Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modelnut
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

This boat is on hold until I get my new work room set up. Have to build a vacuum thingamajig to eat all the dust that will be generated sanding down the nose of this beast. Moved from Georgia to South Carolina and into a better house. And I now have a bigger room in which to work.

So I haven't forgotten this thread. I just have to get duck in a row.

- Leelan

Comment

• HorribleHarry
      Ensign
      • Aug 2020

Please forgive my awakening of a zombie thread but was there any more work done on this boat? I see what happened, the I-53 in the box was renumbered I-153 by the IJN, and was a KD3a submarine.. whereas the mid war I-53 was a C3 type with the raised bow and forward hangar. Apparently some KD3 types had their bows raised but according to most pictures a majority still had the droop bow.If any more work was done on this I’d love to see more.
      Last edited by HorribleHarry; 08-28-2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Tatsu
        Ensign
        • Feb 2023

Hi everyone I bought this kit with the hopes to convert it to RC. I have experience with the lindenberg Fletcher destroyer kit but this is a whole new ball game. I have currently reached the point of putting the control surfaces and linkages together. I've pretty much built the kit as is and I'm planning on numbering her the I 153. Any tips on the RC conversion besides choose a different sub would be appreciated

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tatsu
          Hi everyone I bought this kit with the hopes to convert it to RC. I have experience with the lindenberg Fletcher destroyer kit but this is a whole new ball game. I have currently reached the point of putting the control surfaces and linkages together. I've pretty much built the kit as is and I'm planning on numbering her the I 153. Any tips on the RC conversion besides choose a different sub would be appreciated
          A two-channel destroyer is not much of an experience -- not enough challenge there to get you ready for assembling a successful r/c model submarine.

Finish this horrible kit, stick it on the wall, get Bob's book and use the internet only when a point in the book escapes you. Don't load us down with stupid question ... and, yes, there ARE stupid questions.

So. Once you have read and understand the book -- and if you're still game -- buy a 1/72 SKIPJACK kit, get all the fix'ns from Bob and jump in.

You aren't ready yet. That Lindberg kit: you chose poorly.

Do as I say or fail. Your call.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tatsu
            Ensign
            • Feb 2023

Mr Merriman I respect your opinion but I choose to gain the experience of failure with this boat. I have a skipjack as well as a Gato I have built and flown rc planes as well. Failure does not cow me from doing something. It may go up in flames but the experience will be worth it. Essayons

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

As you wish.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• type7
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2009

How does the hull come apart to put in a water tight cylinder to power it?

Comment

• Tatsu
                  Ensign
                  • Feb 2023

Originally posted by type7
                  How does the hull come apart to put in a water tight cylinder to power it?
                  It's screwed together in the center someone who built theirs in Norwich said that's how they put their cylinder in and remove it he has a nice video of his boat on youtube. I might do mine the same way I'm not sure yet. I'm trying to think if the deck opening is wide enough that I can slide it in that way.

Comment

Working...