• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcapt101974
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2011

Alanger Type 23 build

Hi Guys,
    I purchased an Alanger XXIII from ebay and it is begging to modded for rc use. I have all my gear like motors, pumps, electronics etc. I will be using a 35mm acrylic tube for the wtc. I turned my own endcaps out of nylon rod. My problems are first to calculate the ballast tank size and second how to mod the hull to accept the cylinder. Not sure if I should make a horizontal cut on the hull to make 2 halfs. Anyone have any ideas?
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

I have a Special Navy 1/72 Type XXIII and have been giving the same problem some thought. So far, I'm not convinced a WTC is the way to go but rather I've been thinking of building in compartments out of styrene (or ?) and going that way mainly for the purpose of gaining more room to install 'stuff'. A 35mm tube, to my way of thinking, is miserably small for my fingers and other 'stuff'.

Some time ago Mike Caswell was doing a poll or just asking about r/c-ing these models. At the time I was hoping it was going to lead to commercial product but, I guess, the demand and David's time just were not there.

There's a build thread going on over at the submarine forum of RC Groups entitled '1/7 type XXIII R/C conversion'. Check it out.

I'll be watching your build with interest.

My two pfennigs worth,

Dan
    Last edited by roedj; 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM. Reason: grammar
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• subcapt101974
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Feb 2011

Yeah I was thinking of building in compartments also. My servos will be waterproofed with plastidip and an oring installed between the horn and case. The servos will be installed in the wet part of the hull thus saving alot of room in the wtc. I did this with my Robbe U47 with great success.

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

I would love to see (this means pictures - lots of pictures) just how you waterproofed the servos as there have been other attempts on this and other forums purporting to show how it's done - all with only limited success over time.

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• subcapt101974
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Feb 2011

There was nothing special in my opinion in the way I did this. I dont think it was a big deal to accomplish. Simply dunk the servo in plasti dip just a little past the mounts and slide an oring between the horn and case. Of course the oring must be lubed with silicone lube and when the horn is screwed down it has to compress the oring about .015 thats it. The oring has to be nitril not neoprene. The neoprene orings are just to hard to compress to make a good seal. I had my U47 5 yrs with this setup before I sold it. With no problems till that time.

Comment

• small sub guy
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Dec 2009

I started my Type XXIII in 1/72 scale.
            Here are some picsClick image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-03 10.55.04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	76572Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-14 18.14.40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	76573

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I am seriously jealous. That looks really sweet and a great use of the 1.25" sub-driver! This will be a fun build to watch and learn from.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• small sub guy
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Dec 2009

Got my New prop from the prop shop today.
                Could not wait to put it in place to see how it looks.
                I also cast a sub driver mount.Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-18 17.38.12.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	76613

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-18 17.35.31.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	76611Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-18 17.36.03.jpg