SSN21 - 1/72 Seawolf

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Neat! Is this the two or single-motor motor bulkhead?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Single David.
      Found double in earlier tests in other boats was overkill.

J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

John,
        very nice indeed! you need some torpedoes to take those pool hog Russian subs out with. :-)
        Peace,
        Tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          John,
          very nice indeed! you need some torpedoes to take those pool hog Russian subs out with. :-)
          Peace,
          Tom
          Thanks Tom.
          I have torps but decided just to go with the basics of getting this boat running for now. Can fit them later with ease as I installed guide tubes in the bow behind styrene removable tabs which are fashioned in the size and shape of the outer doors. I can simply slide in the torpedo tubes that telescope fit the guide tubes.

Best
          J
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Excellent presentation, John. I agree, very few (if any) applications for the monstrously high-torque of the two-motor bulkhead. Overkill.

Keep those videos coming in. Wonderful stuff. Any news on the 'anti-torpedo' idiot front?

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ADDINGTON
              Lieutenant
              • Sep 2008

Those video clips are terriffic and educational. Excellent image quality.The effort to capture and post is much appreciated.
              Seeing where in the dive evolution those final underdeck air bubbles emerge is great stuff. Are there any external-view clips of your boat?
              This 'anti-torp' thing sounds entertaining?
              -Kerry

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Excellent presentation, John. I agree, very few (if any) applications for the monstrously high-torque of the two-motor bulkhead. Overkill.

Keep those videos coming in. Wonderful stuff. Any news on the 'anti-torpedo' idiot front?

David

Thanks David

oh and great news on the Torpedo front -
                -First they're still banned by Task Force 72
                Second - liberating knowing that I need not sail with them to participate in the hobby.
                My local dam's manager has approved of my activities, and the other boat club I joined cover me and them via insurance. What was too hard for one group is so easy for another.

J
                Last edited by Slats; 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM.
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ADDINGTON
                  Those video clips are terriffic and educational. Excellent image quality.The effort to capture and post is much appreciated.
                  Seeing where in the dive evolution those final underdeck air bubbles emerge is great stuff. Are there any external-view clips of your boat?
                  This 'anti-torp' thing sounds entertaining?
                  -Kerry
                  Thanks Kerry.
                  There might be external video coming in the official regatta DVD. I look out for it.
                  Last edited by Slats; 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM. Reason: added seasoning
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

A few years ago our local r/c model boating group suffered at the hands of just such an officious, pompous, self-promoting ass (no!.... it was not me ... not this time). His divisiveness split the group and things have yet to recover on the club front!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Good stuff. If you get the opportunity to shoot some more video, it's worth trying to set up the camera so that it's towed behind the boat, you get a completely different perspective that way, or see if you can get another boat fitted with a camera to track you slowly around the pond. The latter is good fun, and hones both drivers skills.

Comment

• oztruck
                        Commander
                        • May 2010

Great videos John. Up in the bush at the moment and on "Dial UP", took over an hour to load but well worth ther wait. Did you use the Caswell video camera to take the video?

Cheers Chris

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by oztruck
                          Great videos John. Up in the bush at the moment and on "Dial UP", took over an hour to load but well worth ther wait. Did you use the Caswell video camera to take the video?

Cheers Chris
                          Thanks Chris.
                          Yes was the Casewell Camera - its a TOP little unit as technical ignoramuses like me can work it.
                          Best
                          J
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                            Good stuff. If you get the opportunity to shoot some more video, it's worth trying to set up the camera so that it's towed behind the boat, you get a completely different perspective that way, or see if you can get another boat fitted with a camera to track you slowly around the pond. The latter is good fun, and hones both drivers skills.
                            Thanks Andy I have seen some video's of your Lido runs with this setup. Question I have is what tether chord works best?
                            J
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

The chap that tows his pod uses a thick lump of something or other. I think he does that to avoid it getting caught around the prop, but you don't really need to worry about that with a boat like the seawolf with a shrouded prop. He uses a Flycamone2, which isn't waterproof, so he made a little cylinder for it with fins on the back to give the pod some directional stability.

I would personally have a go with some fishing line. Non-elastic, and fine so it should be near invisible underwater, and resilient, and I expect you have some already, or know someone that can give you a few feet to muck about with. You may need to add a bit of lead underneath the camera to get it to balance well, and you may also need to add some fins at the back to give it some directional stability, experimentation will yield the clues.

Comment

• ADDINGTON
                                Lieutenant
                                • Sep 2008

Does the anti-weapon group also forbid humans holding cameras in and underwater?

Comment

Working...