X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

New OTW 1/32 Type VII Build

It has been a long time since I have posted anything. I know, I know... No I am not dead yet, just got smacked with a severe case of the Meh's. I have barely touched the hobby for the past 8 months or so. I did finally get a resin printer and also picked up an OTW 1/32 U-boat kit. After building the Engel Type IX for David Ruiz I decided to break character and try my hand at one of my own. I am not a big U-boat guy, having typically stuck to more modern subjects, but decided to go ahead and give it a try. My first order of business has been to clean up my basement which had gotten out of control and partially contributed to the Meh's in the first place. Slowly I have made enough progress to get my work bench cleaned off and am now able to get the parts layed out in front of me to start wrapping my head around the magnitude of this project. The kit is nice with many detail pieces and the option to use a fiberglass tower or solder one together from the brass photo etch. To test out my new resin printer I also printed a tower as another possible option to try. Clearly I have decisions to make as I go. Very possibly it will end up being a hybrid of sorts. The resin tower doesn't look horrible sitting on top of the hull at least. To start this off though I will need to build a cradle for it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20240512_151310_copy_2000x1500.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	180123

Name:	20240513_095357_copy_2000x1500.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	180124

Name:	20240513_100116_copy_2000x1500.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	180125 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240513_100140_copy_2000x1500.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	180126
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Glad you’re back. Just wait until you start those limber holes. That will get you going.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

When life socks you in the nuts, you're owed a little 'meh' time. Welcome back to the World, Steve.

Don't get bogged down with the little ****: go with the ready-to-go resin tower and get this I'll-break-something-off-even-if-you-look-at-me-funny WW2 subject in the water and working before you paint and put on all the fiddly parts.

I'm standing by to assist, you Bum!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
        Glad you’re back. Just wait until you start those limber holes. That will get you going.
        I know. That is the next order of business once the cradle is made. Lots of holes to cut.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          When life socks you in the nuts, you're owed a little 'meh' time. Welcome back to the World, Steve.

Don't get bogged down with the little ****: go with the ready-to-go resin tower and get this I'll-break-something-off-even-if-you-look-at-me-funny WW2 subject in the water and working before you paint and put on all the fiddly parts.

I'm standing by to assist, you Bum!

David
          Thanks for the chuckle David. It brightened my day.

Comment

• goshawk823
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2010

The resin tower looks awesome…right at home on the deck. I never even attempted the brass one; way too much metal smithing needed for the compound curves on the wave deflectors and the bottom of the wintergarten for me. Looking forward to your build on one of my favorite boats.

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Stand made... check.

Name:	20240518_122646_copy_2000x1500.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	180184

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

It has begun...this may take awhile.

Name:	20240518_130003_copy_2000x1500.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	180186

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Seen one OTW Type VII with the brass tower built up. it was owned by Martin Pryor, who has some vids up on Youtube. Looks very nice, one advantage is if it gets clobbered you'll get some scale looking dings and dents

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
                    Seen one OTW Type VII with the brass tower built up. it was owned by Martin Pryor, who has some vids up on Youtube. Looks very nice, one advantage is if it gets clobbered you'll get some scale looking dings and dents

Quite true! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...