• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cconeill
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Dec 2010

UB88

Hi Dave
    I am struggleing with the tube bulges. you have any idea of what I can use to shape them better. thanks Craig
    Attached Files
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Most boats that have a torpedo nest at the bow or stern feature tubes (things changed with the variants of the Type-21 and TULLIBEE, but lets not get bogged down in that yet) bore-sighted to be parallel with the vertical plane of the boats centerline. Unless you build your tubes as a nest you will have alignment problems between them and the boats longitudinal axis -- things will quickly go askew!

As the bulges are cylindrical, pick a size tube (ABS, acrylic, Lexan, brass ... I don't care!) equal to the bulge diameter and make a short length nest of the four tubes (your example here), cut out a big ugly square hole in the bow to fit them, plant them in there, and go to town with the Bondo!

An alternative is to make an external alignment jig like I did when I worked out the geometry of the GATO shutter doors.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
      Commander
      • May 2009

If they are about the size of half inch pvc pipe make an external jig out of L's, T's and pipe
      to align your tubes. Caulk the tubes into the hull then remove the extra fittings when dry
      leaving aligned tubes. Then spackle around them to fair them in to make your mold. See
      the sketch below the u-shape at the lower edge show the end view of the assembled tubes and
      fittings. Just an idea.

Scott T
      Click image for larger version

Name:	torp tube fixture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	75779
      Attached Files

Comment

• cconeill
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Dec 2010

Hi Guys
        Thanks for the input. I had hoped not to have to hack away at the hull. but thats the way it goes sometime. WHERE is my dremel tool:))))) more to come shortly. Craig

Comment

Working...