X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

Yes, David
    We really do Appreciate everything you have contributed to the RC hobby. :)
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• deepseadiver
      Commander
      • Aug 2008

This looks great I'm very impressed with many ways you approached the build. I really like the fact you did not cut the submarine separation of both half's no were near the water line .You cut way more above it which is easier to hide the cut with the upper deck being attached. I like that much more then my sub, were i cut it in half at the water line and caused nothing but grief for me trying to get the two half's to look good.bNext time i will go your rout for sure you cut high enough that you can still get the WTC inside that's all that matters. The looks is more important to me then a Little issue getting the WTC in and out of the sub i will manage that.

I really like your extra crew members like the ones at your guns were did you get the other crew members, there great!
      Excellent build.

Jim Amos
      Put your mind to it. If there's a will there's a way!

Comment

• deepseadiver
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

Hi Al,
        Swing on over to my build and tell me what do you think of my Cobia.

Jim

Comment

• Anuci
          Banned
          • Aug 2008

Thanks Jim, Your build looks great. I try to keep with Dave's suggestion to KISS " Keep it simple stupid" That adage was made for me. Try this site for crew figures http://www.modelsbymickster.com/cgi-....pl?inv=Uboote or http://modelsbymickster.com/orders/ Regards, Al
          Last edited by Anuci; 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• deepseadiver
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

KISS "keep it simple stupid" I like that thinking the more simple the less chances of things going wrong. very good suggestion.
            Jim

Comment

• Boomer
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Sep 2008

Did you have much trouble with the WTC fit? I didn't see you make any comments. Anything you would do differently on the hull cut?

BTW, very nice work.
              sigpic

Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
              SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
              "Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
              "Boomers hide with Pride"

Comment

• Anuci
                Banned
                • Aug 2008

Hello Rick, Your right I probably could have provided further comments regarding the various build pics. To answer your question, I've found the wtc to fit quite nicely. In my humble opinion I don't really see the need to open the hull further than what has been shown. I would however, secured the stern portion as I did the bow by simply using stainless screws within the lip of the main hull and the stern cone instead of cementing the stern to the main hull. This would have permitted easy access to the rudder and stern plane assembly should repairs be necessary. I'm also satisfied with the manner I've secured the deck & tower to the hull using a couple countersink stainless screws painted over. I had built the boat as a working boat, and while I've tried to be as accurate to detail as possible It was never intended to be anything more than a working R/C model to have some fun with down at the pond. :) Regards, Al,
                Last edited by Anuci; 01-10-2009, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• Anuci
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2008

In these photos of the bow you have to look closely to see that there are two screws that attach the bow to the forward section of the hull.:) As mentioned this procedure could have been duplicated when attaching the stern cone, providing for easy disconnect of that portion of the hull. Regards, Al,
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Boomer
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Sep 2008

Hi Al,

Thanks for the additional information and photos.
                    sigpic

Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
                    SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
                    "Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
                    "Boomers hide with Pride"

Comment

• pjdog
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2009

Gato build

I am new to rc submarines. Seeing your Gato, deepseediver and Shamrock's Gato sure helps a newbie feel the confidence level go up that I'll be able to build a Gato and type VII. It's a big expense getting started and with zero knowledge a little scary. I assured the wife this would be fun and worth the money. You did a great job. The boat looks real good. I also like the way you opened the hull under the deck. Having to replace the 3/32 plastic after the hull cut was a concern. Having it under the deck looks good.

Thanks again for the pictures. Pictures worth a 1000 words.

Jack

Comment

• deepseadiver
                        Commander
                        • Aug 2008

Hi Jack ,
                        any thing i can help please feel free to ask happy to help a friendly submariner.

Jim A

Comment

• Anuci
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2008

Thanks Jack, In regards to this build you'll find that the cost of the kit is minimal in comparison to some other resin fiberglass kits. You may want to first build the kit to specifications and when satisfied with functions and appearance then move to purchase the more costly items necessary to make the boat radio controlled, and all that it can be. Just a consideration to offset the overall cost factor and keep the bride at bay for the time being. Al,
                          Last edited by Anuci; 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• pjdog
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2009

gato build

Al:

I got tired of waiting on the type VII fittings kit and decided to start my Gato. Studing your really nice Gato, I was wondering want happens to the part of the hull you remove. Do you throw it away? Also, did you have to provide any under deck support? I'd like to see a picture of the bottom of your deck.

The type VII was to be my first boat but the Gato is now. Thanks.

Jack

Comment

• toppack
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Nov 2008

Here's some pics of my Gato before it was completed, with deck assembly setting up above hull.
                              These may give some ideas of how I did the separation lines, etc.
                              Sorry about poor picture quality.
                              Attached Files
                              Rick L.
                              --------------------------------------------
                              * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                              Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• pjdog
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2009

Gato build (deck)

In David Merrimans gato build he shows adding to white plastic to the bottom three decking pieces at the joint for add support. What did you do that. Or did you have another idea to help support the decking sense we are removing so much hull. What's why I wanted to see the bottom view of Al's the deck. Somebodys deck. I'm pretty much trying to follow Al's
                                build. This is my first sub and the going is slow. There are lots of great Gato's on the form and I'm watch them all looking for solutions to my many questions.

Thank's Jack

Comment

Working...