Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

I was wondering if it would be possible to use in this set up a centrifugal (dynamic type) pump instead of a gear or peristaltic (positive displacement type) pump? Dynamic pumps have the ability to operate under closed valve conditions, as oppose to positive displacement pump which result in a continual build up in pressure resulting in mechanical failure of either pipeline or pump ( in this case rupture of the bag ) hence no danger of overfilling.

Since they're no designed to run reversible I would need to install 2 pumps, 1 to fill and another to empty the bag.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
      I was wondering if it would be possible to use in this set up a centrifugal (dynamic type) pump instead of a gear or peristaltic (positive displacement type) pump? Dynamic pumps have the ability to operate under closed valve conditions, as oppose to positive displacement pump which result in a continual build up in pressure resulting in mechanical failure of either pipeline or pump ( in this case rupture of the bag ) hence no danger of overfilling.

Since they're no designed to run reversible I would need to install 2 pumps, 1 to fill and another to empty the bag.
      Good point and a practical, simple solution to the over-pressurization-of-the-bag problem. Yes, the centrifugal pump is self-limiting as to maximum system pressure, but that very same 'leak-by' characteristic that makes the centrifugal pump useful in this application also necessitates the inclusion in the system of a valve to isolate the pump from the filled bag. No big deal, a simple pinch-tube type valve will work here. The same cam that toggles the pump switch 'on' can, in the other direction, pinch the supply tube from pump to the bag 'shut'.

And yes, you can use a second centrifugal pump to empty the bag. You could also use the one centrifugal pump with four isolation valves (arranging the pump and valves in a 'balanced bridge' type circuit -- though hydraulic, not electronic) to fill, isolate, and empty the bag.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
        You could also use the one centrifugal pump with four isolation valves (arranging the pump and valves in a 'balanced bridge' type circuit -- though hydraulic, not electronic) to fill, isolate, and empty the bag.
        Can you provide an illustration (even a hand sketch will do)

Thank you.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• bassplayer1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2010

Very usefull advise indeed, I still have a lot to learn from you people! Thank you all! Something I forgot to mention on my previus post is that I do have instaled a fail-safe and also a "pinch" valve on the way to the bag. Here is a photo.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by bassplayer1
            Very usefull advise indeed, I still have a lot to learn from you people! Thank you all! Something I forgot to mention on my previus post is that I do have instaled a fail-safe and also a "pinch" valve on the way to the bag. Here is a photo.
            Ah! The picture tells it all. You are almost completely covered.

But, one last casualty scenario for you to consider and protect against: Partial loss of system power; the receiver and fail-safe and hence the servo loose power, but the pump-motor does not -- a blown BEC could cause this situation -- while inflating the bag.

That would necessitate a relief valve somewhere between the pump discharge nipple and the bag. That relieve valve either dumping overboard or into the suction side of the pump. May I suggest a modified Schrader valve?

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2010

That's something I never thought off! Thanks a lot again David!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                Geared water pump, not a peristaltic.
                Oh! I stand corrected, Andy. Good catch. Thanks.

That explains the pinch-valve in the discharge line. Duh!

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Outrider
                  Commander
                  • Aug 2008

Nice to see the Wizard engaged again on the Type 214. Now maybe we can get him to start talking about his own Type 214 work again. Though it's "merely" a 1:144 Revell kit, it's still nice work. If only we knew more about it... It's an interesting topic in any scale. If only we could receive some wisdom on the subject. If only...
                  Last edited by Outrider; 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                    Dynamic pumps have the ability to operate under closed valve conditions,
                    For a short period

It should also be remebered that centrif pumps run at a lower flow as the pressure increases, so getting that last drop into the bag may take some time
                    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• bassplayer1
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2010

Hi everyone! I had a good time today sailing my 214! Some more adjustments have to be done but generally speaking I'm quiet pleased with that! Here are some pictures and tomorrow I'll post a video!

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

A beautiful boat and I admire your set up and craftsmanship. One area of concern. About 10 years ago I applied a similar pinch valve to a line to a sealed rigid tank.
                        The boat ran beautifully for many many months, until the pinch valve (which in my case was a roller on the end of the servo arm), finally combined with the water pressure to fatigue the line enough to cause a crack in the flexible line I used. May I suggest as part of your preflight checks that you thoroughly inspect the line for fatigue / failure every day you use it. The boat that this happened to still sails today in the hands of a collector. But in handing it over to him, I suggested he not only regularly check the line but he replace it after every 20 hours of operation. There is nothing at all wrong with the set up, Norbert B's book even documents it, but its an area of expected fatigue and eventual part failure that needs to be respected. I apologise in advance if you are already aware of this.

Best
                        John
                        Last edited by Slats; 06-29-2010, 12:21 AM.
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Wonderful work! An inspiration.

(I've got to get this damn little 1/144, Type-214 going for Jim -- long promised and still in work).

I'm simply amazed at your fabrication expertise and ability to integrate, successfully, the sub-systems required to get this beautiful model working. You have taken us back to school with this project; this thread has been very instructive. Thank you.

Yeah, let's see that video!

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2010

Thank you guys! Here are a couple of videos but they are not very good, it's my son messing around with the camera!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppYvi7E8NFE

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

A nimble performer - well done.
                              J
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                              Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• bassplayer1
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Mar 2010

Thank you John also for the advice about the pinch valve! To be honest, it does worry me a bit! Mind you I liked your thread about the semi aspirated tank and I'm thinking about making one when I get some time! That will solve the problem of the pinch valve and I won't have to worry about it any more!

Comment

Working...