Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
    Ebay for $275! Notice only one company carries this colour...
    Where the hell is your authority to paint that subject BLUE!!!!!!!! ......

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

Hope you did not misunderstand me.
      That was a jab at how WRONG that is....
      I'll drink to THAT!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hope you did not misunderstand me.
        That was a jab at how WRONG that is....
        I'll drink to THAT!
        Whew! Glad we got that cleared up.

Guess I better get on the phone to call off that Cambodian assassination team I directed to your house earlier this morning.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Okay.....Why do Fantasy submarines All have to be Gray? :confused:
          What's Wrong with a little Festive Variety Color sometime? I'll drink to THAT!
          I realize that color makes it look like a Toy, but is that so bad, for havin' Fun?
          I've noticed that many guys take their creations too seriously and don't 'Have Fun' with them.
          Last edited by toppack; 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM.
          Rick L.
          --------------------------------------------
          * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
          Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
            Okay.....Why do Fantasy submarines All have to be Gray? :confused:
            'Cos if they are gold or blue, they look more like Bass lures!
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• junglelord
              Banned
              • Jan 2009

The r/c Moebius SEAVIEW ran great and
              responded to rudder surprisingly well. Depth control was assured by the inclusion of a set of fixed vanes in the nozzles of
              the two propulsion tubes -- the vanes produce a constant 'pitch up' force needed to counter the 'pitch-down' force
              created by the shovel shaped bow. David Welsh (the only other guy there at the event with an r/c version of the Moebius
              SEAVIEW) did not incorporate the vanes on his SEAVIEW and as a consequence his boat kept diving to the bottom at an
              extreme down-angle each time he attempted to change from surfaced to submerged trim. Lesson learned.

Well doing late night research, burning the midnight oil, I found David Welsh and his RC conversion thread. I do like his pumpjet. I was also interested in being able to open up the model without cutting it. He used the center hull (front/back) seam that is already part of the model. I see that you do not have to cut into the manta fins if you do not desire. His had fixed dive planes on the tower as well.

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...t=7442&start=0
              http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...hlight=seaview
              http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...t=7973&start=0

Nice alternative at making this thing RC.
              I would rather not make a cut in the manta fins.
              If it was not much difference in performance, maybe I will not add that feature.
              I do want working dive planes on the Tower.
              I hope that the when I cut, I cut properly.....

I wish that Mobius had made the superstructure seperate like Dave Marriman did.

Last edited by junglelord; 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Well doing late night research, burning the midnight oil, I found David Welsh and his RC conversion thread. I do like his pumpjet. I was also interested in being able to open up the model without cutting it. He used the center hull (front/back) seam that is already part of the model. I see that you do not have to cut into the manta fins if you do not desire. His had fixed dive planes on the tower as well.

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...t=7442&start=0
                http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpB...hlight=seaview

Nice alternative at making this thing RC.
                I would rather not make a cut in the manta fins.
                If it was not much difference in performance, maybe I will not add that feature.
                I do want working dive planes on the Tower.
                I hope that the when I cut, I cut properly.....

I wish that Mobius had made the superstructure seperate like Dave Marriman did.

Yeah, build it with the Welsh internals. And get back to us with how well that model behaves underwater.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009

No, I have no intention of building it as Dave Welsh.
                  I am building your version.
                  I am not keen on cutting the manta fins.
                  I am wondering how it might decrease respond without those?
                  Will the fixed vanes be enough to compensate along with ADF for the downward motion?
                  So I can use the Hull Dive Planes as the main control, like yourself?

For the record, I believe in Grey SeaViews with Snort.
                  I'll drink to THAT!

I did like his pump drive. I like the intakes cut below the sub on the keel. Just looking though.

Funny...when I first saw one of his, it said by BigDave, I automatically assumed that meant you Mr. Merriman.
                  Being a newbie, I thought only you could be the BigDave of subs....especially SeaViews.
                  Last edited by junglelord; 01-26-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

No, I have no intention of building it as Dave Welsh.
                    I am building your version.
                    I am not keen on cutting the manta fins.
                    I am wondering how it might decrease respond without those?
                    Will the fixed vanes be enough to compensate along with ADF for the downward motion?
                    So I can use the Hull Dive Planes as the main control, like yourself?

For the record, I believe in Grey SeaViews with Snort.
                    I'll drink to THAT!

