X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

1/72 598 boomer molds

This was the class of boat I served on. 598 SSBN. Was on the Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602. 1/72 as usual. 63" with a 6" beam. Made the separate mold for the turtle deck as only way to do. Sail molds, turtle deck molds and appendage molds done. Making the hull molds this week as hull plug is done. Going to make a few kits. Boat has some serious rudders on it so boat should turn real good.
    Attached Files
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

Nice! Impressive as always!
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Nice! I hope you go commercial with this.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

Going to start with 3 kits on hand to see how it goes. Thinking about doing a 1/48 Foxtrot with those Boris plans I have.

Comment

• type7
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Apr 2009

Let me know when you get it for sale. I'd even be interested in the parts you have made already.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
            Going to start with 3 kits on hand to see how it goes. Thinking about doing a 1/48 Foxtrot with those Boris plans I have.
            You *** TEASE!!!!!!

Plug me in on that!!!!!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
              Captain
              • Jan 2017

Type7 is that Bob Eissler? I will have half of the hull molds done today. Have hull molds done next week. 598 is an epoxy resin glass cloth chewing up boat mold. Boat will make heads turn at your favorite watering hole.

Comment

• Davjacva
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2022

I have a buddy I knew in the navy, but also became the other hydraulic lead on Virginia Class, well his first boat was the 598, and was on it when it collided and sank that Japanese fishing trawler back in (1978?). Years later when I first met him he was on the Greenville, and yes, he was on it when it sank that Japanese (research vessel?) off of Oahu. So there was a trend here, and I illustrated to him that he participated in having the highest Post-war Japanese tonnage sunk. The 598's were just so unique compared to the follow-on boomer classes.

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

I was on maneuver's in 1978 off coast of Guam, we were doing practice torpedo's (MK-37) shooting at a TR. Russian AGI was checking us out close. 37 shut down and before TR could haul 37 in Ivan grabbed it first and made off with it first. Mk-37 no biggie. Have a nice day Ivan.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

I was there at the time serving on the Teddy Roo. The fish was ultimately returned with a case of vodka after some nautical "persuation". I think the range procedures were modeified after that. The AGI off Apra harbor was pretty active. They chased us around a bit when we would head off on patrol. The women onboard sure looked a lot better on the inbound leg.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by CC Clarke
                      I was there at the time serving on the Teddy Roo. The fish was ultimately returned with a case of vodka after some nautical "persuation". I think the range procedures were modeified after that. The AGI off Apra harbor was pretty active. They chased us around a bit when we would head off on patrol. The women onboard sure looked a lot better on the inbound leg.
                      It wasn't the AGI's that spooked me. It was our trained Dolphins within the harbor -- as a boat diver I had to get clearance from the 'trainers' out there on their barge before getting into the water to grease ball valves or wrenching on sanitary tank discharge flanges. Rumor had it the mammals were outfitted with 'bang-sticks'.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

I was a ping jockey on the Lincoln. 6 on 12 off. I used to instigate awesome trim parties on the off time. Best boat to do trim parties on was a 598. Huge Skipjack torpedo room. 6 tubes forward. Use to **** off the OOD and diving chiefs with those trim parties.

Comment

• 598602G
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2017

Finally, 598 hull molds are done.

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

One 598 kit is already spoken for. Here is the next kit coming up. 1/72 Lafayette. About 71" long. Just to let you guys know I sold Don molds for a 1/72 Echo II.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 598602G; 11-11-2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                              Commander
                              • Sep 2020

Great subjects all! How much does the SSBN 598 class 1/72 model parts sell for? Telll us more about the 1/48 Foxtrot please. Any other kits of this huge important class of subs?

Steve

Comment

Working...