X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

Us fleet boat build - revell gato

Welcome to my world of building a US fleetboat of WWII. I have had the boat for over a year maybe more.
    Of course I want to add all the bells and whistles but have decided to go basic to get something acomplished.
    The Trout (Troutie, Troutster, Troutinator) is giving me encouragement to start and continue this build.
    Attached are some pictures of my slow start.

Marked the numbers on the hull to correspond to the drawings for the floodholes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floodholes 02.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	101779

Cut the drawings along the lines that is numbered to the lines on the bottom of the hull, folded it in halve and taped it in place.
    Took the safety pin and used it to mark the two center points of the elongated floodholes.

Name:	floodholes 03.JPG
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	101780

With the paper folded back you can see the pin prick marks. I used a pin vise with a small drill and made
    pilot holes on these marks. I used a 1/4" pilot point drill bit to follow the pilot holes. Cleaned the holes I
    made with a rat tail file. This works OK but I am still trying to make it easier. I have completed about twelve
    holes on one side.

Name:	floodholes 04.JPG
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	101781

Scott T
    Last edited by Scott T; 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM.
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

Good start. :biggrin: I cheated with mine and used the template Caswell sells.
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Scott,
      Welcome aboard! Glad to see the post and that you have started. I look forward to see your build.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Scott,
        How are the drilling out the flood holes coming along?
        Peace,
        tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...