X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Horrido
    Ensign
    • Aug 2008

1/32 32nd Parallel TYPE VII BRASS FITTINGS

OK. New here. Have a problem regarding lower flooding holes on 1/32 Type VII. Like the 1/72 scale Revell, I would like to replace foreward and aft flooding holes. I can do it the old fashioned way (template, and cutting and filing), or, photoetch brass like 1/72 Revell. Anyone have any experiance with this? I have the photoetched deck from Larue.

thanks
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Lets say you find PE limber and flood-drain holes -- installing (insetting) the brass stuff into a GRP will result in bulged/pulled seams where the two different substrates will compress/pull apart as the boat is subjected to rapid temperature changes.

I would go the mark-out and cut route.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Horrido
      Ensign
      • Aug 2008

Thank you David. Would the same problems be encountered with the Revell Type VII? If I did have a photo etch flooding/drain holes brass inset, it would first be set and epoxyed into a frame that was constructed from inside the boat, such as a picture frame and glass. The brass would be of the same thickness as the deck (which is a three piece brass photo etched deck).

I do have templates that I scaled up from photo copies of the Revell etched parts.

Thank you again for your input.

Marshall

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Though your 'frame' within the hull will afford more contact area between the inset PE piece and the rest of the model you still have the demarcation line --where the four edges of the PE brass inset piece meets the polystyrene of the kit.

Epoxy is flexible enough not to fracture under the slight stress of the relative motion caused by the different expansion/contraction of the two different materials, so that's fine. But, a slight 'bulge' will be evidenced at the demarcation lines as you use the model.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...