• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buellman1
    Lieutenant
    • Mar 2013

Another Revell Gato build

Hi everyone,
    First time poster and already heavily into my build of the Gato. I'll try to post any new ideas or solutions I can. I have the sub, the fittings kit, DVD set, and the SAS driver. I've read through almost every post I can find on this buildup yet I already have a question. Is there a measurement for the location of the SAS style driver?

Thanks,
    Gene
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Gene,
    Welcome! Love the Gato sub and very glad you have joined us. I will look for some photos, I know David had shown the location on the Gato somewhere.
    Peace,
    tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Buellman1
      Lieutenant
      • Mar 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	77070Just a test to see if I can upload photos from the phone.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Still looking for the photo of the location for the SAS on a Gato..... I am beginning to think I hallucinated it (it is a bear getting old-LOL), it was either a cabal report emailed out or posted here.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Buellman1
          Lieutenant
          • Mar 2013

Thanks Tom, I think I'm going to take a guess from all the pictures and various measurements I've seen of other fittings. I'm at work now, but I think I have over four inches of available forward or aft placement available. Click image for larger version

Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	77087

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Ah, o.k., the cylinder placement. Once you have your prop shafts in, you will create a dog-bone connector that is 3". This will give a nice offset from the Dumas connector on your propellor shaft and the Dumas connector on the sub-driver. That is where the cylinder goes.

Comment

• Buellman1
              Lieutenant
              • Mar 2013

Thanks, my next day off I'll get it mounted.

Comment

• Buellman1
                Lieutenant
                • Mar 2013

Spring came along and stole some time. Also got distracted tinkering with quadcopters. But, the Subdriver is installed and the servos and pushrods are in. Had to get the Kilo somewhat finish before continuing on the Gato. Hope to regain momentum and get the subdriver ready for water testing in a week or two. Click image for larger version

Views:	2
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	77164

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Very nice setup.i can relate to spring stealing your time, silly things like family time at parks, movies, BBQ with friends see to pop up and interfere with sub time. Last yesterday I got a couple of hours to do maintenance on subs getting ready to run them. I so enjoy the Gato, that I look forward to others having the same experience.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

I too have to steal some time to get boats ready for summer fun. But, work first.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
                      Lieutenant
                      • Mar 2013

My simple solution to high amp waterproof power switch. I'm cutting the negative side and jumping it through the deans plug that will be smothered in sealant.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!

What you have there is, what we called in the Navy (and for good reason!), is a suicide-plug.

Other than the load (the devices hooked up between this plug/switch and the battery), you have a straight shot, i.e. short, across the battery!!!

At the very least, use the female plug -- not so easy to inadvertently short/close the circuit.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Buellman1
                          Lieutenant
                          • Mar 2013

I know exactly what your talking about David, but this is not the case. If something strikes or lands on the protruding prongs, it'll simply turn the sub driver on. There's no possible way for this to short.
                          On to leak testing.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Buellman1
                            Lieutenant
                            • Mar 2013

Made huge progress in the last two days. Did some trial runs in the pond. Have a few bugs to work out and then I'll put a finish on it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, then. Look for 'green rot' on the positive side of your 'switch'.

Looking good so far. Tell us about how the boat ran. Looks like you have designed waterline there. Have you successfully trimmed the thing for operating underwater yet?

Keep those pictures coming.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...