Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

I pulled the tape off this morning. Ill need to get a washcloth and some soap to remove some of the tape residue. Ive been experimenting with different spray clears. Ive pretty much decided to go with clear satin to dampen the gloss. Clear Matte is too extreme. As soon as the paint is dry enough to work with, Ill be taping off the hatches and spraying them with Orange that the clear will reduce down to international orange or thereabouts.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Looks really good Mark! Are you happy with the results of the new paint?
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

So far , so good trout. As you know the paint was never the problem,..........it was the "Blankety....Blank#*<":@^** body filler or something that kept bubbling up until my disgust was high enough to "Banish" the sub from my sight to a "Penal" colony, until I could stand to look at it again. Ive NEVER had such problems before. At anyrate......Ill see if I can muddle thru the rest of it.
        Last edited by greenman407; 10-27-2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by trout
          Looks really good Mark! Are you happy with the results of the new paint?
          OH! Your probably refering to my Gripes about failed clear coat application. Dont Worry. I still have the oppurtunity to ruin this paint job as well. Clear coat is yet to come.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

The Escape Buoy hatches were not the easiest part of this paint job for sure. I got a hold of some 1/16" masking tape and started forming it around the perimeter of the hatches. After numerous attempts, I developed a technique that worked out pretty well. Then I went back over them with a floss thingy end and burnished the tape down better. I selected the smallest airbrush tip that I had, sprayed out some Orange paint into a cup. Then I transferred that to the airbrush. It didn't take long.
            The next day I removed the tape. Came out pretty well. As far as the Main Ballast Tank vents were concerned, Dave had suggested using some metal foil for modelers. I ordered it but after about 15 minutes, I ran out of patience.......I'm ashamed to say. I have since resorted to hand painting them. Using a tiny tipped brush, some close vision goggles and holding my breath to give as smooth a stroke as I could muster, I carefully put down some aluminum paint on them. They are drying at the moment. Ill need to go back with some black and touch up a few places but I think that it will be quite acceptable.
            Last edited by greenman407; 09-21-2015, 02:15 PM. Reason: Forgot sumpin

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Escape buoy and circular item masking made easy:

Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	110230

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0527.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	110231Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0523.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	110232Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0561.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	110233Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0562.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	110234Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5738.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	110235Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5704.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	110236Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9603.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	110237Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0045.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	110238Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0096.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	110239

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Yep.......you definitely have it down pat. Too bad you live so Dern far away. I found a new color by Rustoleum. Its called "Anodized Bronze". I like it. Its closer to the color that I am looking for than "Coffee".

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

So today I was able to get some clear Flat on it. Tomorrow Im going to re-attach the snorkle valve, charge the battery and get it in the NEW kiddie pool for a float test. The OLD kiddie pool wasnt deep enough. This one is 10" deep to help me with submerged trim.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I didnt quite make it into the water today but I got a lot done. Sail remounted(took me an hour to find the screws). Snorkle remounted(took an hour to find the screws) Mounted the prop, using two set screws and one of the screws I drilled down into the shaft for good positive engagement. Dont forget the blue locktight.
                    Last edited by greenman407; 10-25-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Looks great Mark. I particularly like the prop colour (please note spell checker - that's the correct way to coloUr - you ****er).

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jul 2012

Looks great
                        US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Very puuurty. Seriously, you have a great looking sub there.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Thanks Gents..................and I use the term...............loosely. LOL! Not only is it Puuurty TOM, its also got a whole lot more Horse Power. I put quite a bit more weight in the bottom and corresponding foam in the top to compensate, trying to keep torque roll manageable. Gotta ease into the throttle on this one.
                            Last edited by greenman407; 10-26-2015, 07:01 PM. Reason: Forgot sumpin

Comment

• HardRock
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Mar 2013

You are total rev-head Mark (NB: Rev-head. Australian term of endearment used to describe one whose head is full of high speed stuff).

Comment

• Bubblehead
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Jan 2014

I'm just getting started with the Skipjack in 1/72 scale. I've never made an rc sub though I did sail on a real boomer. I'm only going to use the basic operational kit, no ballast tanks or torpedoes, should I paint the model before or after completion, and are the holes in the bow still needed?

Comment

Working...