1/144 U-Boat Type VIIC/41 KNM Kya (ex-U-926)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zhuravlik
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2011

1/144 U-Boat Type VIIC/41 KNM Kya (ex-U-926)

Hi lads,
    since i've gathered enough info about this subject and the kit is about to arrive I can start this WIP.
    I plan to use bayonet joint like Pietro Calvi and use the same diameter for tube (3,2cm electric plumbing tube). That will be stuffed with a 20cc syringe piston with endpoint microswitch, battery, two of those cute orange micro servos, two converted servo boards as ESC and a shultze Alpha 5.40 receiver. As in Pietro Calvi I will use wet coreless motor(s) and that will help to keep the tube short. Hopefully, by keeping sail and deck very light, 15/17cc will be enought. Surely better than a dynamic diver.
    Attached Files
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Nice subject to model! Very interesting (said a German accent)
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
      Nice subject to model! Very interesting (said a German accent)
      Small stuff is right up your alley, Tom.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2011

The kit is arrived but is not the right one... It's 2 mm too narrow.
        I have to ask HWSNBN a question: wich is the kit in this photo?
        Attached Files

Comment

• zhuravlik
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2011

D'oh!
          That's quite a blow.
          It was supposed to be a pet project while I'm seaching for infos about HMS Dreadnought.
          Once again, back to the drawing board!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by zhuravlik
            The kit is arrived but is not the right one... It's 2 mm too narrow.
            I have to ask HWSNBN a question: wich is the kit in this photo?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	93259 It's the same kit I sized the 1.25" SD for -- it will accommodate a 8.5" long SD.

What's giving you grief are the four edges of the servo-box. You have to build up doublers within the box, at the edges, then bevel back the outside edges, and reduce the width of the top and bottom closure plates, getting the servo box to match the diameter of the Lexan portions of cylinder -- then the unit will fit that hull.

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	93260 Click image for larger version

Name:	047.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	93261 Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	93262 And there are smaller servos you can use, that will permit you to house the receiver under them, within the servo box -- a big space saver.

Name:	DSCN0094.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	93263A smaller ESC would help too -- all available from Caswell.

Name:	019 (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	93264 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0183.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	93265

A very small diameter system used to control, manage ballast water, and propel small scale r/c model submarines. Developed to animate 1/144, 1/350, and like ...

M
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-22-2015, 05:58 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Dave,
              The kit you're showing is clearly marked 1/125 not 1/144.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• zhuravlik
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2011

Sorry HWSNBN, I messed up... The photos I've posted are yours, from this thread: http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthread.php?2320-Going-public-with-a-1-25-quot-dynamic-type-Sub-driver&highlight=linear Having downloaded for reference just the first photo, mistook it for a 1/144 and just went ahead!
                That's my kit: http://www.hobbiesguinea.es/7516-123...pe-viic-41.jpg
                Anyway all is not lost: i think i can fit 12,5 cm of 3,2mm styrene tubing by chamfering a bit the extemities. Will be hard but not impossible.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sorry HWSNBN, I messed up... The photos I've posted are yours, from this thread: http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthread.php?2320-Going-public-with-a-1-25-quot-dynamic-type-Sub-driver&highlight=linear Having downloaded for reference just the first photo, mistook it for a 1/144 and just went ahead!
                  That's my kit: http://www.hobbiesguinea.es/7516-123...pe-viic-41.jpg
                  Anyway all is not lost: i think i can fit 12,5 cm of 3,2mm styrene tubing by chamfering a bit the extemities. Will be hard but not impossible.
                  Hey, no sweat. You had me in a panic for a few minutes: had to rush to the shed, dig out the hull and make sure I wasn't lying to you guys when I recommended it for use with our 1.25" SD.

All is not lost, that kit you have looks to be a beauty -- you'll do it justice, no matter what you come up with. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, pal.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
                    Lieutenant
                    • Mar 2011

So I had you in a panic for a few minutes, that's what i wanted to avoid!
                    Anyway I've found a way to stuff 15cm of tube in this sub. I had to chamfer to 1mm depth X 3cm lenght at both extemities but it fits.
                    I also had an idea: to use wtc tube as a cylinder for my piston so that piston will serve both its primary function and will be the forward (mobile) bulkhead.
                    Does it makes sense?
                    Also I've started to mod the central deck filling the shnorchel hole with plasticard and scribing plank seams.
                    I will now focus on control and propulsion before to work on WTC. I must parse some solutions such as single vs double motor, gearbox or direct drive, original props vs handmade and so on
                    Attached Files

Comment

• zhuravlik
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2011

After another search for fabergè eggs photos on the net, looking for some inspiration, I've managed to get a clean stern cut, install 1mm i.d. tubes for prop shafts and prop shafts with coupling for direct drive 6mm coreless motors. The rest of stern fitting will be done after completion of wtc. I've also made wtc "assy" and piston. The latter was turned until smooth but watertight. Made a test piece to verify servo geometry and they work without binding even so tightly packed against the bulkhead. I will use 1mm brass pushrods and to seal them I will use a combination of brassand plastic tubing and those small orings that are used in E-Flite micro helis to keep the fuselage on.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

After another search for fabergè eggs photos on the net, looking for some inspiration, I've managed to get a clean stern cut, install 1mm i.d. tubes for prop shafts and prop shafts with coupling for direct drive 6mm coreless motors. The rest of stern fitting will be done after completion of wtc. I've also made wtc "assy" and piston. The latter was turned until smooth but watertight. Made a test piece to verify servo geometry and they work without binding even so tightly packed against the bulkhead. I will use 1mm brass pushrods and to seal them I will use a combination of brassand plastic tubing and those small orings that are used in E-Flite micro helis to keep the fuselage on.

Name:	002_ygpD00.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	93304 Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	93305 Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	93306 Click image for larger version

Name:	059.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	93307 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0138.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	93308
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
                          Lieutenant
                          • Mar 2011

Yes, I know, it's a shameless copy of your work. Coming from planes I stumbled upon your Cabal reports...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Yes, I know, it's a shameless copy of your work. Coming from planes I stumbled upon your Cabal reports...
                            LOL.

... and I have shamelessly, for decades now, employed the ideas of Asay, Dorey, Perrott, Burge, Myer, Bruggen, Weeks, Copeland, Sharpe, Kachur, Berger, Mason, Stark, Lawrence, Smith, Guenther, Wingrove, Thor, Hart, and so, so many others.

Just passing on what others taught me.

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• zhuravlik
                              Lieutenant
                              • Mar 2011

Well, simply put, I'm not aware about anybody who knows so much about this hobby that has spent so much time to divulgate his knowledge. And Cabal reports are all a novice can ask.
                              I've got some progress to report: finished piston unit complete with endpoint microswitches and pushrod seals installed. Mocked up components with bluetack to represent the possible layout.
                              Still, I'd like to find a cheap, small reversible ESC to use instead of those pesky servo boards.
                              I've eyed those two items:

And this conversion project as well:

What would you choose?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...