X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeep4grog
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

The Metcalf P Class Re-Build

Since the Subdriver is on it’s way. I guess it’s time to start the build thread…

I started this last year just before my stroke and wasn’t all that successful in building the do it yourself WTC as I wished. So, after listening to some sound advice from a friend in the Cleveland Boat Club, I ordered Dave’s masterpiece Sub-Driver.

I looked into the Gato kit for the bow plane riser, but the Brits do it different (see Pic). I want to try an match that look and function.

I have some damaged wash needles from a Bosch Ampoule washer from work. I think they look a lot like the original snorkel mast on the p class boats. It is hollow and 316L-SS so should last a long time. I will use the pump I already have. It’s a Gast, 10DC diaphragm pump and should work well for the snort. Pics here too.

I have a Robbe F-14 Navy controller so I think I have enough channels to do all I want…
    Attached Files
  • jeep4grog
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2009

My Subdriver has arrived, thank you Mr Merriman!!!

Now the work begins...

Comment

• Deep Diver
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2009

r

Originally posted by jeep4grog
      Since the Subdriver is on it’s way. I guess it’s time to start the build thread…

I started this last year just before my stroke and wasn’t all that successful in building the do it yourself WTC as I wished. So, after listening to some sound advice from a friend in the Cleveland Boat Club, I ordered Dave’s masterpiece Sub-Driver.

I looked into the Gato kit for the bow plane riser, but the Brits do it different (see Pic). I want to try an match that look and function.

I have some damaged wash needles from a Bosch Ampoule washer from work. I think they look a lot like the original snorkel mast on the p class boats. It is hollow and 316L-SS so should last a long time. I will use the pump I already have. It’s a Gast, 10DC diaphragm pump and should work well for the snort. Pics here too.

I have a Robbe F-14 Navy controller so I think I have enough channels to do all I want…
      Good Day
      There is a good diaogarm in a book on the "A" class I do think it is called "The Alliance" on the workings of the bow planes, the Sub museum in Gosport U.K may have a copy, or if you e-mail them they may just send you the detail that you require.:)

Comment

• jeep4grog
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jan 2009

I am trying to see if I can fit 2 ESC's, 3 additional servos, an 8 channel receiver, and a SubTech SES-3 switch in the Subdriver. It looks like it will all fit, but it will be tight. I am planning on having independent control of the motors. Once it is all laid out and the wiring figured out, I will take pictures.

I am also working on the shaft struts. I have to pick up some 5/16” brass tubing today to start assembling them. I will solder brass struts to the tube, put oil impregnated brass bushings in the tube to support the shafts and they should look and work like the real thing.

Pictures will added be as soon as all the parts are assembled and the real build begins…

Comment

• jeep4grog
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jan 2009

I am building the shaft struts so while waiting for the epoxy to dry, I was beginning the install of the ESC's and stuff in the Subdriver.

I noticed that there are no capacitors on the motors. Do I need to add them or are they installed in the motors?

Thanks!

Comment

• junglelord
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

I believe that surpressor capacitors are always needed on motors.
            I will let Mr Merriman correct me if thats wrong.
            I was told that anyway.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by junglelord
              I believe that surpressor capacitors are always needed on motors.
              I will let Mr Merriman correct me if thats wrong.
              I was told that anyway.
              Indeed they should. If the gent whe has a SubDriver without them would give me his address I'll get two sets of cap's off to him. Sorry about that.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jeep4grog
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Jan 2009

It's OK Dave I have caps I can install. I just wanted to check first. Some of the newer motors have them installed internally now and I didn’t want to double up.

I finished the shaft struts yesterday. It was a real interesting project...

I tried to solder these together, but couldn't get the solder to stay or flow. That K&S brass wouldn’t let it stick? Acid cleaning and/or sanding the parts didn’t help either. I tried brazing, but that was too hot for the thin brass and it kept collapsing and changing shape, next was some aluminum welding rod, that was a mess too. It wouldn't flow well, so I gave up and used JB Weld and that worked. Leanred a few thrings....

Good thing this stuff comes in 12" lengths. Gave me lots of material to practice with.

