X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beeryboats
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

I need help with ADF2

I have everything set up and calibrated on the ADF2. But as soon as I start to turn the drive motors the dive plane servo goes nuts. The failsafe side on the balast tank does not seem to be affected. Am I getting RF noise into the ADF? And how do I fix it?
    Thanks,
    Jay
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

jay,
    I would offer the suggestion, since no one else is jumping in here, to PM KevinMc
    He is the creator of the ADF2 and a really smart guy.
    Peace,
    Tom
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Hi Jay,

Is this "dive plane servo goes nuts" situation you describe happening when you're on the bench, or in the water too? It's likely that the mechanical imbalances in your drivetrain are creating vibrations that the ADF2 is trying to counter-act. (That's the downfall of having a really fast controller!) If this is the case it's possible that your mounting tape is not providing enough mechanical isolation from your equipment tray. Before fretting about that though I'd try repeating the test with your cylinder floating in a bath-tub (sink, cooler, etc...) The additional damping of the water, and the fact that you're not bouncing on a hard table-top will likely cut the vibes to the point that the ADF2 won't be so bothered.

Let me know if this helps!
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• beeryboats
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jun 2011

Success! I think. I relocated the ADF to the bottom, but that didn't help. Then I added three layers of foam servo tape and that seems to have knocked it down by 98%. It's still a little jumpy at neutral stick, but very little. It's rock solid otherwise. And it blows balast when I turn off the transmitter. Just awesome! And so easy to set up. It did scare me a little until I went by the instructions step by step.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Yeah! Whoot!
          Time to get it wet?
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• beeryboats
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jun 2011

Still waiting for liquid water. It was 28deg this morning! It's that time of year, frozen or raining.

Comment

Working...