex Model Centre were banging out 40mhz Hitec Spectra synthesized modules a short while ago for £29.

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Slats,

if not you, then who?

:
                            Not that simple Mike needs a minimum order of 36MHZ sets
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Slats,

as to the wfly transmitter working with your current receivers - i can't answer that, but there is considerable precedent that it WILL work. the fact that you are using schultze receivers with your current transmitters is proof that different systems work well. I see no reason why they shouldn't work with the wfly.

as to what the module looks like, page 2, 3, & 4 of the manual show what the transmitter front, back, and wfly module look like:

as to the look of the hitec module: identical to the wfly module except for the dials to set the frequency channel (tiny yellow dials on upper side):
                              Seen those photos -
                              Just found a better photo in the latest Sub drivers Gazette.
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                                If the pinout for wfly module conforms to the futaba standard, you can use the Hitec spectra module, which conforms to the same standard.

They have some funny laws about this sort of thing in the States that say you can't do this, but thankfully here in the Uk the law is different- not sure what the score down under is.

Sussex Model Centre were banging out 40mhz Hitec Spectra synthesized modules a short while ago for £29.
                                Do they make a 36MHZ module of the same?
                                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...