Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Thanks - so do you need to buy a device that Synthesizes the frequency - that is how do you set it up to work with a TX that has a crystal?
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

SL-8 Receiver (Synthesized, 72/75MHz)
      A synthesized ultra-light, ultra-small 8-channel receiver with advanced DSP signal detection, noise control and glitch suppression algorithms.

• Dual conversion, full range. Ultra narrowband (5kHz or better)
      • Excellent sensitivity and IP3 performance
      • Synthesized "crystal-less" operation
      • Frequency selection through a modular, extremely rugged, reliable and easy to use programmer utilizing Sombra Labs' patented "1-Click"(TM) programming technology or our latest AFS ( Automatic Frequency Scanning) technology!
      • AFS locks on the transmitter in less than 30seconds no matter what transmitter channel is used (for both 72MHz and 75MHz)!
      • Three user selectable and programmable failsafe modes
      • Compatible with most of the FM/PPM transmitters
      • Automatic positive/negative transmitter shift detection
      • Fully programmable servo pin assignments, any servo pin can be made to output any channel from Channel 1 to Channel 16
      • Ability to store two user "Servopin-to-Channel" assignments
      • Cascade mode: Two SL-8's can be cascaded together for up to 16-channel operation
      • SL-8 will seamlessly cover 72MHz (Air), 75MHz (Surface) bands; no changes required to the product
      • Most advanced DSP signal detection, noise control and glitch suppression algorithms
      • Ability to turn the DSP filtering on or off using the Sombra programmer
      • Fully FCC compliant.
      • Dimensions: approx. 37mm x 20mm x 12mm (Vertical pin version)
      • Horizontal and Vertical pin configurations
      • Weight: approx. 9gms with full length antenna
      • Designed and manufactured in North America

Lepton 6 Receiver
      A low-cost, high reliability crystal based RC receiver with exceptional performance is now available. Lepton-6 is ultra-light, ultra-small 6-channel receiver with advanced DSP signal detection, noise control and glitch suppression algorithms.
      • Operates on 75mhz. Includes CH 69 Crystal.
      • Full range. Ultra narrowband (5kHz or better)
      • Smallest and the lightest 6-channel receiver in the world
      • Excellent sensitivity and IP3 performance
      • Feature selection through a modular, extremely rugged, reliable and easy to use programmer utilizing Sombra Labs' patented "1-Click"(TM) programming technology
      • Three user selectable and programmable failsafe modes
      • Compatible with most of the FM/PPM transmitters
      • Automatic positive/negative transmitter shift detectionFully programmable servo pin assignments, any servo pin can be made to output any channel from Channel 1 to Channel 16
      • Ability to store two user "Servopin-to-Channel" assignments
      • Cascade mode: Two Lepton- 6's can be cascaded together for upto 12-channel operation
      • Most advanced DSP signal detection, noise control and glitch suppression algorithms
      • Ability to turn the DSP filtering on or off using the Sombra programmer
      • Fully FCC/ic (Industry Canada) compliant
      • Meets all AMA-91 receiver guidelines
      • Dimensions: approx. 38mm x 15mm
      • Weight: approx. 7gms with full length antenna
      • Horizontal pin version available now
      • Designed and manufactured in North America

Sombra Labs Shadow Programmer
      A lowcost, modular, rugged, in-field programming device (patent pending) that is compatible with all Sombra Labs' programmable products.
      • Reliable and easy to use programmer utilizing Sombra Labs' patent pending "1-Click"(TM) programming technology
      • Low cost small, and extremely rugged
      • Can be used for frequency selection on synthesized line of Sombra receivers on the field with 100% reliability
      • Can be used to set failsafe, channel-servo pin mapping, and many more features on all supporting products

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
        How much apx?

J

Same price as the 40mhz on the web page. WOT A DEAL EH!!!!!!

Comment

• Anuci
          Banned
          • Aug 2008

Slats - (So do you need to buy a device that Synthesizes the frequency)

No, simply setup programing as you would any other receiver, or via the 1 step setup offered by the Sombra labs unit, as pointed out above.

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Anuci
            Slats - (So do you need to buy a device that Synthesizes the frequency)

No, simply setup programing as you would any other receiver, or via the 1 step setup offered by the Sombra labs unit, as pointed out above.
            Well first all other RXs I have used don't have programing. You plug in your servos and devices and switch on. - So I don't understand "programing as you would any other receiver"? What does this mean?

Second the thing I am not understanding also is if the Sombra Labs locks on to you TX in 30 seconds, what is the point of the separate programmer unit?

The other thing I still need clarification over is the TX, what are channels 5 through 8? Are they rotary dials, switches (2 or 3 position), description please.

