X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Fittings kits - rig for silent running

Our line of fittings kits were designed to help the beginning modeler with the conversion of many readily available and cost-effective plastic model kits to R/C. They included a myriad of parts including cylinder mounting bulkheads, metal props, control surfaces and much more.

Unfortunately, the creation of all of these dozens of parts is a time-consuming and labor-intensive process. While not cheap, the prices we were charging were nowhere near what it was taking to produce them.

Thus, we've decided to torpedo the lineup and focus on other products.

As of right now, I've got a number of these fittings kits in stock. In theory, my site is up to date on inventory. Once we run through what we have, there will be no more made.

I know that this is going to make it more difficult for people to get into the hobby, but in all honesty, they were a convenience, not a necessity. Anyone with basic fabrication skills can reproduce what was in those kits, albeit with a lot of time and energy invested.

I'm really sorry to everyone who may have been counting on these to help get them started in this fascinating world of RC subs. Of course, I'm always here to help as I can in your journey.

Bob
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

Will you still carry the WTC's for them??????

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Absolutely. There are no plans to discontinue manufacturing the cylinders (provided Dave stays healthy and motivated!).

I'll keep my eyes open for alternate manufacturing paths for the fittings kits, but if Dave can't justify the expense, I have many doubts that anyone else would...

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

I further explain why I'm dropping production of the fittings kit:

First, as Bob has pointed out, they take a great deal of time to make -- if I were to charge enough to return a fair price for each, most of you would go ballistic at the retail price. Second, I just don't have the time to do both SubDriver's and fittings kits and meet the demand; If I'm to fill orders in a reasonable amount of time, with minimum delay, something had to give. And that something was the fittings kits.

Most of you guys already have the skills and tools to make your own modifications to plastic model kits to convert them over from simple display pieces to well running r/c submarines. You don't me holding your hands from beginning to end.

If you do need these fittings kits -- you can't or won't do the work -- then I suggest you're not ready for this game to start with ... you would be happier doing something else with your time and money.

I'm motivated -- always have been. And my ticker is being fixed, so that deals with the health side of the equation. I'm still here, you SOB's!

SD's are and will be available.

Stop your *****ing, everyone, and get back to work!

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
          Detail Nut of the First Order
          • Sep 2010

Talking about fitting kits, did something arrived at your doorstep?

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
            Talking about fitting kits, did something arrived at your doorstep?

Manfred.
            Yes, yes I did, Manfred. They're excellent, by the way. Sorry about my late acknowledgment -- things have been busy around here.

For those looking over our shoulders, Manfred has provided me parts for my own V80 -- its in the stack of 'things to do'.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Get your pump fixed. None of this stuff is worth a light without your health.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                Get your pump fixed. None of this stuff is worth a light without your health.
                Well put, Andy. And right on point. I'm getting an outpatient 'ablation' (again!). That should put things right. No big deal as this is a fixable problem.

People need these SD's. And I've got models to play with at the lake. My bucket-list is long and demanding.

This ain't Cancer; this ain't a heart-attack; this ain't falling down an elevator shaft; and this ain't pulling on Superman's cape. This little hiccup of mine is small beans in the action packed world of somethings-eventually-going-to-get-you.

I'm well motivated to live, and live well: I can't **** on my enemies graves if I precede them to the underworld! I'm clawing my way back to good health.

We all have reasons to live. I just revealed some of mine. We now (to Bob's relief, no doubt) resume normal submarine model programming.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Get well soon Mate.

Comment

• vital.spark
                    Commander
                    • May 2010

Well said David! Life is for living not slaving in a workshop 24/7. You and Ellie, do take care of yourselves!

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

So, you're getting an 'out-patient' ablation eh? Sooner you than me pal! What are they going to do it in the parking lot? Seriously, I hope you'll at least be in the hospital overnight, while they make sure the hole they drill in your leg heals up!
                      I'm going in for another one soon too, but not looking forward to all my 'stuff' going black from the bruising - again.

I'm glad to hear you're streamlining your products David. It was a never ending game of catch-up with so many products - and all made in that very tiny workshop of yours. At least, the business has now 'evolved' and should be plain sailing now. Good luck with the 'op'.

Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• bwi 971
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I'm well motivated to live, and live well: I can't **** on my enemies graves if I precede them to the underworld! I'm clawing my way back to good health.

David
                        You better be sir, You have to assemble a VICTOR III next year. How is that for motivation.

By the way what in the hell are "plastic model kits"

Get better soon David.

grtz,
                        Bart
                        Last edited by bwi 971; 11-17-2017, 10:38 AM.
                        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Snipah
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jul 2012

Hi Guys, been busy with life and kids so haven't been trolling the boards in a while :-)

I posted to Bob on the subject above of no more fitting kits and mentioned that you should create a PDF template of some of the bulkhead parts, Fittings list, or other parts that would show a build outline and post em up for folk to download and use. You could even set a Paypal figure on the download if you need a beer fund or some such! Just an idea and ideas are free....

Also get well Dave and you other bunch of old farts...

PS send me a Gato kit and I will do it for you! LOL :-D

Kind Regards

Brett
                          New Zealand

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Snipah
                            Hi Guys, been busy with life and kids so haven't been trolling the boards in a while :-)

I posted to Bob on the subject above of no more fitting kits and mentioned that you should create a PDF template of some of the bulkhead parts, Fittings list, or other parts that would show a build outline and post em up for folk to download and use. You could even set a Paypal figure on the download if you need a beer fund or some such! Just an idea and ideas are free....

Also get well Dave and you other bunch of old farts...

PS send me a Gato kit and I will do it for you! LOL :-D

Kind Regards

Brett
                            New Zealand
                            If Bob wants to scan what fittings kit parts he still has and reduce my work to files of orthographic renderings for the few true modelers out there, or to run a model-building robot (CNC, 3D, ST Replicater, etc.), fine with me. Yet another nail in the Craft coffin.

Yikes!

But, take heart: There's a guy looking to take over production of the fittings kits. We'll see if that pans out or not. In the mean-time you're all SOL.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Snipah
                              Lieutenant
                              • Jul 2012

Haha typical response, you must be feeling better

Comment

Working...