Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buellman1
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2013

Trying a little casting. Pulled these from a Vosper kit. I need to do some refining. Air got trapped in the bottom of the mold, but three of them could be used for something.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2013

Finally got my brass balls. If I find time today, I'll bore one out to assemble the pivoting prop shaft. Wasn't sure what size I would need so I ordered 5/16 and 3/8. I'm going to try the 3/8 I think. Found them on eBay from a hit n miss engine shop for under $9.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2013

A bit off topic, but I've been trying this lipo pack from Hobby King. Way better than the nicad pack that came with this JR9303. I used to have to charge before every use. I've only charged this pack twice in the last 7 months! I think it goes for about $12 plus shipping.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2013

Tiny bit of progress fit into my tons of other tasks I need to do.

I got the base formed for the propeller pivot.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
            Lieutenant
            • Mar 2013

It needed a stand. Had some pieces of Walnut sitting around. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	82902
            Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2013

Click image for larger version

Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	84385I'm back. New schedule at work doesn't leave me with much free time these days. I've almost caught up on my house work and trying to get back to building. So, I've spent my evening building this contraption to pivot the propellor shaft. It's still not done obviously, but I think it's turned out fairly decent.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Nice! You'll be amazed at how well the boat handles with the gimbaled propeller.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nice! You'll be amazed at how well the boat handles with the gimbaled propeller.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Nice! Looks well thought out. Itll make more sense to me with more pictures later on.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Buellman1
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks! So it has to be installed yet and I'm debating how I want to control it. I could do the standard one servo for "rudder" and one for "elevator". But thinking of my helicopter and plane mixing combos, I could program Elevon (aileron/elevator) control. That would mean both servos run and I set my contraption diagonally in the hull. I'm also going to try and let the actual rudder pivot free. I don't want any external pushrods unless truly needed.

Dave, I have some questions about the gas system. I appear to have a type 212 driver. Can I put compressed air in the tank for tuning n testing? If so, what's max pressure I can apply? And finally, how many tank blows should a gas system be capable of?
                      Thanks,
                      Gene

Comment

• Buellman1
                        Lieutenant
                        • Mar 2013

Click image for larger version

Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	84387Proposed diangonal install for Elevon control.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

OH, now I see what you are doing. Pretty smart. Should work. Maybe down the road you could install a self centering bearing on your gizmo there.
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Buellman1
                            Thanks! So it has to be installed yet and I'm debating how I want to control it. I could do the standard one servo for "rudder" and one for "elevator". But thinking of my helicopter and plane mixing combos, I could program Elevon (aileron/elevator) control. That would mean both servos run and I set my contraption diagonally in the hull. I'm also going to try and let the actual rudder pivot free. I don't want any external pushrods unless truly needed.

Dave, I have some questions about the gas system. I appear to have a type 212 driver. Can I put compressed air in the tank for tuning n testing? If so, what's max pressure I can apply? And finally, how many tank blows should a gas system be capable of?
                            Thanks,
                            Gene
                            Hey, Gene,

with air at 300 psi you'll store about a half of a cats-fart. With a liquefied gas: about 10 complete blows. And if you charge the sub-system to over 300 PSI of air you'll pop the hose, knock the planet off its current axis, and upset the space-time continuum! Use liquefied gas, damit!

Or are you counting on Obama-Care to pull that copper cap out of your forehead?...

Yes, that's the stock 212 SD -- more ass to that motor, and it's also geared down to swing that Victorian, ugly-ass, axe-blade propeller

Stop over-thinking the control surface linkage (OK, propeller shaft linkage ... Jeez!), helicopter-boy -- install the gizmo in there as I show you, then get on to the 1001 other tasks you need to do before you can get this sucker wet.

Don't get cute: engage the rudder -- this pig needs all the yawing force you can muster! Don't be a slave to scale fidelity.

You do very good work. Proceed!

M
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Buellman1

Thanks,
                              Gene
                              Hey, Gene,

With air at 300 psi you'll store about a half of a cats-fart. With a liquefied gas: about 10 complete blows. And if you charge the sub-system to over 300 PSI of air you'll pop the hose, knock the planet off its current axis, and upset the space-time continuum! Use liquefied gas, damit!

Or are you counting on Obama-Care to pull that copper cap out of your forehead?...

Yes, that's the stock 212 SD -- more ass to that motor, and it's also geared down to swing that Victorian, ugly-ass, axe-blade propeller

Stop over-thinking the control surface linkage (OK, propeller shaft linkage ... Jeez!), helicopter-boy -- install the gizmo in there as I show you, then get on to the 1001 other tasks you need to do before you can get this sucker wet.

Don't get cute: engage the rudder -- this pig needs all the yawing force you can muster! Don't be a slave to scale fidelity.

You do very good work. Proceed!

M
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...