X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

HWSNBN... As requested

Here you go David. I agree that this is by far the best resin kit I have done. I would love to add one to my rc fleet but sadly the whole gimble prop mechanics is for me somewhat daunting. so it remains a a dream at present. Ideally I would love a 40 plus inch version now that would be sweet. The little video I did before it was installed in the sub. I'll be honest and admit it's not 100% screen/plan accurate and I used some artistic license to get some of the perspective there when its seen through the windows. I managed to get a copy of the original blue prints which helped me out beyond what words can say. But I still had to be a bit creative to get it to work in the hull. Actually I,m impressed by how much of it can be seen through the salon windows and when the interior lights are on well it's just beautiful with the added bonus of the distortion created by the windows helping to disguise some of the rougher bits...:wink: From memory I think the writing desk along with a couple of picture frames are the only things not altered, scratch built or rebuilt by me during the process...

Just click the picture to play the video

I even decked out the wheelhouse with some additions such as crew, stair well rials, the technical manuals that can be seen above ech side of the chart table. I used f/optics to light the dials and the atomic clock even blinks!!!I also added gate valve wheels on the respective piping.
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

• trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

That is some seriously cool work! You got skills Alec.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Alec,

You know, when someone like me, with God like skills, has assumed the lofty perch of 'expert', it's all to easy, when encountering a newbee to my field of expertise (r/c submarines), to dismiss him as just another poor know-nothing, shlub who want's to get his Moebius SEAVIEW working as an r/c model -- not realizing (how could I?) his previous experiences and accomplishments. You, sir, are a freak'n TALENT! You know that. And when first faced with my fat-head BS (that comes with almost all constructive comment), you didn't so much as blink. Classy!

Your detail work on the Brodeen NAUTILUS interior points to the hidden background and accomplishments of a new poster to the Sub-driver form. You initially showed up here with straight-forward questions and a most reasonable attitude about the subject at hand, how to get your SEAVIEW working. I, and others here spoon fed you the required info. I was impressed with your progress and eventual completion of the task. You took the underlying talking-down in stride and kept things on point; you had a mission, and you did what it took to get the info needed to complete the task. We were all glad to help and grateful that you hung around to share your insights. We're peer's now.

But, this NAUTILUS work of yours ... Wow! There's a whole other Alec out there I had no idea about. This is Tom Sherman-Bob Martin quality work. And your stills and video are striking demonstrations of your related (to the field) skills. What other neat model building projects you have not shared with us, pal? Me student. You teacher.

(Alec, I have produced a standard set of linkages and mechanisms to gimbal the Brodeen NAUTILUS propeller. I would be delighted to send you a set should you want to r/c one of Scott's little marvels).

And the rest of you bums out there: I'm sure a fair fraction of you also have such accomplishments behind you. Let's see 'em.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Beautiful work! I love your attention to detail. As they say... The devil's in the details!

Wonderful!

Bob

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

Thank you all and I mean that very sincerely.BLUSHER

David I am truly honored that you would consider me a 'peer'. Maybe one day when I can design, cast and build as you do then I would see myself in that place. Til then I am happy to be an apprentice in your arena.

I may have 'skills' as you say but compared to the likes of David, Manfred, Mark, Al, Bob Martin etc and yes even you Tom, I often see what you blokes do, have done and create and I get my feet planted firmly on the ground with a dose of reality as to my skill, desires and abilities and is even more so when I look at other modelers work at shows, expos, and on other forums. But that is what so great about the hobby of model making and its associated fields in that I am always challenged. About 5-6 years back I did one of the little polar lights Seaview models and said to Sandy my wife how cool it would look if it had a light behind the window and forward spot light. In that pragmatic wifely tone she simple said do it and see. So I did and it was like that moment in the original Total Recall when Quato holding Quades hands said "open your mind" Now she looks at my 'man cave and the small collection of in the box yet to start kits, the couple of stalled projects and my current skipjack project and says in that exasperated wifely tone "what and where are you going to put all those when you do them?" My usual 'brave' response is "don't worry it's all good." Then I remember she is Sicilian...:biggrin:
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

LOL - Alec, our wives should compare notes, or wait, maybe they already have (probably some secret forum where they conspire). The beauty of this forum is we all inspire one another. In the faux pas and in the successes we learn. David's heart is to share and he expects us to do the same. I was reading an article David wrote from the early 90's and he said (I am paraphrasing - probably butchering it too) he strongly dislikes those that build and keep ideas and techniques a secret, but he likes those that have a desire to share, teach and benefit the community. I believe you are one of those that has a like mind to share.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

OK, enough of this ****. If this keeps up we'll soon be swapping DNA!............
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

eeeewwwww! Just because we share complements does not mean we will be sharing long showers together, but David, you are right. Back to work!

Comment

Working...