I did like his pump drive. I like the intakes cut below the sub on the keel. Just looking though.

Funny...when I first saw one of his, it said by BigDave, I automatically assumed that meant you Mr. Merriman.
                    Being a newbie, I thought only you could be the BigDave of subs....especially SeaViews.
                    Just read the above as I poised a pin, aimed at the groin area of your Voodoo likeness. Stopped just in time as I continued to read and came to the realization that you were confusing me with Mr. Welsh. Boy! .... that was close. Never let this happen again!

I couple the bow planes and stern planes of the SEAVIEW to work in concert -- their only job to stabilize the boat about the pitch axis. The bow and stern planes are not for depth control, though that can be done. You are better served using the sail planes for depth control and to let Kevin's smart little ADF take care of stabilizing the boat. But, you can use the bow and stern planes for gross depth control through dynamic planing of the hull, but at a cost in slow response and the need to think way ahead of the boat -- a sweat inducing practice.

Just build the damn thing as I tell ya, and stop making rocket science out of this!

(Oh ... and a very neat trick you did introducing that Wal-Mart SEAWOLF to the Polar Lights 13" SEAVIEW kit. Neat).

The SEAVIEW is the only boat I recommend coupling the stern and bow planes, as most designs have the 'bow planes' too closely coupled to the boats center of gravity to make them useful as a pitch inducing set of control surfaces. What makes the SEAVIEW so remarkable in this instance is that this design has the bow planes at the extreme front of the vehicle, resulting in a reasonably long moment arm.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

Funny your both named Dave and love to convert Seaviews.
                      My name is Dean, maybe its just the D's

:p

I am so stoked. You liked my little Seaview and did not chew me out too much for the Gold one....me thinks Dave might like me....
                      I'll drink to THAT!

but if I am not careful he has a doll with my likness and voodoo pins ready...the task master has spoken.
                      Crack That WHip

I couple the bow planes and stern planes of the SEAVIEW to work in concert -- their only job to stabilize the boat about the pitch axis. The bow and stern planes are not for depth control, though that can be done. You are better served using the sail planes for depth control and to let Kevin's smart little ADF take care of stabilizing the boat.
                      Exactly my point. The ADF and the sail planes along with the stern planes and a fixed vane would allow almost exactly the same response without the bow manta fins being cut...trying to make it less rocket science.
                      Less cutting. I am do trust you 1000%....its my cutting and puddy skills I doubt. So those manta fins...they are not a must correct?

I saw, maybe it was Dave Welch or someone with one of Ricks SeaViews, that had stern planes cut from the rear nicelles. Seemed like a good option as opposed to the manta fin cutting detail. Again I am just going over the possiblites in my head.

Your R&D is beyond question. I just enjoy the mental activity of thinking the project through and doing my homework to see what success others have had with the kit. How difficult is the conversion. How many other ways can you skin the cat...

I know that Dave Welch supports your SeaView Conversion via Mike Caswell. So everyone bow down to the King.

Looking at the creative attempt by Dave Welch, I was amazed at how much extra stuff he was R&Ding.
                      I thought it was way over the top and not practicle. What happened to KISS?

I did find the RCABS version by Steve Neill that was in video format on another site that I thought, must be you. It was last night while searching I realized from you sub regatta cabal report that there was another Dave doing conversion kits for subs. I thought the RCABS to be better then what Dave did originally with his RD attempts.
                      Steve Neill builds a Big Dave Seaview

I do have a RCABS pump....*taunting Dave to pierce his voodoo doll*
                      Just joking...LOL

I have toyed with another way...and its not rocket science it is pure KISS. My Robbe SeaWolf had a static conversion that is a simple 2 way water pump, tubing, bladderbag, two fish tank aquarium valves, which I think is pure simplicity.
                      Just joking...LOL

I have toyed with another way...and its not rocket science it is pure KISS. My Robbe SeaWolf had a static conversion that is a simple 2 way water pump, tubing, bladderbag, two fish tank aquarium valves, which I think is pure simplicity.

That would work well in the center flood chamber of a SeaView if it was made watertight. The sub would be trimmed to float. The sub would sink with water in the bag, which is let out of the bag as you wish to surface or patrol periscope depth. Its very simple, elegant and total KISS as well as what real subs actually do, just like a Snort is real.