Thanks
            J
            Last edited by Slats; 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

We use 35mhz here in the UK, not 36mhz, and this is for aircraft only. 40mhz is exclusively for ground use. You can still use 27mhz and 433mhz if you build your own set.

Robbe FC16's and Graupner sets are far from ubiquitous, in fact quite a rare sight. Futaba sets are popular, as are Hitec. The best sets for submarine use IMO are Multiplex- lots of nice features and controls for the submariner built in, like slider pots and configurable mixers. Also they do fully synthesized tuners with their sets- very nice indeed.

Comment

• tsenecal
                Lieutenant
                • Dec 2009

Well first all other RXs I have used don't have programing. You plug in your servos and devices and switch on. - So I don't understand "programing as you would any other receiver"? What does this mean?

Second the thing I am not understanding also is if the Sombra Labs locks on to you TX in 30 seconds, what is the point of the separate programmer unit?

The other thing I still need clarification over is the TX, what are channels 5 through 8? Are they rotary dials, switches (2 or 3 position), description please.

Thanks
                J
                J

I own two of the sombra labs SL-8's now, and with the success they allowed over the weekend at the regatta, mr. caswell will be getting an order from me for at least 3 more. here are the advantages i have found over others i have used, and specifically, why you would want to spend the $14 for the little dingus:

1) the size, these things are tiny. as small as the new 2.4ghz receivers, or the castle/berg receivers.
                2) dual conversion, less interference
                3) synthesized frequencies. I can switch from channel x to channel y in 5 seconds.

4) every single channel can be set to have its individual "failsafe" position.
                5) 8 definable channels
                6) more than 8 channels

if you don't have the dingus, you don't get #4, #5, or #6, and #3 can take 30 seconds... if you are at a regatta, or other site where more than one TX is on, you might actually link to someone else's transmitter. although not mandatory, the dingus makes #3 much easier and deliberate.

#4 option: my Alvin puts its 3 motors and 3 steering servos to neutral, blows the ballast tank, and turns the lights on if i turn off the transmitter... without any additional hardware... this is all built into the receiver.
                #5 option: you can have channel 7 on the #4 pins if you want it, redefining what pins are what channel , this allows you to move all the servos to the first 5 sets of pins, but not necessarily use the first 5 channels on the TX.
                #6 option: you can gang two receivers together (master & slave), if you have a 12 channel transmitter, you can use two 8 channel receivers and have all 12 channels available in the sub.

lastly, you only need one $14 dingus, it isn't tied to a specific receiver.

once you have decided how you want your receiver setup, then it acts just like any other receiver. power it on and go.

as to your final question, channel 5 through 8 are whatever your TX has/defines. my futaba 9c has 2 paddles, 3 rotary knobs, 6 two position switches, and 2 three position switches. I can assign any of these switches to any of the additional channels.
                Last edited by tsenecal; 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• tsenecal
                  Lieutenant
                  • Dec 2009

J,

I have found a PDF of the wfly 8 channel transmitter manual, you might want to snag it for personal perusal:

on page 3 of the manual there is a photo labeling all the extra switches and knobs the radio has, it appears to be mislabeled, but you have switches A thru F, and knobs VA, VB, and VC.

on page 30 of the manual it shows the menu selection that allows you to assign the channels 5 thru 8 to the specific switch or knob you want to use, very much like my futaba 9c

Comment

• tsenecal
                    Lieutenant
                    • Dec 2009

j, I know this doesn't mean much to you, but here in the US, this adds another level of "cool" to the wft08:

based on the photo on page 4 of the manual, and some googling, i have found that the wfly wft08 CAN use the hitec spectra synthesized frequency module, allowing you to have complete assignability of the frequency the transmitter uses, and if used along with a sombra labs sl-8, you would then be able to choose any of the 75mhz frequencies.

From economical sport to high end, ultra premium, we have the perfect high voltage servo for you!

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tsenecal
                      j, i have found that the wfly wft08 can use the hitec spectra synthesized frequency module, allowing you to have complete assignability of the frequency the transmitter uses, and if used along with a sombra labs sl-8, you would then be able to choose any of the 75mhz frequencies.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/sur...hz-module.html

that's what i've been trying to tell ya!

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Sorry but I still don't get this.
                        What the hell is a dingus?
                        If the RX locks on to the TX isn't there a danger of locking on to another person's TX?
                        I also need to know FOR THE WFLY TX THAT MIKE SELLS, what is the configuration of channels 5 through 8?
                        How the hell do you change channels in 5 seconds - isn't there a crystal in the THE WFLY TX THAT MIKE SELLS?
                        Why would I want failsafes on all channels - that sounds like PCM - which is tried and tested in my country as **** for subs. Completely incompatible with Levellers and the blow failsafe. I find one failsafe connected to the ballast blow sufficient. Are these units PCM? The spec said PPM?

