X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2013

SSGN Harpoon Project status

I finally got my sub running consistently.Fully charged battery gives me at least 40 minutes play time. This sub is not a model of any existing sub rather a concept of what future submarines may look like. I took a cue from the fighter planes body shapes in designing the hull. For a home building effort, I chose a wooden hull painted with epoxy to seal it from water. The two piece hull (upper and lower) provided a very simple access to the propulsion system WTC which is held simply by two clips. No tools needed to release the clips. The actuators are connected by clicks. The propeller shaft by the usual dog bone coupling. This makes it easy to remove the WTC from the hull for any servicing needed. This boat uses RECAB system for diving. The most challenge was the leak down rates for the compressed air system parts (pump, solenoid valve). I had to find a check valve small enough to fit, which I had to add for redundancy to hold the air pressure constant, i.e. reduce to minimum the air pressure leak down rate. Low enough to at least allow enough air for a battery charge running. I also glued all air tube connections. A bubble of air is enough to affect the system. Quite sensitive. This was the hard part to overcome.
    My last video is on u tube "ssgn harpoon04". There are two other videos. ssbn harpoon is the gas ballast system sub. The oldest (3rd) was my first prototype.
    Some pictures: RECAB side by side compared to Gas (SSGN VS SSBN BOATS), The hull skeleton frame, The pair of leveling ballasts disguised as slung under the hull weapons (super torpedoes?), and front end showing the stabilizer fins protecting the leveling ballasts. It was a challenge to build these boats. gave me a feeling of achievement considering I started fro scratch. Thanks to David Merriman for the support he provided. I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITH OUT HIS HELP.

Added picture of the WTC fwd end showing the battery dry chamber and to the right the wet chamber containing the bladder.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cliffhanger67; 06-25-2015, 06:39 AM. Reason: add pictures
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

It was a pleasure sir. I so enjoyed watching you overcome each and every problem until you achieved success with the project. You're an outside-the-box sort of thinker and have the dogged determination to see a difficult project all the way to a successful conclusion. Not enough of that around these days. Excellent work, sir.

Well done!

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Where did you place the bladder/s in the RCABS version?
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• cliffhanger67
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2013

the basic arrangement is as follows forward to aft inside the WTC:
        End cap, Battery (bulkhead) bladder (bulkhead) pump and solenoid valve, ADF2, ES2, LIPO, SombraLabs receiver, servos, motor, etc. End cap. i could not find option to post photo with reply. will try to post later.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Yes, this site has a problem with the advanced uploading of photos. So you need to use the basic uploader. Here is a link to how to upload photos, it is about midway down. http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...ghlight=Upload
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
            Lieutenant
            • Oct 2013

I have a problem with my gas diver system. this assembly was working before. Now it lost motor rotation in one direction, i.e. motor turns in one direction only. I swapped ESC, another motor, receiver, moved motor connection to another channel (rudder), Lipo Guard, ADF2, transmitter. None corrected the issue. Any one help, suggestions?

Comment

• cliffhanger67
              Lieutenant
              • Oct 2013

I need a motor same dimensions as a 380 but with more torque. suggestions where to find one?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Rockcrawler motors perhaps...

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                  Lieutenant
                  • Oct 2013

Originally posted by cliffhanger67
                  I need a motor same dimensions as a 380 but with more torque. suggestions where to find one?
                  I found one from RC SUB WORKSHOP in Hong Kong. Size 480. dimensions not exactly same as a 380 but pretty close to fit my space. My only issue is they cannot give info on how much more powerful v.s. a 380. Well, I am desperate so I will bite the bullet and see how it works.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                    Lieutenant
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    It was a pleasure sir. I so enjoyed watching you overcome each and every problem until you achieved success with the project. You're an outside-the-box sort of thinker and have the dogged determination to see a difficult project all the way to a successful conclusion. Not enough of that around these days. Excellent work, sir.

Well done!

M
                    Thank you.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

You want more torque. Then the replacement motor will have fewer turns than the original. Take your current motor apart, count the turns on one pole, then order a new motor with about half the turns you have now.

Just say'n.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2046.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	108946 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2034.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	108947 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2043.JPG
Views:	97
ID:	108948 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2026.JPG
Views:	103
ID:	108949

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                        Lieutenant
                        • Oct 2013

Thank you . Options taken:
                        Bought 480 motor about same dimensions as 380.
                        Considering offer from fellow submariner for a more torque 380.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Cliffhanger, can you post close-up photos of the internal components of your RCABS WTC? Salamat po.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                            Lieutenant
                            • Oct 2013

Next time I take apart I will take pictures. That may be a few weeks as as long as it is working I do not want to do it.

Comment

Working...