The water pump and bladder is more viable and actually more realistic then RCABS. After all the whole idea of Snort is that it is real....holding and releasing water via a bladder bag aka ballast tank, is quite sub-like.

Cheers Mr Merrian.
                      Dean
                      Last edited by Kazzer; 01-26-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2008

If you really want to make it alot easier on yourself and learn a metric ass ton about professional model building, buy david Meriman's DVD on the boat. You will learn some very cool tricks and tips.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Funny your both named Dave and love to convert Seaviews.
                          My name is Dean, maybe its just the D's

I am so stoked. You liked my little Seaview and did not chew me out too much for the Gold one....me thinks Dave might like me....
                          I'll drink to THAT!

but if I am not careful he has a doll with my likness and voodoo pins ready...the task master has spoken.
                          Crack That WHip

Exactly my point. The ADF and the sail planes along with the stern planes and a fixed vane would allow almost exactly the same response without the bow manta fins being cut...trying to make it less rocket science.
                          Less cutting. I am do trust you 1000%....its my cutting and puddy skills I doubt. So those manta fins...they are not a must correct?

I saw, maybe it was Dave Welch or someone with one of Ricks SeaViews, that had stern planes cut from the rear nicelles. Seemed like a good option as opposed to the manta fin cutting detail. Again I am just going over the possiblites in my head.

Your R&D is beyond question. I just enjoy the mental activity of thinking the project through and doing my homework to see what success others have had with the kit. How difficult is the conversion. How many other ways can you skin the cat...

I know that Dave Welch supports your SeaView Conversion via Mike Caswell. So everyone bow down to the King.

Looking at the creative attempt by Dave Welch, I was amazed at how much extra stuff he was R&Ding.
                          I thought it was way over the top and not practicle. What happened to KISS?

I did find the RCABS version by Steve Neill that was in video format on another site that I thought, must be you. It was last night while searching I realized from you sub regatta cabal report that there was another Dave doing conversion kits for subs. I thought the RCABS to be better then what Dave did originally with his RD attempts.
                          Steve Neill builds a Big Dave Seaview

Just joking...LOL

I have toyed with another way...and its not rocket science it is pure KISS. My Robbe SeaWolf had a static conversion that is a simple water pump, tubing, bladderbag, which I think is pure simplicity.

That would work well in the center flood chamber of a SeaView if it was made watertight. The sub would be trimmed to float. The sub would sink with water in the bag, which is let out of the bag as you wish to surface or patrol periscope depth. Its very simple, elegant and total KISS as well as what real subs actually do, just like a Snort is real.

The water pump and bladder is more viable and actually more realistic then RCABS. After all the whole idea of Snort is that it is real....holding and releasing water via a bladder bag aka ballast tank, is quite sub-like.

Cheers Mr Merrian.
                          Dean

*sigh* ...

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009

That comes with the conversion kit which I will be buying.
                            Or is there another video, that your speaking of..if so, yes I want it.

Not to fear David, I am on a pension, I must use my mind for something, even if its daydreaming.
                            But when it comes down to it, your conversion and Caswell is my hook-up.
                            I am not promoting any other method. Just talking shop.
                            I tell everyone that it is your kit alone that is the go to kit.

Now step slowly back from the voodoo doll...I want two kits please.
                            Last edited by junglelord; 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2008

you like to dance a fine line with david. Your lucky he hasnt stuck you with the links youve been posting ..

Comment

• junglelord
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2009

I am so sorry. If those links are not proper for this forum as to what not to do, then maybe I should be in trouble. I never considered any other way but Dave and Mike and that will not change. It is the go-to kit for the SeaView and even Dave Welch says that. I think we all agree that a grey snort is the only way to go. I will how ever not post any more links.

I have no trouble with them being withdrawn. I am not trying to make trouble. I am rather praising the fine and superb kit that Dave has so lovingly created for all of us to enjoy. Sometimes a comparison to other attempts will strengthen your resolution that this way is the right way. I am happy to support Dave and Mike with my hard won cash. Being on a pension, it is that much more difficult, but worth it.
                                I'll drink to THAT!

No more questions about this or that. I am ready to make my first of two purchases in about two weeks. That should be enough time to have those fixed vanes ready....
                                LOL.

Grey Snorks unite.
                                I'll drink to THAT!
                                Last edited by junglelord; 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...