X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2013

Setting up ADF2

This problem is on my other boat, "SSBN Harpoon-02" which has been running for awhile now. I have this posted also on U tube. It is a gas diving system sub.
    This post is to solicit help for setting up ADF2. I had it working and in the course of a clean up and reassembly, the rear diving plane controlled by the ADF2 stopped responding correctly. It moves only in one direction from neutral. I have 3 ADF2's I am playing with, two are new. I cannot seem to program the servo to rotate both ways from neutral. Following the instructions for set up, it results in the servo rotating only in one direction. I tried another LIPO GUARD. same result. Changed the servo with one I know works. No change in result. Changed LIPO GUARD, no change in results.
    I have done this programming many times that worked but this time it would not. I did not follow to the letter the factory instructions as I could not get it to work with it.
    So I did it this way (I think). I suspect my issues are related to steps 2 and 3.
    The vague part of the instruction is on step 2 and 3. This is where I have to do my own interpret. When you are at the 3 green blinking light. I would rotate channel 6 to surface action on the rear plane, tilt the ADF2 to surfacing direction, then push the set up button to green light. Release set up. 4 green blinks. Return CH 6 to neutral. Rotate CH 6 to dive, tilt ADF2 to dive also, push set up to green light. release set up. two red blinks for fail safe.
    Now it will only respond with rotating in one direction, either way depending which rotation on Ch 6 you assigned to diving and surfacing.
    Any one can give me a cookbook recipe to correctly program ADF2? Maybe I just lucked out in my method? Thanks.
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Hmmm, I think your problem is caused by tilting or lowering the model during your set-up, as i remember right, only adress diveplanes up or diveplanes down with your channel 6, in that stages you're telling the ADF which movement is up or down, by moving your model also you counteract the movement, creating your problem.
    To be sure i'll check-up the instructions for you, or you could ask Kevin, he invented this little levelkeeper after all.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

Normal procedure will be,

To enter progam mode, push the button and power up your receiver, the green led will be steady.
      Pitch control, push button shortly to get a 2 blink green led, this is the neutral setting of your stick, confirm it by pushing the button once more(steady green led)
      Full rise position of your stick, starts with the 3 blink green led, pull the stick into full rise mode, and keep it there!!!, confirm by pushing button.(steady green led)
      Orientation mode, starts with the 4 blink green led, aim the bow of the model to the ceiling, confirm by pushing the button.(steady green led)
      Unless you have connected the ballastlead, you are finished.

Manfred.
      Last edited by MFR1964; 02-21-2015, 09:15 AM.
      I went underground

Comment

• cliffhanger67
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2013

OK, This sounds simple and straight forward and just like the instruction sheet that came with it.
        Let me just clarify. The aft planes servo is hooked up to the ADF2 pitch side and the ADF2 wire goes to the ch 6 of the receiver. And ch 6 is a knob on the WFLY 08/WFLY 06. Therefore the "stick" refers to this knob. In my case turning it c'clockwise is the rise command.
        So based on this instructions, once I am at the 3 green blinks, I will turn the ch 6 knob c'clockwise to its stop (limit). push set up button till solid green. now 4 green blinks. do I leave the knob on its rise position or turn it to neutral? then point the ADF2 such that the boat's nose is up. Push set up botton again to solid green. Release. 2 red blinks. Push ch 4 stick to the left to blow ballast. Push set up button to solid green. release ch 4 stick. Repeat for the 3 red blinks.
        For now my issue is that this protocol does not work. The servo do not move or it jams to the left.
        Thank you.
        Last edited by cliffhanger67; 02-22-2015, 05:36 AM. Reason: LAST SENTENCES DID NOT GET IN