The manual is confusing too.

I am coming from 20+ years of simple FM PPM TX and RX operations - no programing -nothing sophisticated and crystals fixed in both the TX and the RX.
                        Can someone explain in plain non tech speak how this all works. Sorry if I being pedantic but I simply won't buy a product I don't understand.

I have the 40Mhz Robbe Futaba F16C
                        see http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalo...m4773fi42v38ec

and Schulze Rxs

- simple - both Tx and Rx have crystals, whilst some will poo poo the system as simple this was recommended by the UK guys as good gear. I am looking to get a second Radio on 35 / 36 MHZ, hence my inquiry. Surely someone can give a simple explanation.

Thanks

J
                        Last edited by Slats; 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM.
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• tsenecal
                          Lieutenant
                          • Dec 2009

John,

I fear our little discussion here has gone way out of the realm of the original topic.

as to your robbe f16c, i think it is a perfectly acceptable radio, not at all "simple", in fact quite advanced, it probably even has the same guts as my futaba 9c. if you were to post a picture of the back of the transmitter, i could tell you for sure.

the term "dingus":
                          –noun, plural -us·es. Informal .
                          a gadget, device, or object whose name is unknown or forgotten.

ie, the sombra labs programmer thingy.

i will try to answer some of the questions you brought up in post #26:

the sombra labs receiver is PPM, but it is controlled by a microprocessor. the microprocessor is what gives it the ability to ACT like it is PCM, as well as give you the ability to pick the frequency you want. there are two ways to pick the frequency, either by setting the receiver to scan, or by using the "dingus" to program it. by using the dingus, you do not risk the possibility of locking onto someone else's transmitter.

I like having a failsafe on all channels. I have had a couple simple receivers that when signal was lost, shot the throttle to maximum, so even though the sub had an empty ballast tank, it was diving dynamically, and impossible to retrieve until the motor battery died.

the wfly transmitter out of the box probably has the 5-8 channels programmed by default to several of the switches, but, as i stated in post #23, according to page 30 of the manual, you can set any of the 9 switches or knobs to be used for your channels 5-8, you decide what switches control what functions.

the wfly transmitter does not use a simple crystal. it has a module about the same size as the receiver that plugs into the back of it, and that module can be one of many types, from a 2.4ghz module to a 27mhz module, the basic module includes both the crystal and the RF circuit. buy the module that works for your country. the thought here is that you could buy one for every distinct frequency you want to use, and pop in the one you want, if you cross from surface to air frequencies, you don't have to send the radio in to have it re-tuned. If you can find something like the hitec spectra for the distinct frequency band you need, then you will only have to buy one module, and it will synthesize any frequency you want, this allows you to change frequencies by dialiing a knob, and you don't have to buy additional crystals or modules.

here in the states, we use 75mhz frequencies, and they are labelled #61 through #90. on both the sombra labs dingus, and the hitec module, there are two knobs. to choose frequency #79, one would dial the first knob to #7, and the second knob to #9 on both the transmitter module and dingus, plug the module into the transmitter, then plug the dingus into the receiver, press and hold a button for 5 seconds, then remove the dingus. the operation takes a total of 6 seconds if you know what you are doing. I can pick any of the 30 frequencies that are not being used by someone else at the pond.

I don't know if you really need all that, but whenever I go to a large regatta, i am basically guaranteed that i won't have to share a frequency.

I don't mind answering your questions, or clarifying a point to make sure you understand it.

Tim

Comment

• Anuci
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2008

Tim,

I was wondering if you are, or had ever been an Educator? I now know who to turn to when I don't quite understand something or other in the R/C field, and require someone with patience and resolve. : )

Thanks for your complete explaination, it's been most enlightening.

Regards,

Al,
                            Last edited by Anuci; 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM. Reason: correcting grammar

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Thanks Tim,
                              this makes more sense but I am sure i might have a few more questions.

So Mike - do I have to but the module for the TX separately? How much are separate modules?
                              Thanks
                              j
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                                • Aug 2008

Thanks Tim,
                                this makes more sense but I am sure i might have a few more questions.

So Mike - do I have to buy the module for the TX separately? How much are separate modules?
                                Thanks
                                j
                                See the last Sub-driver Gazette there is an article regarding Hitec modules.

We don't sell them, but look on Ebay etc.

Comment

Working...