These are straight and the shaft rotates freely in it. All I need to do is give them a little grinding to finish them off. I think they will look pretty much like the originals once installed and painted.
                Attached Files

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

Yes they look very much like the originals,
                  Lookin' Good! :)
                  Rick L.
                  --------------------------------------------
                  * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                  Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

When I did my S Class, I just used 1/8" brass rod as the strut, ran a 4BA thread on it (hey it's a British boat) and then drilled a hole into the bearing and tapped that out. No glue, no soldering - tight as a drum!
                    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

It's OK Dave I have caps I can install. I just wanted to check first. Some of the newer motors have them installed internally now and I didn’t want to double up.

I finished the shaft struts yesterday. It was a real interesting project...

I tried to solder these together, but couldn't get the solder to stay or flow. That K&S brass wouldn’t let it stick? Acid cleaning and/or sanding the parts didn’t help either. I tried brazing, but that was too hot for the thin brass and it kept collapsing and changing shape, next was some aluminum welding rod, that was a mess too. It wouldn't flow well, so I gave up and used JB Weld and that worked. Leanred a few thrings....

Good thing this stuff comes in 12" lengths. Gave me lots of material to practice with.

These are straight and the shaft rotates freely in it. All I need to do is give them a little grinding to finish them off. I think they will look pretty much like the originals once installed and painted.
                      Brass and other copper bearing alloys are the easiest to solder. Did you attempt to solder with those Olite bearings in the bearing tube? If so, the oil expanded with the heat and leached out and migrated onto the outside of the tube and contaminated the joint between tube and struts, spoiling the wetting action of the molten solder.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jeep4grog
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Jan 2009

No Mr. Merriman,

I have been working in maintenance long enought to know that!
                        The bearings were not in the tubes when I tried the solder. I think it's whatever that K&S brass was made of. I have some brass shim stock from another project and it can be soldered. Any brass I have from McMaster works fine.

Since I thought I was losing my mind (there isn't much left anyway...) I tried a few other pieces. No problem. I cant get anything to stick to that brass flat stock except the epoxy!?!?

Putting the Subdriver together today. Caps are in, adding the 2 ESC's and wiring.

Comment

• Aug 2008

No Mr. Merriman,

I have been working in maintenance long enought to know that!
                          The bearings were not in the tubes when I tried the solder. I think it's whatever that K&S brass was made of. I have some brass shim stock from another project and it can be soldered. Any brass I have from McMaster works fine.

Since I thought I was losing my mind (there isn't much left anyway...) I tried a few other pieces. No problem. I cant get anything to stick to that brass flat stock except the epoxy!?!?

Putting the Subdriver together today. Caps are in, adding the 2 ESC's and wiring.
                          Sometimes I find myself dealing with idiots. I now have some appreciation for your skill level. That won't happen again.

K&S typically uses 'cartridge brass', I don't know the alloy for sure, but I think the copper and zinc has a bit of manganese in there -- anyway, it solders good. But maybe they sent you some stuff packaged incorrectly?

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• jeep4grog
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Jan 2009

I may never know the answer. I purchased the brass at my local hobby store... and it sheds solder like a duck sheds water!

On to the next subject:
                            I have two sets of props. One the Raboesch (The #157 right and left) and a set from Harbor Models (their model # 1717 right and left). I have pics. The harbor model props are a bit larger and have a more pronounced pitch. Any suggestions on what set to use? It seems the Harbor Model props will give me more push with less speed.

As a side note, the Subdriver is getting busy too...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

I may never know the answer. I purchased the brass at my local hobby store... and it sheds solder like a duck sheds water!

On to the next subject:
                              I have two sets of props. One the Raboesch (The #157 right and left) and a set from Harbor Models (their model # 1717 right and left). I have pics. The harbor model props are a bit larger and have a more pronounced pitch. Any suggestions on what set to use? It seems the Harbor Model props will give me more push with less speed.

As a side note, the Subdriver is getting busy too...

Hell ... I don't know.

Sea-trials will tell the tale as to which set works best.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...