Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	102661Click image for larger version

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	102662It's been awhile and I have several projects in the works all at the same time. Way back when VHS players came out, my father aquired a copy of 20,000 leagues under the sea. I must have watched that movie a hundred times. I was young enough then to think my friend and I would find and salvage the Nautilus from its depths. We spent about a week researching where we would look before we were clued into the fact it was just a story.

I finally aquired my Nautilus. It came via FedEx two days ago in pretty sad shape. Plenty of warpage and broken bits in the box. I'm on two weeks of vacation, so I've spent the last two days repairing and straightening it out. I'm getting close to the point where I think I can build the Type 212 WTC foundation to power this beast.
    Attached Files
  • Buellman1
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2013

The ram I fabricated in brass. Still some tweaking to do, but it'll work out. Click image for larger version

Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	82508
    Attached Files

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

OH, That Looks Good! What, was it damaged in shipment? I have heard that you place your order with "Total Immersions" and a year later you get your boat. Was that your experience? I have also heard that the plastic is quite soft with very little strength. Is that the case?
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Buellman1
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2013

Thanks! I'm going to assume it was damaged in shipment. It was shipped during the latest heat wave and I watched the punks on the FedEx truck toss it to the front of the vehicle before handing it to me. Super thin CA and a heat gun has gotten it back into shape pretty close. I acquired it with the type 212 WTC through a private party, not from Total Immersion.

Yes the resin is flexible yet brittle at the same time. When handling it, it feels like hard rubber at times. I used a heat gun on low to manipulate most of it back into shape. It's close now, but could still use a bit of persuading yet. The heat doesn't seem to affect the details which is nice. And its durable in some respects as I had a flip-flop blowout walking from the garage to the house the other night. I tripped and fell, tossing the entire sub across the driveway. The top four ram scales broke off, but they CA'd back on pretty good. After paint, I don't think anyone will be able to tell.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2013

I'm not going to get too crazy detailed on the interior, but I want to have Nemo at the wheel. Total Immersion calls this a 1/72 scale. So I've gone through several of my 1/72 kits looking for a suitable figure to make him. And for reference, I've found some pretty good disparity in what is considered 1/72 scale figures.
          Attached Files

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

The Disney Nautilus is on my bucket list of subs to build. Like you, it has a special place in my heart because of the movie.
            I also have heard the same statements that Mark has about Total Immersions, but I also heard the details are fantastic. Thank you for posting your build!
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

food for thought:

Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-27-2013, 01:31 PM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2013

Thanks Dave! The linkages and prop are on my list of things to do yet. I've never tried mounting a chuck to my rotary table yet. But I think I might have another option built right into my lathe. There's an indexing pin built into the headstock that I might luck out on in holding my five stops to run the dremel into the hub. As of right now, I have a project in the Bridgeport I don't want to disturb either.

I've also decided against trying to make my own brass ball. I have an assortment coming in the mail for much cheaper than my time. I have plenty of things to keep myself occupied in the mean time.

Comment

• Buellman1
                  Lieutenant
                  • Mar 2013

Looks like I have 60 indexing pin holes. Now to turn the hub and fab a mount for the Dremel.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Neat! .... indexing holes on the face of the bull-gear. Very useful! Old-school machine tools are the best.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2013

Quick n dirty mount of the Dremel. The dial indicator seemed like a good idea but the dremel vibrated the needle loose... I did a test cut further up in the scrap area and decided to dress the cutter smaller to get more depth in the slot.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
                        Lieutenant
                        • Mar 2013

And here it is....
                        my made a stack of seven blades in case the clamps damaged the outer ones.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• alad61
                          Commander
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Buellman1
                          I'm not going to get too crazy detailed on the interior, but I want to have Nemo at the wheel. Total Immersion calls this a 1/72 scale. So I've gone through several of my 1/72 kits looking for a suitable figure to make him. And for reference, I've found some pretty good disparity in what is considered 1/72 scale figures.
                          My understanding is the TI kit is a based on the Brodeen kit with additional detail added to make it look like a truer engineered boat of the era. The resin is often a bit soft/mushy but it can build into a nice model. As for scale I think you'll find that it's oal is meant to be 1/72 , infact it's closer to 1/76. I found ho scale railway figures worked as a good scale
                          Cheers,
                          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• alad61
                            Commander
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Buellman1
                            And here it is....
                            my made a stack of seven blades in case the clamps damaged the outer ones.
                            Neat! I constantly marvel at what you, David, John S, Manfred etc can do it's all ways fun to watch.
                            Cheers,
                            Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                            But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Buellman1
                              Lieutenant
                              • Mar 2013

Thanks Alec!

That's some high praise to be listed along with the Masters! I've done nothing new here, maybe some slight redneck tricks so others won't be intimidated into not trying it themselves.

This was my first prop build and won't be my last. I know where I could have done better. I actually bumped the jig while the solder was molten and burnt my fingers trying to salvage it all back before the solder set. I didn't figure I could wick all the solder back off to reset it all.

I have now gained the confidence to build some props for other projects I would have normally bought of a so-so piece that works.

Comment

Working...