• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nige1912
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2012

And yet another Gato....!

Hi Guys,
    Well after having been itching to make a start but having had no time over the Titanic centennary events ,(See pic of Wallace Hartley's memorial) things are finally calming down a bit and I actually managed to get a few free hours yesterday to make a start on the Gato.

So far I have glued together the two halves of the hull and assembled the caswell torpedo tube assembly for the bow. And what a fine bit of kit it is too! Im not installing working torps just now - I want to concentrate on just getting the thing finished and on (under!) the water, but I do want to incorporate all the basics that I will need later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	101728Click image for larger version

Name:	042.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	101729Click image for larger version

Name:	043.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	101730

After following some good advice from you guys on here, I invested in some new radio gear - the Futaba FC 16. Im just waiting for a message to get my sub driver paid for and then I can start on that side of things.
    Quick question - what speed controller do folks reccomend for this boat?
    Thanks guys,
    Nige
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The MTronik's Marine-10 or 15 is the recommended ESC.

Do you have r/c experience?

And You'll need the Sombra SL-8 receiver, it's very selective and will fit the tight confines of the SD.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nige1912
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Apr 2012

Hi David,
      Thanks for the message. I've a little rc experience - but most of my knowledge is about 15 years out of date!!
      Is the Sombra SL-8 that you mentioned compatable with the Futaba FC 16 transmitter and also on the 40meg frequency that we use over here in jolly old england?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Glad you mentioned the band. No, the SL-8 is suitable only for the 72-75mHz bands. You'll have to shoe-horn whatever you can into that SD. Check with Andy on the best little receiver over there in the Home Country for the bands available to you.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nige1912
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Apr 2012

Cheers David.
          Am just about to order the SD from Mike at Caswell, so I'll wait and see if the Futaba reciever can be worked in there. It is pretty small but I know space is very tight in there, so will wait until I can trial fit it.

Comment

• Nige1912
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Apr 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendle-20120506-00016.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	67424Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendle-20120506-00017.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	67425Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendle-20120506-00019.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	67426Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendle-20120506-00020.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	67427Click image for larger version

Name:	Pendle-20120506-00021.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	67428

Some progress pictures to date. I have fitted the bow planes retract mechanism which seems to be working fine when tested by hand. The Torpedo tube doors have been cut out and the parts installed ready for working torps at a later date. The top of the hull has been cut out following the cabal reports by Mike. I have just today ordered the SD from Mike, so am now waiting for that to arrive before I do anything else. I have also ordered the Corona reciever mentioned on here just waiting for that to arrive.
            I have also started on the paint job since these pictures were taken,(Sorry Mike!! Had to do something while Im waiting for the various parts to arrive!! Lol) but again picking up on advice given here I have refrained from completing too much of the detail in readiness for all the handling the model will be recieving while trials etc take place.
            Watch this space!
            Last edited by Nige1912; 05-12-2012, 05:05 AM.

Comment

• Nige1912
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Apr 2012

AMAZING!
              Only one hour after ordering the SD from Caswell I recieve the UPS tracking number and a message through paypal that the item has been despatched!!! Bloody well done guys!!!:wink:

Comment

• Nige1912
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Apr 2012

Hi guys,
                was just looking at the lithium polymer batteries on the caswell site. Can someone please advise on which type is reccomended for the gato sd?
                Cheers fellas,
                Nige

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Cheers Nige,
                  The Gato runs on 11.1V
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Nige1912
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by trout
                    Cheers Nige,
                    The Gato runs on 11.1V

Cheers for that. Is there a specific shape or model of battery that will fit the Gato SD?

Comment

• Aug 2008

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Nige1912
                        Cheers for that. Is there a specific shape or model of battery that will fit the Gato SD?
                        Caswell sells one (see David's link posted earlier) and they work great (i have two). If you want to go for longer runs, you can go bigger. You are limited by the space in the battery compartment. I had to shorten my wtc due to not bringing in my prop shafts properly and so I can not go bigger than 100mm. Caswell sells a 11.1v 1300Mah battery and is around 70mm (not being exact) and it works well for me.
                        Last edited by trout; 05-13-2012, 02:50 AM.
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Nige1912
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Apr 2012

Hi everyone,
                          Just when I was beginning to get worried that my dive module had gone astray, I get a letter from UK Customs and Excise department stating that my dive module has been impounded and I need to pay an extra £69.00 to have it delivered!!!!
                          GOD I AM SO BLOODY MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Aug 2008

What!? ... why was it impounded? And why do they want all that money for the privilege of delivering it to you?!

What they've done, your postal system (unless there is something going on with your version of 'home-land Security'), is total bull-****!

David,
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nige1912
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Apr 2012

Hi David,
                              Apparently its to do with the stated value of the item on the customs paperwork. Any packages coming into the UK over a set value attract a special "Import tax" (Bear this in mind for any future exports to the UK!!!)

I dont think its anything to do with security issues - it's just yet another way the greedy C**K S*****G B******S at Westminister have come up with to extract yet more money out of joe public.

I have 20 days to decide to pay up (Something which on principal I am loathe to do) or the parcel gets returned to you.

The only way you can get round it is to fill in the paperwork with an extremely low value - something under $50 and lable it as a "Gift".

Dont know what to do yet - im too bloody annoyed and angry to thin kstraight just now.......

Comment

Working...