X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ir3aus
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2010

Revell Gato: Installing Dog Bones & SubDriver

Me and my absent mindedness created the dog bone shaft couplers with theSub Driver drive shafts 180 degrees out. My problem and fortunately one of the local shops has some Dumas Dog bones in stock and plenty of aluminum tubing. Setting this aside, even though there is not a terrible amount of misalignment from the SubDriver to the prop shafts, I believe the dog bone ends should be installed at right angles for minimum coupling friction. I am not sure that this is absolutely necessary but is probably the most efficient.

ir3
    There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
    Me and my absent mindedness created the dog bone shaft couplers with theSub Driver drive shafts 180 degrees out. My problem and fortunately one of the local shops has some Dumas Dog bones in stock and plenty of aluminum tubing. Setting this aside, even though there is not a terrible amount of misalignment from the SubDriver to the prop shafts, I believe the dog bone ends should be installed at right angles for minimum coupling friction. I am not sure that this is absolutely necessary but is probably the most efficient.

ir3
    I'm not clear on what it is you're trying to convey here? Is the distance between shaft and SD couplers too long for the standard dog-bone, is that what you mean?

Or, are you sweating the angular displacement between propeller shaft and SD output shaft? If that's the deal, don't sweat it, the Dumas universal system will take up to a ten-degree off-set, no sweat.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ir3aus
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2010

Using the technique that is described in the video on setting up the couplers between the motor output and the prop shafts I was just wondering if the orientation of the dog bone halves was a factor. Normally they are at 90 degrees to each other but I guess in this case it does not matter.

Iran
      There is a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ir3aus
        Using the technique that is described in the video on setting up the couplers between the motor output and the prop shafts I was just wondering if the orientation of the dog bone halves was a factor. Normally they are at 90 degrees to each other but I guess in this case it does not matter.

Iran
        Oh! Gotcha now, Iran.

I've had the ends of a lengthened dog-bone oriented with their nubs any number of degree's apart -- I don't pay much attention to it. Only thing you'll get if the opposed nubs are on or close to the same plane is a slight rattling within the couplers. No big deal.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...