• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Seaview Fixed Vaned

Hi Dave.
    I am going to purchases two SD units for the Seaview. I will purchase three Seaviews.
    The comment you made about the designs complications for running trim was to put
    fixed vanes under the movable stern plane. The fixed vane gives a constant up-thrust
    vector, needed to counter the down-pitch force created by the bow and manta-fins --
    a design problem, overcome by the fixed vanes.

What angle are the vanes pitched at?
    Thanks and cheers from Canada eh.
    :D
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
    Hi Dave.
    I am going to purchases two SD units for the Seaview. I will purchase three Seaviews.
    The comment you made about the designs complications for running trim was to put
    fixed vanes under the movable stern plane. The fixed vane gives a constant up-thrust
    vector, needed to counter the down-pitch force created by the bow and manta-fins --
    a design problem, overcome by the fixed vanes.

What angle are the vanes pitched at?
    Thanks and cheers from Canada eh.
    :D

As of last week I started making the two fixed vanes a standard item included in the SEAVIEW fittings kit -- if you purchased a fittings kit without them, send me your mailing address and I'll get a pair of them off to you.

As they are designed, they assume the correct angle in the propulsion tube when you set them in there -- just glue them in with RTV adhesive and you're good to go.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

No, I have only order the first Seaview. I got the first one in town at the local comic and hobby shop which my good friend owns. If I make a practice run, I can make this one for show and correct any mistakes with the first fit before I go on to the two RC models....or if it fits together like I see, then this one will be converted up front. My buddy owns the store, but he can only get one and it was ordered last week, so I should have it in a few days.

The only change I could see to the model is the upper hull that we cut to convert so we can install the SD, should have been a seperate piece like you end up making it. Other then cutting that and the front dive planes on the manta fins, I think my nerves will hold out. When you scribe those Dave I imagine that is well explained on the video DVD. I have read anything and everything on the web. The Seaview cabel I have read twice....I am ready to begin the first model with RC Conversion in mind the whole time.

The other two I am getting from the Caswell company and its good I am just asking these questions and my timing seems to be perfect. By the time I get things going the snork blower will be on the web page and the fixed vanes willl be all compete and its a one stop shop when you purchase the conversion kit, fittings, and ADF pitch Controller, transmitter and receiver, all from Caswell, how cool is that?
      :cool:

Thanks so much Dave for making it a pleasure to make a dream come true and it looks like a simple one at that. Thanks for such a fast reply, Wow, you know David, both you and Caswell are right up there on the costumer service which is really really nice.
      :D:D:D

I am building one for my granddaughter who is four this year. I hope she grows to love the hobby as much as I do. She slept over last week and we had a blast with a minisub in the sink with the lights out...she loved it.
      Last edited by junglelord; 01-24-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
        As of last week I started making the two fixed vanes a standard item included in the SEAVIEW fittings kit -- if you purchased a fittings kit without them, send me your mailing address and I'll get a pair of them off to you.

David,

So, I need to update the fittings kit photo?
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer

Yup.

I'll get to that this week, Mike.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kazzer
            All right, my question is part of the development of the process between Dave and Mike,

Its cool to know that due to Dave's knowledge of the SeaViews inherit design parameters and corrective approach that all the tweaks are all ready figured out and also in the fittings kit.

PS, Dave, I enjoyed reading about your time at the SubRegatta where I got that information....
            Cheers.

I look forward to making my first Conversion kit order real soon Mike and thanks for the emails about the blower and ADF Pitch Controller.
            Dean

Now about having Moebius make the upper hull and cadillac fins one unit and seperate...LOL.

You would have a model fit for any beginner and already set up to go RC or Display...what do you think? Good idea in hindsight but to hard to refit at Moebius in future runs? I am nervous to cut...but I will be like a surgeon, cutting for the very first time...LOL.
            Last edited by junglelord; 01-24-2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Jungelord,

A GOLD SEAVIEW?! ... What the hell were you thinking???

Anyway, nice work on that and the ugly dynamic diver -- that answers my as of yet unasked question: do you have any practical r/c vehicle experience. Obviously you do. Good.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• junglelord
                Banned
                • Jan 2009

Hi David.
                That was my first putty job on a model.
                The Resin cast from ebay was worked over with JB Weld.
                I had never spray painted before so I took a run at that.
                I spray painted it with the only paint I had, Gold.
                :)

That gave me an idea of how good or bad my puddy skills were....which was not bad for the first time...so I took the sand paper and went to work. I repainted it and it looks much better this time. This will give me some puddy experience for the Mobius. I am going to use the materials laid out by yourself. JB Weld was all I had on hand and read that with the resin I could use it for model puddy and it did work great.

I am going to repaint my Robbe SeaWolf and the Resin SeaView.
                They will get the proper paint soon. Its still freeze up here till April.
                I will not take them out till May. So I got some time to kill but do not want to rush it.

I have RC experience with electric airplanes and the Robbe SeaWolf (current dynamic, soon to be static SNORT)

My Snort SeaView side by side will be a blast.
                I'll drink to THAT!

Last edited by junglelord; 01-24-2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

Hey, I like the Gold! ;) Almost makes it look like it was machined from a solid block of Brass. :eek:
                  It would certainly be the only one like it at the Lake. :D
                  Rick L.
                  --------------------------------------------
                  * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                  Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• junglelord
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

My friend told me that last night. He also said my imperfections on the JB Weld putty looked like welding anyway, so that the end effect was good to his eyes. I have to say Gold is my favorite colour. I am making two RC SeaView versions, so one could be Gold. I will leave the SeaWolf Gold for now but I do like the Traditional Look. A member on another site said the Walmart Grey Primer was perfect for the SeaView in a spray can. At least we all know its not blue.

Comment

• Aug 2008

So, you're a veteran of the 'blue war' over at HobbyTalk too? What a bunch of idiot, arm-chair experts! Only three completed builds over there, but tens of authorities on the subject. A waste of band-width.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

I have to say Gold is my favorite colour. I am making two RC SeaView versions, so one could be Gold.
                        Yep, All submarines Don't Have to be Gray or Black.
                        Nothing wrong will a little Variety to make it Interesting. :)
                        Last edited by toppack; 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM.
                        Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Nov 2008

I won't be Painting any of mine Pink with yellow-pokadots, tho. :D LOL :D
                          Rick L.

Comment

• junglelord
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009

So, you're a veteran of the 'blue war' over at HobbyTalk too? What a bunch of idiot, arm-chair experts! Only three completed builds over there, but tens of authorities on the subject. A waste of band-width.

David,
                            A picture is worth a thousand words....

A month from now, there will be a picture of me with one of these....

Thanks only to you and Mike Caswell and Moebius...and the eternal Voyage.
                            Last edited by junglelord; 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• junglelord
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

David,
                              Ebay for $275! Notice only one company carries this colour...
                              This is a fully detailed and painted Moebius 39" Seaview replica pained in a beautiful "Powder Blue" color. Only one company I could find had this gorgeous color "American Accents".

Last edited by junglelord; 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Working...