• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bassplayer1
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by profesorul
    HELLO Kir YANNIS ,

You apply the resin and fiber glass directly on a blue foam ?
    Doesn't melt it ?.

Do You have a picture or can You make a picture with : "... bondo and a couple of coats of two pack automotive filler ... " , PLEASE .
    There are so many types and I want to see witch one You use , maybe I can find something similar in my country .
    THANK YOU .

MARIUS
    Epoxy resin dosn't melt foam!
    About bondo and two pack filler I have explained it to you in another forum I think! Just go in a shop where they sell car paints and stuff and ask them for body filler and two pack primer for spray guns!

Comment

• bassplayer1
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2010

Continuing with the moulding

Comment

• bassplayer1
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2010

Upper hull moulded, now time for the lower half wich is going to be in one piece, no parting board!

Comment

• bassplayer1
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2010

Mould ready, cleaned up, polished and ready for lamination. Some photos

Comment

• bassplayer1
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2010

Lamination completed

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

OK ... how do you do it?

I see the excess GRP trimmed off at the flange plane of your tools. At what point during the cure, and what kind of knife are you using to get such a nice trim job?

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2010

David, I let it reach to the "green state", usualy 1-1/1/2 h for polyester resin depending on the temperature, then I use a stanley knife with
                a new blade fully extended layed flat on the flange. The trick here is to do the job when the resin is soft enough to be cut but not to soft otherwise
                you will tear the cloth off.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bassplayer1
                  David, I let it reach to the "green state", usualy 1-1/1/2 h for polyester resin depending on the temperature, then I use a stanley knife with
                  a new blade fully extended layed flat on the flange. The trick here is to do the job when the resin is soft enough to be cut but not to soft otherwise
                  you will tear the cloth off.
                  Gotcha! Thanks, Yannis.

I do pretty much the same, but I use one of the kitchen steak-knifes (when Ellie's not looking).

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bassplayer1
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Gotcha! Thanks, Yannis.

I do pretty much the same, but I use one of the kitchen steak-knifes (when Ellie's not looking).

M

Ellie will kill you when she finds out !!! Why don't you use a stanley knife

Comment

• bassplayer1
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2010

Here are some photos of the final product straight out of the mould, it just needs some cleaning and trimming.
                      Also there are two videos of unmoulding the upper and lower halfs of the hull and I'm not saying by any means that that's
                      the proper way of doing it, I just have no free space in the workshop, I have to clean up one of these days!!!

Comment

• bwi 971
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2015

That is stunning work Yannis....I have learned a lot from your molding techniques.

Seeing the video I now understand why you divided the upper hull mold into sections. I saw no sweat on your forehead removing it…..mine was dripping on the floor.
                        I wish I had that knowledge when I made my molds.

I noted you are fighting for space in your workshop.......I’m willing to help you out on that……..just sent over that second hull I won’t charge you for it LOL.

Grtz,
                        Bart
                        Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                        "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

Great work. In an earlier post you mentions that a French company commissioned young build this. Are they planning to sell hulls?

Comment

• bassplayer1
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bwi 971
                            That is stunning work Yannis....I have learned a lot from your molding techniques.

Seeing the video I now understand why you divided the upper hull mold into sections. I saw no sweat on your forehead removing it…..mine was dripping on the floor.
                            I wish I had that knowledge when I made my molds.

I noted you are fighting for space in your workshop.......I’m willing to help you out on that……..just sent over that second hull I won’t charge you for it LOL.

Grtz,
                            Bart
                            We all learn from each other Bart and from the ones before us and that for me is the whole point! Pure magic! Keep up the good work you're doing!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by HardRock
                              Great work. In an earlier post you mentions that a French company commissioned young build this. Are they planning to sell hulls?

Yes, they are, soon I hope!!!

Comment

• bassplayer1
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Mar 2010

Some photos of the masters of the antenas and others. The two periscopes and the all brass antena are going to stay as they are because are to thin and I think they'll brake quite easily if casted in epoxy. Does enyone have any photos of the snorkel PLEASE !!!

Comment

Working...