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by cliffhanger67
          OK, This sounds simple and straight forward and just like the instruction sheet that came with it.
          Let me just clarify. The aft planes servo is hooked up to the ADF2 pitch side and the ADF2 wire goes to the ch 6 of the receiver. And ch 6 is a knob on the WFLY 08/WFLY 06. Therefore the "stick" refers to this knob. In my case turning it c'clockwise is the rise command.
          So based on this instructions, once I am at the 3 green blinks, I will turn the ch 6 knob c'clockwise to its stop (limit). push set up button till solid green. now 4 green blinks. do I leave the knob on its rise position or turn it to neutral? then point the ADF2 such that the boat's nose is up. Push set up botton again to solid green. Release. 2 red blinks. Push ch 4 stick to the left to blow ballast. Push set up button to solid green. release ch 4 stick. Repeat for the 3 red blinks.
          For now my issue is that this protocol does not work. The servo do not move or it jams to the left.
          Thank you.
          Have you verified that the transmitter end-points on the channel you're using are at 100% - 100% during ADF2 set-up? That bit me once.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

When you had your steady led, you can turn your knob to neutral, basically the same as letting the stick go to neutral, after that you can program the orientation, i always keep the boat vertical towards the ceiling for this step.
            And David is right about the endpoint settings, it must be 100%-100%, if not, it will mess you up.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• KevinMc
              Commander
              • Feb 2009

I think that Manfred has hit it on the head - it's an error in the setup process that's fouling up the configuration.

2GreenBlink - boat level, Channel 6 to mid-range (neutral) position. Push button 'till green LED goes solid.
              3GreenBlink - boat still level, Channel 6 to full-rise position. Push button 'till green LED goes solid. (-> This is where you're going wrong pointing the boat "to the surface".)
              4GreenBlink - boat pointed to ceiling. (Channel 6 position doesn't matter.) Push button 'till green LED goes solid.

Try it out, let me know if you have any difficulties. (Of course I'm also happy to hear that you've got it working.)
              Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
              KMc Designs

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                Lieutenant
                • Oct 2013

Kevin,
                I tried it. the result is that the servo rotates only in one direction, to surface, based on my aft planes push rod crank and the ADF2 position. I then reversed it, the result was the servo moved only on the opposite direction. note that the ch 6 knob when rotated either way, the servo responds accordingly.
                I also verified that I turned the knob as far as it will go (end point) during these attempts. I tried all 3 ADF2's I have. I think in the repeated attempts, I think messed up one. it will not go to set up mode anymore. Also, I tried this using two transmitters to isolate the issue. Both transmitters works on the other boat. Not the culprit.
                The key clarification you made is that the ch 6 position after 3 green blinks do not matter. This was the condition I was not sure as the protocol mentioned only once it's position. With this statement, it made it easier to program, altho in this case not resolved.
                I would not even think of swapping it with the one on the working sub, SSGN Harpoon-04. but I am reluctant to do it as it may cause problems. Then two boats will be forced to dry dock.

Comment

• KevinMc
                  Commander
                  • Feb 2009

The fact that you're seeing the same behaviour on multiple ADF2's really suggests to me that it's a setup thing.

Did you reset your zero-bubble position after completing the setup routine?
                  Which Rx are you using?
                  What orientation do you have the ADF2 in when installed in the boat?
                  Can you post some photos of your setup?
                  Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                  KMc Designs

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                    Lieutenant
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by KevinMc
                    The fact that you're seeing the same behaviour on multiple ADF2's really suggests to me that it's a setup thing.

Did you reset your zero-bubble position after completing the setup routine? NO
                    Which Rx are you using? Sombra Labs
                    What orientation do you have the ADF2 in when installed in the boat? lengthwise, connections forward
                    Can you post some photos of your setup?
                    I gave your comments more thoughts. I decided to reverse the positions since I can always change the crank link point. here's what I did:
                    3 green blinks- turned the ch 6 knob counter clockwise to stop (on my system, this will cause the sub to dive). push set up button to solid green. release. left the knob alone which is dive but now will be full rise.
                    4 green blinks- pointed the sub nose down. push set up button to green. release.
                    2 red blinks......
                    I tired the newest ADF2. It worked. And it did not change my crank SERVO input point, still above the axis.
                    Thank you all for your suggestions. Most important is to clarify that the knob(stick) be left alone once turned per instruction. and that the ADF2 is aligned only once.
                    As for the other 2 ADF2's I am not in the mood to play with them now. After two weeks of trying to sort it out, I am tired. I got the sub working again. Very thankful.

Comment

Working...